• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Tea Party FTW!

Gavik

Registered Member
Wow, I agree, that questionnaire is fucked up. I would answer #3 as I agree. Then when I back gay marriage and called on it by the Tea Party I'd argue "The question asks what defines gay marriage presently, it doesn't say how it should be defined now":lol:
The one that made me drop my liberal elitist monocle was #10. "Blood-borne diseases in the theatre of battle." Uh, what do they think is going on in the military?

SmilinSilhouette

Registered Member
The tea party movement was NOT started because of opposition to abortion or gay marriage, global warming hoax, defense of gun rights or any of the other ancillary issues. In my opinion the common thread among this diverse movement is anti-federalism. Trying to peg the movement to any of these other issues is, to me, irrelevant. Massive government spending and deficits, corporate bailouts, overreaching federal government, unpopular and unconstitutional healthcare takeover, etc. and the inevitable tax increases that will be forced upon the 55% of us that actually pay income taxes are the type of things that bind people together that may or may not agree on the other fringe issues that have been brought up.

Gavik

Registered Member
The tea party movement was NOT started because of opposition to abortion or gay marriage, global warming hoax, defense of gun rights or any of the other ancillary issues.
Not started for those, but they've become a part of it. What did you expect from a movement primarily confined to the republican party?

diverse movement
It's demographically homogeneous.

MenInTights

not a plastic bag
A lot of the supporters may be genuine, but as of now they're running in republican primaries on republican party lines.

You are correct, and I've acknowledged this in the past. However, anti gay marriage positions can be found throughout the movement. For instance, take this questionnaire that was reposted here.

I think a lot of the people at those rallies would disagree.

But they're not a party. Despite a 13% were democrats and 8% were liberal, that's minuscule. There is no liberal tea "party" voice. They're exclusively running conservative candidates in republican primaries.
What you say has more to do with the Democrat party being far to the left. Of course the TeaParty is not going to endorse a pol that voted for the Stimulus or ObamaCare. That leaves almost nobody in the Democrat party.
However, Walt Minnick (D-Id) is one of a handful of dems that voted against the stimulus and he received the endorsement of the national TeaParty.
Walt Minnick Tea Party Endorsement: Minnick Campaign Accepts

Gavik

Registered Member
What you say has more to do with the Democrat party being far to the left. Of course the TeaParty is not going to endorse a pol that voted for the Stimulus or ObamaCare. That leaves almost nobody in the Democrat party.
However, Walt Minnick (D-Id) is one of a handful of dems that voted against the stimulus and he received the endorsement of the national TeaParty.
Walt Minnick Tea Party Endorsement: Minnick Campaign Accepts
So the solution is to make a hard right? The democrats aren't the party of the far left, just reaganomics lite. Working within the confines of either identical party won't change anything, it just fuels the American political paradigm of the past 200 years.

MenInTights

not a plastic bag
So the solution is to make a hard right? The democrats aren't the party of the far left, just reaganomics lite. Working within the confines of either identical party won't change anything, it just fuels the American political paradigm of the past 200 years.
I know the TeaParty well. The TeaParty is the device that really let the steam blow off the hard right, as you say. If this doesn't work and the TeaParty gets co-opted as Trent Lott wants there will be civil unrest. Its got to work.

SmilinSilhouette

Registered Member
So the solution is to make a hard right? The democrats aren't the party of the far left,
The current administration is farther left than any in recent memory, including that of the Carter admin. The only way to get back on the path after a big left turn is to turn right. Three more left turns won't do it in this case!

just reaganomics lite.
:lol: Either A. You have no idea what "reaganomics" was all about. B. You are mocking "reaganomics" C. You are making a joke.

Working within the confines of either identical party won't change anything, it just fuels the American political paradigm of the past 200 years.
I'm sure many share your view. Many us don't. We desire to reinvigorate and reinforce the "representative" part of representative republic.

Gavik

Registered Member
I know the TeaParty well. The TeaParty is the device that really let the steam blow off the hard right, as you say.
Exactly, just blowing off steam. People will feel that they've made a difference while not making significant change. To them, teaparty candidates in office is a victory. Actual legislative change won't happen.

If this doesn't work and the TeaParty gets co-opted as Trent Lott wants there will be civil unrest. Its got to work.
Oh please, save it. If this was the kind of thing that starts civil wars in America there would be no America.

The current administration is farther left than any in recent memory, including that of the Carter admin.
Obama's in the far left for being exactly like Bush?

The only way to get back on the path after a big left turn is to turn right. Three more left turns won't do it in this case!
But you're not making a right turn, you're building a teleport to an equally far away right.

I'm sure many share your view. Many us don't. We desire to reinvigorate and reinforce the "representative" part of representative republic.
But the very nature of a 2 party system is unrepresentative. Parties cannot win or stay in power by representing their supporters.

SmilinSilhouette

Registered Member
Not started for those, but they've become a part of it. What did you expect from a movement primarily confined to the republican party?
I don't feel that they have become part of it. Just because some, or even a majority, feel the same way about some ancillary issues does not make those other issues a part of it. It the is the unifying opposition to federal overreaching, overspending, unconstitutional actions advocated and/or taken by the current liberal/democrat controlled congress and executive branches of federal government.

It's demographically homogeneous.
According to whom? Those that oppose the tea party? Those that try to misrepresent and demonize it? Those that try to redefine it by using less important issues in an effort to fractionalize and divide it?

Gavik

Registered Member
I don't feel that they have become part of it. Just because some, or even a majority, feel the same way about some ancillary issues does not make those other issues a part of it. It the is the unifying opposition to federal overreaching, overspending, unconstitutional actions advocated and/or taken by the current liberal/democrat controlled congress and executive branches of federal government.
They're the ones bringing it up.

According to whom? Those that oppose the tea party? Those that try to misrepresent and demonize it? Those that try to redefine it by using less important issues in an effort to fractionalize and divide it?
According to the make up of self proclaimed members. Why so defensive?