Taking a homeless at your home

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by EllyDicious, Feb 11, 2010.

1. EllyDicious

EllyDicious made of AMBIGUITY V.I.P. Lifetime

I recall back in 1999 the natives of Kosovo that were evicted from their country by Serbians and every native at that time came to Albania to look for shelter.

I can tell, every Albanian family had a Kosovo family at home though they didn't know each other personally.
    But me and my family didn't have any because at that time we used to live in a tiny apartment plus, the idea of taking strangers at home was a bit scary.
    Though we speak the same language and have [almost] the same culture, we had no courage to do that.

anyway, would you be able to do such? to take a stranger at home [who supposedly is looking for shelter]?

2. AngelsPeak

AngelsPeak Wanna play?

This may sound callous, but my answer is no. I'm pretty selfish with my space, and generally am not a people person.
    Sharing my place with a complete stranger, regardless of their circumstances would be very difficult and not something I'd care to do.

3. Millz

Millz LGB Staff Member V.I.P.

A guy I know picked up a homeless couple fed them and then allowed them to spend the night at his apartment.

When he woke up the next day they were gone and his wallet was stolen, among other things.

So no, I wouldnt.

4. Rebeccaaa

Rebeccaaa yellow 4!

It depends on my living situation. If I was alone, then no, I'd be too scared about living with a complete stranger. If I was with my family then I probably wouldn't have a problem with us taking someone in, if it was for reasons pertaining to those you described. Certainly not just any homeless dude off the street though.

5. EllyDicious

EllyDicious made of AMBIGUITY V.I.P. Lifetime

oh. no wonder why his wallet was gone. i mean ... who in the world is able to leave his apartment alone with strangers in it?????
    oh my God ..

6. AngelsPeak

AngelsPeak Wanna play?

He said they went to bed, not left the person alone in the apartment.

7. Millz

Millz LGB Staff Member V.I.P.

Well, he slept in his room and they slept on the couch. So he was still in the apartment when they robbed him. In fact, his wallet was in his room so they made it a point to sneak in there while he was sleeping.

These were two random people from off the street. I've given money to homeless before but I'd never in a million years do what he did.

I look at your example pertaining to people being evicted then that's a little different but not much. Its not that I'm a bad person but I just can't trust them.

8. ysabel

ysabel /ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5

I'd say no but I'll happily help them get in touch with authorities or groups that can help them. It's funny though coz I'm with couchsurfing and one of the main activities we have is welcoming other tourists into our home. They're basically strangers who share the same passion (and also references, so maybe it makes me feel a bit safer to host them).

9. Smelnick

Smelnick Creeping On You V.I.P.

If I owned my own place, I'd do it. I know it can be kinda risky, but I would just set up some accomadations in my garage or something. It's warm, I'd provide a meal, and they'd have a decent place to sleep for awhile. Naturally I'd put some rules on. For one, keep it on the down low so I don't have every bum coming to my house, and second, if he wants to stay there, he's gotta work on finding a job. I'd help him. I've always been of the mentality, that anyone who tries can find some form of employment. But yah, it'd be risky I know.