• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Team Fortress 2 now free

Nevyrmoore

AKA Ass-Bandit
Valve Press Release said:
Valve, creators of bestselling game franchises (such as Half-Life, Portal, Left 4 Dead, and Counter-Strike) and leading technologies (such as Steam and Source), announced today that after four years and over 200 updates, its popular and critically-acclaimed online action game Team Fortress 2 (TF2) is now Free To Play (F2P).

The F2P announcement comes as part of the "Über Update". Released today, it is the largest content pack delivered to TF2 since it shipped in 2007.
Alright, so what does this actually mean? Well, it appears that if you don't mind not having a few extras, you can play TF2 on PC and Mac for free - no buying of the game required. These "extras" are the following-
  • Limited to 50 backpack slots
  • Standard item drops only
  • Limited crafting blueprints
  • Can only receive items through trading
  • Can only receive gifts
Everything else? Completely free. For those who want to remove these limits, however, all you need to do is to either have bought the game before it became free-to-play, activate a retail copy of the game, or buy something in the Mann Co. store. For those who already owned the game, or those who activate a retail copy, you get a Proof of Purchase hat. As if the game needed any more fucking hats.

So yeah, TF2. F2P. Now you don't have an excuse not to try it out.

dDave

V.I.P.
I've had the game for a few years, I've played it a ton and have enjoyed it immensely.

But I don't think the game would be all that great if the game couldn't award you items. I don't really do gifts so that wouldn't affect me.

50 backpack slots isn't a ton but it's doable.

Yeah I'd like to see a GF dedicated server for this game but I know that won't happen, maybe we could organize a game though.

Nevyrmoore

AKA Ass-Bandit
The game does award free players with items. But you don't get any rare or cosmetic items.

I haven't actually played the game for a long time. When I did, I used to play on a clan server. Group's called UKManDown, and describes themselves as "the world's largest bunch of n00bs, ever".

CuttingOliver

Registered Member
I have had this game for a long time now, it rocks. I don't like that it has gone F2P, i think it is unfair on the people who have bought the game. All we get is a god damn hat. This game is really good and i think that if people want to play it, they should have to buy it.

KSpiceFantastic

Haters gonna hate.
I think this means we may be seeing TF3? I hope so.

I plan on downloading it soon and getting my hands dirty with some Team Fortress lovin'. I wanna get my Pyro on.

Nevyrmoore

AKA Ass-Bandit
I have had this game for a long time now, it rocks. I don't like that it has gone F2P, i think it is unfair on the people who have bought the game. All we get is a god damn hat. This game is really good and i think that if people want to play it, they should have to buy it.
Bear in mind that free accounts are limited in what equipment they can get, and other things. People who paid for it don't just get a hat; they also have 300 backpack slots, which can be expanded to 1000 (free accounts get 50); standard, rare and cosmetic item drops (free accounts get standard only); all crafting blueprints available (free accounts have limited blueprints); full trading (free accounts can only recieve); and can send and recieve gifts (free accounts recieve only).

Also bear in mind that TF2 isn't really just a game any more, it's evolved into a sort of social system; people are effectively paying to express themselves through their avatars.
------
I think this means we may be seeing TF3? I hope so.
Why on earth would they make a TF3? What exactly would they change about TF to justify a third one?

Last edited:

dDave

V.I.P.
Why on earth would they make a TF3? What exactly would they change about TF to justify a third one?
That's what I was just about to ask.

TF2 is so perfect in so many ways there is no reason to make a third one unless they think of something revolutionary that would improve the game immensely but then again they could just make it an update to the current game.

There are a few places where the game has some graphical glitches for me at random times and I don't like how a few little pieces of the game are set up. But there is no reason they should need to make a TF3 anytime soon.

Vincent_Valentine

Studley-Do-Right
When I found out that TF2 was free now, I got super excited. I have many fond memories of playing TFC, and really wanted to finally give TF2 a chance. Then I remembered that my computer is god-awful, and confirmed that my computer doesn't even meet the minimum recommended specs to run the game. So looks like I won't be playing TF2 any time soon sadly...

KSpiceFantastic

Haters gonna hate.
There are a few places where the game has some graphical glitches for me at random times and I don't like how a few little pieces of the game are set up. But there is no reason they should need to make a TF3 anytime soon.
I think making a new one would be a fresh title. Make it discounted, have many more maps and I would get it.

Xeilo

V.I.P.
Since this was free I have played it a few times, it ain't a bad game but nothing I would pay for. I only play it everynow and then for something diffrent and a little fun.