• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Tea Party FTW!

SmilinSilhouette

Registered Member
They're the ones bringing it up.
Some are bringing it up, they don't represent all. (no matter how hard you try to paint all with the views of some)

According to the make up of self proclaimed members. Why so defensive?
Source? Why so offensive? (not as in to offend, but as the opposite of defensive). Could it be that this movement threatens to disrupt the current big government liberal/left status quo?

Gavik

Registered Member
Some are bringing it up, they don't represent all. (no matter how hard you try to paint all with the views of some)
I'm not painting anyone with anything. They have to take those stances on those issues if they're going to win any primaries or elections.

Source? Why so offensive? (not as in to offend, but as the opposite of defensive).
The majority of teapartiers are white conservative christians. It's just a fact, and only a smear if you make it one. I was simply responding to your assertion that it was a "diverse movement."

Could it be that this movement threatens to disrupt the current big government liberal/left status quo?
Not really, seeing as how the left and right status quo are exactly the same.

SmilinSilhouette

Registered Member
I'm not painting anyone with anything.
You are the one that brought all those other issues into the discussion. I suspect that your reason is to put those of us that support the tea party on the defensive.

They have to take those stances on those issues if they're going to win any primaries or elections.
That is your opinion, I don't agree. Actually I think it is a bad move that dilutes the unifying anti-federalism. I think the tea party will be more successful if they stick to opposition to the current big government crowd.

The majority of teapartiers are white conservative christians.
According to you. Otherwise you would provide a credible source.
It's just a fact, and only a smear if you make it one.
Again, according to you. I never said it was a smear. It is just a stereotype that those in opposition would like to perpetuate.
I was simply responding to your assertion that it was a "diverse movement."
Which is my opinion and I stand by that unless you have substantial evidence to the contrary.

Not really, seeing as how the left and right status quo are exactly the same.
Not exactly the same, but I will concede that republicans started acting more like democrats and that is why tea partiers need to retake the republican party.

Last edited:

Gavik

Registered Member
You are the one that brought all those other issues into the discussion. I suspect that your reason is to put those of us that support the tea party on the defensive.
You've dodged the debate and gone after me personally. Any further discussion between us is tainted. I'm more than happy to carry on the conversation with MiT or CO, but I will not be responding to you in this topic.

SmilinSilhouette

Registered Member
You've dodged the debate and gone after me personally.
I dodged nothing, I refuted an ancillary distraction. I also provided my opinion as to why someone might choose this technique of misdirection to marginalize the movement and dismiss it.

Any further discussion between us is tainted.
:lol: you wrote "taint" :lol: Now there's a dodge!

I'm more than happy to carry on the conversation with MiT or CO, but I will not be responding to you in this topic.
Smilin' FTW!

Just to recap: Tea Party is a grassroots force to be reckoned with this election cycle. It is primarily an anti-federalist movement that (hopefully) will not become derailed by those that try to stereotype, fractionalize, divide, mischaracterize, and marginalize. It provides hope and a "big tent" that can include those that may or may not support the same or similar ancillary issues. Ruling class elites are in trouble unless they can come together to divide, marginalize, and/or co-opt the movement.

MenInTights

not a plastic bag
Just to recap: Tea Party is a grassroots force to be reckoned with this election cycle. It is primarily an anti-federalist movement that (hopefully) will not become derailed by those that try to stereotype, fractionalize, divide, mischaracterize, and marginalize. It provides hope and a "big tent" that can include those that may or may not support the same or similar ancillary issues. Ruling class elites are in trouble unless they can come together to divide, marginalize, and/or co-opt the movement.
That.....was one hellofa recap. I think we're done here. lol.

MenInTights

not a plastic bag
Sen. Murkowski's defeat marks major tea party win - Yahoo! News

How about that!? Establishment ruling class republican candidate loses against Tea Party candidate. Now that is my kind of hope & change!

Is this the conservative/libertarian ascendancy that many of us are hoping for? Will the ruling class get the message?
And we may have another one coming tomorrow:
Delaware Senate Race: A Kamikaze Republican and the Tea Party - ABC News

My favorite line:
"I have no doubt if she by some miracle became the nominee she would lose the seat by unprecedented numbers," Delaware Republican Party chairman Tom Ross said.
:lol: hilarious. The Republican party chair is trying to destroy her. What was that someone said about the TeaParty being a subset of the Republicans?

Gavik

Registered Member
The Republican party chair is trying to destroy her. What was that someone said about the TeaParty being a subset of the Republicans?
How does this show that they're not. Infighting has always been part of the party system, especially in election season. Not to mention the fact that she's running as a republican.

MenInTights

not a plastic bag
How does this show that they're not. Infighting has always been part of the party system, especially in election season. Not to mention the fact that she's running as a republican.
I actually understand what you're saying. The wins, as impressive and exciting as they are will not turn the Republican party into a reform party. Instead, they will steer the party further right.

2012 will be the key year as there are many Democrat Senators up for re-election. There also will be a TeaParty candidate on the Republican ticket I'm sure. Probably the honorable Jim Demint.

Time will tell. By 2013, the Republican party will either be the same GOP having co-opted the TeaParty candidates or they will be a TeaParty lead reformed GOP. It really comes down to can the TeaParty sustain the momentum that has built over the past year.