Talking back to your parents

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
When you were younger and your parents were punishing you, did you talk back to them?

I never did, I was always afraid of what my parents would do to me(no they didn't beat me) if I talked back to them. The only time I would do it is in my head :lol:

But during the last few years, I've talked a bit more, I didn't cross any lines, but since I am an adult, I have the "right" to do so a bit more than when I was younger.

How about you guys?

No way. I was a quiet little mouse in my house. Talking back would not have been tolerated.
It's probably why I let my girls get away with it. I took things to the extreme other end from the way my parents raised me.

k3rm0r

Registered Member
I always did as i wanted.. nha..
Well i usualy listened but i got upset and told em to like go to hell and slamed the door to my room etc.. the usual teenager stuff.. It's something everyone did i think?

Blueyes

Registered Member
I did once and got smacked in the face. Never did that again.

I don't talk to my parents now but maybe once a year so there really isn't that much to say.

Nixola

Boom Boom Pow!
No, I never spoke back to my parents! I would be scared that they would shout even more at me!

Now that I'm older though, I say some stuff to back chat them, but I don't go overboard, just back chat without crossing the line and with the stuff I think they will accept.

Smelnick

Creeping On You
V.I.P.
Well, no matter what I said, it was considered talking back. Even if he really was wrong and I was right. Or he was making me do something stupid, and I knew a smarter better way of doing it. I was very voicetrous and talked 'back' all the time. I never saw anything wrong with it, and always voiced my opinion. It got me a lot of beatings, but there was no way I was gonna give in without being heard.

EllyDicious

made of AMBIGUITY
V.I.P.
i've always had this bad behavior of talking back to my parents.
i couldn't shut up and couldn't stand the fact of them having the last word. i always wanted to have the last word as i wanted to feel like i was ruling the conversation lol.

bad child.

No way, never. Only in my mind, and probably readable from my expression, but I would/will never dare speak back to my mum. Everyone in my family knows how she overreacts and forgets things, so if I was being shouted at, at least my dad and brother secretly know I'm probably in the right :lol: Talking back only makes things worse, I learnt this from a young age by observing my mouthy brother.

Mirage

Administrator
Staff member
V.I.P.
I would try this from time to time but I found out quickly that it caused more problems for me. Suddenly being grounded for a week turned into two weeks, etc. :lol:

I think that's a good thing though. If your kids talk back to you you have to show them that they aren't going to get anywhere with that. You have to be willing to put your foot down and teach them to accept your rules.

Bliss

Sally Twit
I always spoke back to my dad but never my mum because she wasn't as tolerant and I was scared of her when she got angry. I regret arguing with my dad so much when I was younger and I've apologised for it many times. I was really moody, snappy and I spoke back a lot. I adore my dad though so when I see him now I'll hug him randomly from time to time and he thinks I'm crazy. I just feel bad.