Taking the internetz srsly

Wade8813

Registered Member
I've heard variants on this used a lot - "it's the internet, is it worth getting upset about? No, of course not." Sometimes it's even used in a slightly derogatory way itself, kind of a "you're so childish to get so worked up over something someone posted online."

I understand the sentiment behind it, but it doesn't really make sense to me. Here on GF, I've seen people develop friendships, and even discuss plans to travel across the country just to meet each other. Why does it make sense to invest money and time in something over the internet, yet not make sense to get upset when someone viciously attacks you personally?

The fact is, if it makes sense to develop friendships and spend lots of time and hundreds of dollars over the internet, it makes just as much sense to get upset when someone attacks you. I'm not saying it's a good thing to get upset, but it's completely reasonable to me.

Thoughts?

Tucker

Lion Rampant
I agree, Wade. Saying "It's just the Internet" to justify irrational and juvenile behavior in the case of a forum such as this (where respect is clearly the order of the day) always made about as much sense to me as "It's only the telephone" when a heavy breather calls. Rudeness does have an impact, and anyone who claims otherwise is either underinformed or a socially oblivious and maladjusted outcast with a mad ass flair for self-deception.

I can say that, see, because look where we are. The whole Internet is one big 4chan.

Bliss

Sally Twit
If you spend enough time on the Internet, say at a forum such as GF then you're bound to make friends and grow close to them. You're within your right to get wound up about something if you dedicate a lot of time to the forum or whatever in question.

Mirage

Administrator
Staff member
V.I.P.
The key is to have a thick skin and know that your identity doesn't lie in what others think of you. That and to realize that the people who throw the most punches online are probably the least secure in real life. People who probably could use a positive comment to lighten their mood. After all, it's hard to hold a grudge against somebody who is being nice to you.

People who aren't secure with themselves are usually the ones who feel the need to belittle others in all aspects of life, not just the internet.

The internet is different though. You can pretend to be cooler than you really are. For example, behind every internet cheap shot could very well be one of these:

That being said though, in all seriousness. Bullies are usually that way because they either feel left out or unwanted. Ignoring the insults and treating them with respect and even being nice to them will go a long way.

They also won't know what to do about it.

Last edited:

icegoat63

Son of Liberty
V.I.P.
The only time I ever really take the internet seriously is with people I thought I knew. Ya know. The kind that you spend months even years talking to... then they get some wild hair up their ass to be dumbasses. Its pretty pathetic really. but whatever.

As far as other poeple, heh they can just go fly a Kite.

Wade8813

Registered Member
The key is to have a thick skin and know that your identity doesn't lie in what others think of you. That and to realize that the people who throw the most punches online are probably the least secure in real life. People who probably could use a positive comment to lighten their mood. After all, it's hard to hold a grudge against somebody who is being nice to you.

People who aren't secure with themselves are usually the ones who feel the need to belittle others in all aspects of life, not just the internet.

The internet is different though. You can pretend to be cooler than you really are. For example, behind every internet cheap shot could very well be one of these:

That being said though, in all seriousness. Bullies are usually that way because they either feel left out or unwanted. Ignoring the insults and treating them with respect and even being nice to them will go a long way.

They also won't know what to do about it.
That's true - and almost all of it applies just as much IRL as online. The thing is, the comments about taking things on the internet seriously imply that somehow there should be this huge difference to you.

The only time I ever really take the internet seriously is with people I thought I knew. Ya know. The kind that you spend months even years talking to... then they get some wild hair up their ass to be dumbasses. Its pretty pathetic really. but whatever.

As far as other poeple, heh they can just go fly a Kite.
Is it the same for you IRL? That you mostly only care about the reactions of people you thought you knew?

Also, we need a kite flying emoticon... :nod:

Cait

Oh, poppycock.
Here's my take on it:
To me it's simple. It takes time to build up a friendship which is why it should be taken seriously. Time invested by both parties show they care. It takes two seconds to think of up a clever (and sometimes just plain stupid) insult on someone. They showed no real effort other than typing on a keyboard and pressing enter while friendships take effort to be developed causing them to be able to be taken seriously.

Wade8813

Registered Member
Here's my take on it:
To me it's simple. It takes time to build up a friendship which is why it should be taken seriously. Time invested by both parties show they care. It takes two seconds to think of up a clever (and sometimes just plain stupid) insult on someone. They showed no real effort other than typing on a keyboard and pressing enter while friendships take effort to be developed causing them to be able to be taken seriously.
That's true. But again, it's just as true in real life. It takes time to build real friendships, and almost anyone can be mean and insulting.

icegoat63

Son of Liberty
V.I.P.
Is it the same for you IRL? That you mostly only care about the reactions of people you thought you knew?
Actually I dont think so?!? I say that kinda puzzled because you'd think so right? hell even I thought so at first. But then I got to thinking, no I dont really. The people I know IRL have the chance for me to actually size them up. See what they are worth ya know. So when I meet someone who has a way with words, but has an obvious douche-nozzle tenancy in real life... its easier to stick that on the back of my mind so that I expect it in the long run. Cant do that so much with the internet.

And I think that leads to another funny one. I dont trust people on the internet. But when I do lay a little faith into someone and they do that. Its not necessarily them that I'm frustrated in... it'd be me for giving them that leap of faith even though the intertubz have proved time and time again that it is not our friend :hah:

and agreed, a fly a kite smiley haha