Talking "Normally" To Your Pets

Mirage

Administrator
Staff member
V.I.P.
I use the word "normally" with the assumption that "basic" would usually consist of "sit", "food", "outside", etc. :lol:

Do you talk to your pets in bigger groups of words than they can probably understand? Things such as "Come over here and get your ball" or whatever.

I do and I usually catch myself and feel dumb about it. I don't think animals have any possible way of understanding words in a list of words aside from picking out the words they understand. For example, in the phrase I mentioned above most dogs would probably just pick up on two or three words max.

Anyway, do you use normal human sentences with your dogs, cats, or whatever pet you may have?

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
I used to do that with my dog. Even though they don't understand what you're saying, I think they still like being talked to.

AnitaKnapp

It's not me, it's you.
V.I.P.
I sure do. I talk to him all the time about whatever. He is a smart dog, he picks up the inflection of my voice and he responds accordingly.
I especially love making everything I say a question, as he will tilt his head to the side when I do that. It's super cute and funny.

Bliss

Sally Twit
I have conversations with my hamster all the time. He can't answer me back and tell me I'm wrong so I always moan to him. All he has to do is sniff my hand or just look at me so that I know he's paying attention.

My sister's dog is very smart. She has learnt different words and she reacts in different ways when you say them.

"Where's your baby?" - she finds the toy and brings it to you
"Where's grandad?" - she knows that my dad is making some food for her so she runs to find him
"Where's the beastie?" - she looks on the floor for insects. It's so cute to watch.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
I sure do. I talk to him all the time about whatever. He is a smart dog, he picks up the inflection of my voice and he responds accordingly.
I especially love making everything I say a question, as he will tilt his head to the side when I do that. It's super cute and funny.
Perfectly said, I do it all the time as well. I think it's normal as well, even though he might not understand. He still knows that your talking to him and it makes him happy. That's what counts in the end.

AnitaKnapp

It's not me, it's you.
V.I.P.
I used to do that with my dog. Even though they don't understand what you're saying, I think they still like being talked to.
Also, I agree with this. My dog loves for me to talk to him, so I'll do it and won't feel a bit weird about it.

Mirage

Administrator
Staff member
V.I.P.
Also, I agree with this. My dog loves for me to talk to him, so I'll do it and won't feel a bit weird about it.
A fun thing to try is to make random sounds or put random words together that make absolutely no sense. Say it in your normal vocal tone that you use to talk to your pet (in my case dog) and they will usually respond in a somewhat normal way. :lol:

If anything it proves that really it's not what you say that they appreciate, just that you say it. Certain key words are different of course. Treat is one that I have to be careful not to say or my dogs will expect to get one.

Sometimes when saying the word "street" they will look at me as if they think they just heard the magic word but are not 100% sure. :lol:

Impact

Registered Member
V.I.P.
Yeah, I talk to my cat in big long sentences, mainly if she does something funny or weird I ask her what she is doing. I know she can't understand me, but meh.