Teaching the Bible in public schools?

StroShow

The return shall be legenday!
V.I.P.
Is it possible to teach the Bible in public schools without violating the First Amendment and more importantly, violating students' rights?

oxyMORON

A Darker Knight
As a religion or social studies class, sure, but I think you would have to include other religious texts too. Why just the Bible?

They would have to be careful not to preach though, which is what many people might be afraid of.

hinderthis

Registered Member
they have religion studies in colleges, but it's broad and mostly historical (I think.) I think teaching the bible in a public school would cause parents to go crazy, like the one guy who wanted his kid taken out of school because of the pledge.

Mirage

Administrator
Staff member
V.I.P.
Sure it is. All of the first public schools in America taught the Bible. It was the book kids read while they learned to read. This all under the noses of the people who wrote/approved the Constitution and the First Amendment.

Merc

Certified Shitlord
V.I.P.
Sure it is. All of the first public schools in America taught the Bible. It was the book kids read while they learned to read. This all under the noses of the people who wrote/approved the Constitution and the First Amendment.
Doesn't make it right, though.

In the case of public schools, religions should not be taught unless in a historical sense that covers numerous religions and not just one. No religions should be encouraged or 'taught' in that sense. If it's a private school, then they're allowed to teach what they want. But in public schools, on my dollars, I don't want it.

BigBob

Registered Member
As long as its optional and not forced onto kids, I see no problem. They offered a historical bible class my senior year of high school. Only about 6 kids took it though so I don't think it'll really "stick"

NINnerd

Survived a M&G with Trent
The OP never said that the content of the bible would be taught as "the truth". Therefore, it is entirely possible to teach it - as a piece of literature and nothing more. It's taught in literature class all the time in college, right alongside Shin-eqi-unninni's Gilgamesh and Homer's The Odyssey.

oxyMORON

A Darker Knight
The OP never said that the content of the bible would be taught as "the truth". Therefore, it is entirely possible to teach it - as a piece of literature and nothing more. It's taught in literature class all the time in college, right alongside Shin-eqi-unninni's Gilgamesh and Homer's The Odyssey.
In that case, they could have an excerpt from it as a part of the English curriculum. I had been thinking that there had to be an entire class dedicated to it.

Minimint1

Registered Member
They are surposed to offer it as an option if the school wishes, but is not mandatory and the children can choose to opt out if they wish. The school can't force catholic beleifs on them (or any other religion for that matter).

Last edited:

StroShow

The return shall be legenday!
V.I.P.
I'm opposed to teaching the Bible in school unless it is part of a comparative religion course, or a literature course that includes the texts of other religions. I believe the call to teach Bible in public schools is a ploy to have the Christian religion recognized over other religions. If the Bible is taught to the exclusion of other religious texts it will open the door to Christians imposing more of their beliefs on others via the legislative process as they are trying to do now.