• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Politics Tea Party vs McConnell

dDave

V.I.P.
It's looking as if the Republicans will in fact take a majority in the senate. The degree of that majority is yet to be decided.

If the Republicans don't gain a majority at all then I should hope that every honest person out there will feel pretty certain that the Democrats cheated.

Cruz poised to make life miserable for Mitch McConnell - CNN.com

Anyway, it looks like Mitch McConnell may have some opposition from within his own party in this upcoming session of Congress (assuming that McConnell even wins tomorrow). The Tea Party is fed up with the establishment GOP. The more conservative wing of the GOP may try to get somebody else up there (maybe Marco Rubio or Rand Paul) as majority leader rather than McConnell.

I would easily put more faith in McConnell over Reid but I still am not exactly a fan of McConnell.

Thoughts?

MenInTights

not a plastic bag
I love Cruz.

But this:
The first priority next year, he told the Post, should be a string of hearings on President Barack Obama, "looking at the abuse of power, the executive abuse, the regulatory abuse, the lawlessness that sadly has pervaded this administration."
I don't know. I agree with Cruz, but what's the point? You can impeach him but its going to be very painful and the next President, R or D is going to pardon him. There are many positive things the Republican Senate can work on. Get Americans behind tax reform, healthcare reform, etc. Maybe Obama will sign it but it he doesn't have the bills waiting on the 2016 President.

dDave

V.I.P.
I love Cruz.

But this:

I don't know. I agree with Cruz, but what's the point? You can impeach him but its going to be very painful and the next President, R or D is going to pardon him. There are many positive things the Republican Senate can work on. Get Americans behind tax reform, healthcare reform, etc. Maybe Obama will sign it but it he doesn't have the bills waiting on the 2016 President.
Oh I agree, getting rid of McConnell is a small deal in the grand scheme of things.

Also, on the point of the next president pardoning him. I do not believe that the president should have the legal authority to pardon after that.

What I'd like to see come out of both houses of congress in the next 2 years...

-Good immigration reform
-A good fix for healthcare
-Tax code reform
-Cutting the budget as much as possible (and starting to pay our debt back)
-Pro-life legislation outlawing abortion
-Downsizing the government significantly
-etc.
-etc.

It's a lot to ask for any one of these things, especially with our current president, but I sure hope we're able to get some stuff to the president that he actually considers and agrees with.

I'm worried he may act on immigration alone and won't be stopped. Why else would he order tens of millions of blank green cards? (there is literally no other reason)

US Civil Rights Commissioner: Is Obama Admin Preparing to Grant 34 Million Immigrants Green Cards?

MenInTights

not a plastic bag
What you're saying and what I agree with is they need to build the 2016 campaign. They need to have 30 bills waiting for the next president and make that the entire campaign. If I'm elected, I will sign all 30 or If I'm elected, I will veto all 30. 2016 needs to be the most simple and straightforward election ever.

The_Chameleon

Grandmaster
So what you end up with is 15 things to appease the opposition and 15 things you actually agree with. Pack in what nobody wants with what everybody wants and it'll get through. Meanwhile, the country ends up no better off for any of it.

- Cham

dDave

V.I.P.
So what you end up with is 15 things to appease the opposition and 15 things you actually agree with. Pack in what nobody wants with what everybody wants and it'll get through. Meanwhile, the country ends up no better off for any of it.

- Cham
I'm pretty sure he isn't saying that. The fact that the next president would either sign or veto all 30 implies all the bills would be for the same viewpoint. I'm pulling for Conservative!

I think the days of compromise and appeasement in congress are behind us.

The_Chameleon

Grandmaster
I'm pretty sure he isn't saying that. The fact that the next president would either sign or veto all 30 implies all the bills would be for the same viewpoint. I'm pulling for Conservative!

I think the days of compromise and appeasement in congress are behind us.
Ha, and people call me a dreamer.

This is the age of stalemates. The parties are no different from each other, they both exist to bog down government so that in the chaos the corporations that own the politicians can get through the bills they want and stalemate everything else. It's all BS. Is there anyone running on a platform of government transparency and adding more checks and balances to prevent conflicts of interest? People will be so sick of all the bickering and games they'll vote for anything just to end it and that is pretty much what they are counting on.

- Cham

Last edited:

dDave

V.I.P.
Ha, and people call me a dreamer.

This is the age of stalemates. The parties are no different from each other, they both exist to bog down government so that in the chaos the corporations that own the politicians can get through the bills they want and stalemate everything else. It's all BS. Is there anyone running on a platform of government transparency and adding more checks and balances to prevent conflicts of interest? People will be so sick of all the bickering and games they'll vote for anything just to end it and that is pretty much what they are counting on.

- Cham
People call me a dreamer too. ;)

The issues with the Democrats and Establishment GOP are the reason that I support the tea party. There are some that actually want and know how to fix some of our problems.

We may not be able to get out of this two party system but we can get a lot of transformation inside the parties. I think we're starting to see that happen with the Republicans and the Tea Party.

The_Chameleon

Grandmaster
Excuse me, but isn't it the Tea Party that is most blamed for stalling out government? Holding the nations economy as a bargaining chip to get Obamacare squashed is not my idea of productive. They knew as well as anyone that this couldn't happen, but they demanded it anyway. Like fighting over the reigns while the stagecoach barrels toward a cliff. It's all just part of the (now 3 ring) circus.

- Cham

P.S. I am eager to hear your response to my post in your 2014 Election thread. :)

Last edited:

Van

Heavy Weapons Guy
V.I.P.
Excuse me, but isn't it the Tea Party that is most blamed for stalling out government? Holding the nations economy as a bargaining chip to get Obamacare squashed is not my idea of productive. They knew as well as anyone that this couldn't happen, but they demanded it anyway. Like fighting over the reigns while the stagecoach barrels toward a cliff. It's all just part of the (now 3 ring) circus.

- Cham

P.S. I am eager to hear your response to my post in your 2014 Election thread. :)
If the 17% of the government that was shut down, was STILL shut down to this day, and Obamacare had not been implemented, the country in general AND the economy would be doing better than it is now, so yes if the repukelicans had actually held the line maybe we could be better off. And that would have been productive. They caved about as fast as the nobles in Braveheart.

McConnell will likely be the next leader of the Senate. And I have no confidence he will be good because he and most of the other republican leaders haven't been doing a good job of opposing when they are in the minority, so how could they do a good job of leading in the majority? Could they be as bad as the dumocraps? Probably not, but even so. If you think the Tea Party has actually been in charge of anything in DC you need to do some more reading.

The most important thing we have to do is cut spending. And that means cutting entitlements. And that means life is going to suck for a lot of people. Doing the cuts that actually have to happen to the budget would be very painful. Do I have confidence that repukelicans controlling congress will mean they will actually balance the budget? No, in fact, if I had to bet I would bet the farm that they won't. They'll drive off the cliff, but in a red car instead of a blue, but still at the same speed.

The Tea Party is the only group actually pushing to cut spending and stop the race towards the cliff. But it depends what media you watch/read. Some would have you believe the Tea Party is full of racist and bigots and people who want to bring back slavery. I hang in Tea Party circles quite a bit and haven't caught even a whiff of any of that.

But I digress.