• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Teacher fired for humiliating bully

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
This kids was blowing mucus, probably spitting, used bad language even shoved another kid down, typical bully. In order to get this kid to change his ways she put him up in front of class to discuss his behavior. Now she has been fired for it.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ic-humiliation-child-asked-stop-bullying.html

I think what she did was the right thing, he wasn't expelled or getting his butt beat. She just made him face his actions and hear about how it made his victims feel. Better that kid learn how his actions effect others now than later when someone might get mad and hurt him or he ends up in jail because he doesn't know the meaning of limitations.

Thoughts?

Stego

Registered Member
This sort of stuff is why I don't teach elementary anymore. Perfectly good degree and teaching license I just threw out because parents are insane, administrators and insane, and schools are just insane. They're all freaking insane.

K-5...they're just too young to know all of the politics and understand what's going on. They lack the full hypothetical reasoning and instead get used as vessels into which adults pour their vitriol and vendettas.

I can't be sure she didn't fully lose it on the kid. There are days when you want to scream and claw at the walls. I've seen sweetheart idealistic teachers-in-training lose it and just make a child cry on purpose without blinking. Things can get out of hand real quick.

That being said, it sounds like the board and a lot of other administrators just had it out for her already. Education is a top-down endeavor like people don't even know. It would appear they're jumping on this as a way to push her out in order to roll through new changes or influence other teachers. Like most things, it's political and money related.

Now let me paint the other side of the fence...

I have seen a lot of "popular" teachers at all levels get a bunch of supporters like a cult and get really hard to get rid of. My girlfriend had a high school band director pretty much exactly like the lead teacher in the movie Whiplash--a force of nature who was adored and loved by parents who felt he was pushing their students (and district) to success in music and regional competitions and all sorts of things, as well as students who basically got Stockholm Syndrome. Dissenters were shut down, ostracized, and attacked. Students were traumatized and their paths to college destroyed because of him. It finally came out that he truly was emotionally and physically abusing students beyond just the "I'm going to push you to be amazing and the best you can."

Teachers don't "work together," they just don't in general--especially in elementary schools. More often than not they're working in a way that balances everyone out so that there is just a herd of zebras, everyone blending in and sticking to the rules. They start parroting each others phrases, reinforcing each others bad habits, etc... Slack off too much and no one wants to be associated with you because they fear the guilt by association, but shine too bright and resist the bureaucracy of administrators and you may find yourself getting sabotaged or set up.

Again on the other side, I was bullied intensely in elementary school. I had stomach pains, insomnia, and my grades suffered. I can't recall a person of authority defending me outright because, as you see, it is very easy for that person to get crucified. It's also too easy to just start losing it and taking out your own childhood trauma on a bully in the class you're teaching because now you're big and they're small. I worked in both the counseling office as an intern and in the classrooms as an adult. It's like you're perfectly allowed to scream at children, but the minute you start to work through a scenario that makes them think about their actions people get weirded out and think they're being water-boarded.

I think it's less to do with the children involved and more to do with personal politics.

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
The people on the school board that made the decision to fire her may find themselves fired. Seems many people liked her and thought she was a great teacher.

Too often nothing is said to a bully about their behavior until some kid gets seriously hurt or kills themselves. Something needs to be done well before then.

Stego

Registered Member
And that's the thing as a teacher, your hands are tied for trying to really intervene on bullying issues. Your classroom is packed because of budget cuts, your day is full of prepping kids for meaningless standardized tests, and you're losing sleep always trying to catch up. If you try to discipline a child in a healthy way, you get crucified by an entitled parent.

A kid was bullying me in the 3rd grade on the playground, had been for a while. I forget everything leading up to it. I only remember him pointing and laughing, the girls behind him pointing and laughing, and then me kicking him square in the balls and him falling over and crying. This was early 90s so I mean, it was the blossoming of the "no tolerance--you both get suspended no matter what" days. He was out of school for a week. The principal, a gentle middle-aged man, took me into the hallway and asked, "Why did you kick him in the privates?" I think I cried hysterically and said basically that he was hurting me and no one was stopping it.

He just nodded and sent me back to class. The kid stopped bullying me. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

A few of the girls in my 5th grade I taught, however, were devious and doing their bullying through texts and in the bathroom. Holy jeezes was that a tangled mess. It was like the Middle East--it had been going on for ages, we couldn't tell who started it, and we didn't know how to help. Lawl.

Merc

Certified Shitlord
V.I.P.
I'm with Steg here, I'm seeing few sides here.

Firstly, like some people, I was bullied heavily in elementary and middle school. I have no shame in admitting that I wanted at least two of my classmates dead. My raw, unfiltered emotions came from consistent and unstopped bullying. This story is straight out of one of my prepubescent fantasies. Drag the bully to the front of the class and shred them. It sounds like this teacher tried to at least make it constructive

On the other hand, it's been my experience that most bullies are hurting just as much as their victims. They transfer the abuses they suffer onto others in many cases. I can only imagine how humiliating it must have been to be put on display in front of the class. As much as many of us, myself included, would like to say this is just the bully getting what they deserve, the likelihood of it helping stop the bullying behavior is not very high.

I'm going to conclude my thoughts by saying she should have been suspended. I'm not keen on the firing but the teacher certainly didn't solve anything.

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
In some cases I bet they are being abused at home or totally ignored. However I bet many just get off on pushing people around.

Merc

Certified Shitlord
V.I.P.
In some cases I bet they are being abused at home or totally ignored. However I bet many just get off on pushing people around.
Every kid that bullied me had a situation that explained it. A few of them were low income families with absent/abusive parents. One was being beaten around by his older brother. Another had a sister with a questionable reputation and got ragged on by upperclassmen. It's obviously just my experience, but I think it's more often than not a transference of abuses.

I don't think most kids have grown or matured enough to learn sadism.

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
Sounds like child services should have been called in that case. Still no matter the reason you can't ignore bullies. They may have been abused, I'm betting many haven't, still action needs to be taken.

Maybe some don't have to learn sadism its just in them to be that way because of mental problems. Someone like that needs help but no need to let them hurt other children possibly turning them into mass murderers or the cause of them committing suicide.

Many mass murderers have been victims of bullying, like Adam Lanza. Not that it excuses their actions no more than it excuses the actions of a bully where a bad situation at home has caused their behavior. Help should be provided for the victim and even the bully if there is a reason other than them just being asses.