• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Tea Party FTW!

Gavik

Registered Member
I actually understand what you're saying. The wins, as impressive and exciting as they are will not turn the Republican party into a reform party. Instead, they will steer the party further right.

2012 will be the key year as there are many Democrat Senators up for re-election. There also will be a TeaParty candidate on the Republican ticket I'm sure. Probably the honorable Jim Demint.

Time will tell. By 2013, the Republican party will either be the same GOP having co-opted the TeaParty candidates or they will be a TeaParty lead reformed GOP. It really comes down to can the TeaParty sustain the momentum that has built over the past year.
Neither party in a 2 party system can ever bring about true reform. They must always appeal to at least 51% of the nation. Such marketing requirements limit any radical departure from the status quo.

This is why the Tea Party cannot work within the Republican Party. But even if they run as a 3rd party, they'll have to address the issues listed before. They can't pretend that other issues don't exist.

MenInTights

not a plastic bag
Neither party in a 2 party system can ever bring about true reform. They must always appeal to at least 51% of the nation. Such marketing requirements limit any radical departure from the status quo.

This is why the Tea Party cannot work within the Republican Party. But even if they run as a 3rd party, they'll have to address the issues listed before. They can't pretend that other issues don't exist.
We probably have different ideas about true reform. I bring this up all the time, but Calvin Coolidge reduced the federal government by 40%, cut taxes across the board, returned power back to the states and retired 25% of the federal debt. That to me is true reform. I'd really like to hear your idea of true reform. I'd bet we have at least some things we agree on on the matter.

pro2A

Hell, It's about time!
I think everyone here is missing the point behind the Tea Party (and endorsed candidates). It just goes to show that Americans are tired of the status quo, elitist "I deserve to be here" attitude from Washington. The politicians that hold those views are from BOTH parties... and subsequently getting their asses handed to them in the primaries.

The Tea Party is anti-establishment which is proven by the candidates they endorse, and not the status quo.

Last edited: