• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Teacher status and how the US stacks up

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
Debate about how to keep up with countries that perform best on international tests has been percolating for years in the United States. Now there’s a new comparison to consider – one that ranks 21 countries on the status of teachers, a factor that experts say can influence the effectiveness of education.

Teacher status around the world: how the US stacks up - CSMonitor.com
China of course came in at number one and the US at number nine. Which didn't surprise me, actually I thought the US's score might be lower than that.

Seems some of the best performing countries look at their teachers on the same level as a social worker while the US looks at them on the same level as a librarian. China sees their teacher's more on the same level as a doctor. I don't know about that unless they are holding a Phd or two. Personally I think the social worker status fits better for a teacher because besides teaching you are usually dealing with their problems too.

One thing I think we should start emulating that other countries do is hiring people from the top one third of their class and pay them more. Some of our teachers barely qualify and if they are marginal, I bet their teaching ability is also marginal. I had a few of those when I was in school, people that really shouldn't of been teachers to begin with.

How do you see teachers in your country? Doctors, social workers or librarians? What do you think about the quality of teachers you've had?

Merc

Certified Shitlord
V.I.P.
People do not seem to give a shit about education here. They don't want funding for it, they don't want teachers to earn a workable wage so we have a country full of shitty public schools with sparse funding and a country that continues to see intelligence as a burden more than a necessity.

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
People really need to wake up when it comes to education here. These kids will one day be running this country, they will be our future scientists or doctors. This is an investment we can't afford as a nation to skimp on. They are the ones that will keep the US on top of its game.

idisrsly

I'm serious
V.I.P.
SA didn't even make the list. :( But that doesn't surprise me in the least. Teachers here have a thankless job (my mother is a teacher). My mother will be retiring this December, and at the end of her career, she earns about $200 a month less than I do, and I don't consider myself to have an exceptionally high paying career. It's shameful, honestly.

In a perfect world, top students will be recruited and paid decent salaries. It would be great to see that happen. Sadly, not everyone seems to really realize of care that the education of the youth is one of the most important things in life, if not THE most important thing for our future.

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
Earlier I said I didn't see teachers on the same level as doctors. I'm sort of changing my mind about that because there wouldn't be any doctors if it wasn't for teachers. None of us would have a career if it wasn't for teachers. Of course it takes a desire in the student as well.

Teachers are the future of any country and the quality of the teachers a school hires should be taken more seriously.

Taliesin

Registered Member
I see teachers as being vitally important to society. Everything begins with a sound education, and if we're not willing to pour our time and resources into making our education system the best it can be then we suffer as a result.

Starting salaries for teachers here in Australia begin at around the $35,000 mark I believe, ranging up to about $70,000 for principals. However, this does vary from state to state.

idisrsly

I'm serious
V.I.P.
Starting salaries for teachers here in Australia begin at around the $35,000 mark I believe, ranging up to about $70,000 for principals. However, this does vary from state to state.
Umm, wow. Teachers salaries over here start at around US$10,500 per year. Principals probably range in the US$45,500 area, maximum. Now keep in mind, you can't really just look at that, as the cost of living is cheaper here as well. But the starting salary mentioned there is pretty ridiculous for someone entrusted with educating the youth. :(

Taliesin

Registered Member
Umm, wow. Teachers salaries over here start at around US$10,500 per year. Principals probably range in the US$45,500 area, maximum. Now keep in mind, you can't really just look at that, as the cost of living is cheaper here as well. But the starting salary mentioned there is pretty ridiculous for someone entrusted with educating the youth. :(
You make a good point about the cost of living there, idi. Here, $35,000 would be very difficult to live on, whereas $70,000 is a pretty sweet deal. However, I guess even that higher figure doesn't necessarily take into account the long hours outside of the school timetable that teachers put in to lesson preparation and things like that. They probably still earn a lot less than what they put into their jobs.

idisrsly

I'm serious
V.I.P.
You make a good point about the cost of living there, idi. Here, $35,000 would be very difficult to live on, whereas $70,000 is a pretty sweet deal. However, I guess even that higher figure doesn't necessarily take into account the long hours outside of the school timetable that teachers put in to lesson preparation and things like that. They probably still earn a lot less than what they put into their jobs.
Even with the cost of living being far less here than there, $10,500 is hard to make a living on. Especially if it's a single income living. My mother always says they get a lot of school holidays, but don't get paid for holidays as teachers. I think it's really sad that the educators don't get taken care of better. What motivation is there for really top educators to go in that line of work when the money is going to be so bad?