• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Tasmanian devils may go extinct

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
They are saying that the Tasmanian devil may go extinct like the Tasmanian Tiger did. I would really hate to see another species disappear. They claim studies have shown they have poor genetic variability, like the Tiger and they are inflicted with a contagious cancer they said only evolved recently. (I wonder if its transmissible to humans} I hope they can do something to save these animals.

Isolation Doomed the Tasmanian Tiger

Nevyrmoore

AKA Ass-Bandit
I'm going to be a right cunt here and say "let them die out".

For some strange reason, we as a species have this weird fetish with trying to save endangered species. It may be due to guilt or because we think we can, but let's be honest here; a species dying out is not something unheard of. It has happened before, it WILL happen again, it will ALWAYS keep happening, and we have a hell of a load of balls trying to play God in such a way.

Crouton

Ninja
V.I.P.
I've been following this case for several years. It would really be a shame to see them go since both the Tasmanian Tiger and the Tasmanian Devil are icons of not only Tasmania, but Australia itself.

I don't really agree with Storm on this one. These animals are dying of a type of cancer. It's an illness, just like the many hundreds of illnesses that have plagued humans over the course of our history. If we hadn't spent so much time developing cures, medical treatments, vaccinations etc for all the diseases that could kill us then how many humans would there be left now? Isn't that basically the same thing, "playing God" as you like to call it? If we can do it for ourselves then why not do it for the devils to?

ChaosHerald

Registered Member
I don't think we should let any species die out. We have the power to save them, let's use it! I think every living being has a right to live. And if that cancer is only a recent development, I wonder if it isn't human influence that caused it.

Vidic15

No Custom Title Exists
V.I.P.
We can't save them because they are known for their bad temper. Unreachable therefore makes them uncurable.

Crouton

Ninja
V.I.P.
That's not entirely the case Aleks. I've had some hands on contact with Tasmanian Devils and they are just like any other wild animal. A wild devil will run, feel threatened, attack etc in the wild if it is unsure what a human is and feels threatened.

Devils who are raised in wildlife sanctuaries and zoo's etc are like other animals, they get to know their owners and can be tamed. Not exactly as tamed as a household dog, but about the same amount as any other wild animal.

The name 'devil' gives them a bad wrap, but they weren't originally named due to their behaviour and general attitude, but because of the sound they make. Original settlers to Australia used to hear the sounds of Tasmanian devils fighting over food at night. In the darkness they couldn't see anything, but they could her a horrific and somewhat demonic screaming, which is where they got their name.

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
I'm concerned about the fact this cancer they have is contagious and if it can be passed on to humans. I've never heard of cancer being contagious before.

I do hope they can get enough of the healthy animals together to keep the species going. If they have them in captivity and they get used to human contact they will be much easier to deal with. I've made pets out of wild animals before so I know this can be done. They won't be like your dog but you can touch and handle them.

ChaosHerald

Registered Member
I'm concerned about the fact this cancer they have is contagious and if it can be passed on to humans. I've never heard of cancer being contagious before.
What? How can cancer be contagious? As far as I know, cancer is only contagious in cloning - when the cells are used to make another life form. How could it else be contagious? It's not viral or bacterial... That's strange. But yeah, let's hope they can save the healthy animals at least.

Wade8813

Registered Member
My general stance is that we shouldn't make blanket statements about whether or not to save animals.

Some are more worth saving than others (due to importance to an ecosystem, etc). Some are easier to save than others (contagious cancer sounds like code for "Super impossible to save them". We can't even save ourselves from non-contagious cancer very often, and it's stupidly expensive). Another factor would be whether or not we're at fault in them going extinct. Although to be honest, while I'd feel kinda bad about it, that might not really be a good reason.

Iris

rainbow 11!
I never thought I would ever say this, but I agree with Wade for the most part. The only difference is that I would want to save them if it's our fault. Let's face it, we're kinda assholes when it comes to destroying the homes of animals.

while sad, it doesn't seem like they can be saved.