Taking Oil Fish

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by EllyDicious, May 12, 2009.

1. EllyDicious

EllyDicious made of AMBIGUITY V.I.P. Lifetime

i'm taking fish oil with omega 3 and omega 6.
    i've heard i should not take it during the day when i go out because it's bad for my skin. since fish oil is rich of vitamin D and sun rays are rich as well, it may cause cancer on the skin.

do you know anything about this?

2. Jeanie

Jeanie still nobody's bitch V.I.P. Lifetime

That doesn't sound right to me.

Your body synthesizes vitamin D from UV sunlight. It shouldn't have anything to do with vitamin D that's ingested.

In fact, vitamin D is now being thought to help prevent many cancers, as it boosts the functioning of the body's immune cells.

Keep taking the fish oil and just wear sunscreen during the high-UV-index parts of the day and you should be fine.

one thing to keep in mind about taking Omega-3 fatty acids is that they have anti-inflammatory properties, and you don't want too much anti-inflammatory activity because inflammation is one of your body's defenses against infection. I recently had a sore in my mouth that wouldn't heal until I figured out that the Evening Primrose Oil I had been taking because it's an anti-inflammatory was preventing it from healing. Two days after I stopped taking it, the sore went away.

3. EllyDicious

oh ok. that's great.
    what about taking the fish oil.
    i take it once a day, with meal. i've heard i should take 3 pills a day but i think it's too much.

am i wrong?

4. Jeanie

I guess it depends on why you're taking it and what the dose is.

I believe - and I could be wrong, you might want to check with your doctor - the optimal dosage is 9g of Omega-6 and 3g of Omega-3, but I can check later for you (when i get home and can consult my Nurtrition text book)

5. Merc

Merc Certified Shitlord V.I.P. Lifetime

I take a fish oil supplement and the bottle recommends one gel three times a day after each meal with a full glass of water. So I'd guess the three times daily thing is not a bad thing.

6. EllyDicious

i take this one:
    [​IMG]

you say one gel 3 times a day seems like you're gonna take the same gel divided in 3 pieces lol.
    you mean 3 gels a day , right?

7. Merc

Merc Certified Shitlord V.I.P. Lifetime

. . . yeah, that's what it means. It's kind of hard to cut a gel into three equal pieces.

:lol:

One gel, three times a day (after each meal, assuming you eat three).

8. EllyDicious

how am i gonna cut the gel in 3 pieces?:hammer:
    does it leak? i guess no, that's why is a gel.... right?

plus, here it says "it's recommended to take a 45 minutes walk to let the body absorb the fish oil". [i usually take it either in the morning or after lunch]
    if i take the last piece of fish oil at night, i guess i should go out again and walk... lol

9. icegoat63

icegoat63 Son of Liberty V.I.P. Lifetime

interesting.. I wasnt aware of that.

I've thought about venturing into the Fish Oil habit but just havent brought myself to do it. From the sounds of it there arent to to many reasons to avoid it. But I dunno, just dont quite understand the concept of ingesting oil....from a fish :eyebrow:

I couldnt imagine OD'ing on Vitamin D would be to bad. I recall ingesting gargantuine amounts of Vitamin C when I was a teenager right before a Hockey game..... did it for the energy :hah: I'd take about 3-4 800mg Vit. C supplements and it'd amp me up like Crazy. A couple people told me I should back off, but after doing it for a few years it never left any damage that Im aware of. Hell on top of that, those were some of my healthiest years so far :hah:

10. Jeanie

Vitamin D is fat-soluble so it is possible to have too much of it. Off the top of my head I don't know what the effects of vitamin D toxicity are, but it is possible. Same with A & K. They are all stored in the liver

Vitamin C is water soluble so it is not stored in the body. That being the case, you can't really OD on it and you should ingest it several times a day.