Take the league by surprise?

Discussion in 'Baseball' started by Babe_Ruth, Feb 16, 2009.

1. Babe_Ruth

Babe_Ruth Sultan of Swat Staff Member V.I.P.

Alright, during the last season the Tampa Bay Devil Rays were the huge surprise of the season. There's no one out there that expected them to make the playoffs or win the American League East division. Now I was wondering if you guys believe there's another that is going to do the same this year?

2. SuiGeneris

SuiGeneris blue 3

everyone's going to laugh, but I think the royals have the potential to do it this year. They had some great pick ups.

3. Babe_Ruth

Babe_Ruth Sultan of Swat Staff Member V.I.P.

They've made some great pick ups, but I dont see them taking the league by surprise. They'll probably be a better team than last year. Alex Gordon should have a great year, and the addition of Coco Crisp should help. But I dont see them winning more than 80 games this season.

4. Unstoppable

Unstoppable Registered Member

idk about KC, i mean i think Gordon and Crisp will have exceptional years, the pieces are in place but im just not sure if this is the year, we'll see tho

I have 3 teams that i believe will be significantly better this, they may not be playoff teams due to the stacked divisions they belong to, but they will be leaps better

1. Baltimore Orioles- they've been down for so long and they have that young catcher named Matt Wieters who is going to be this years Geovany Soto, they added Rich Hill and Felix Pie, plus i belive Ryan Freel will be a wild card who could be a solid guy off the bench, he's also one of the better fielding outfielders, they're not going to do any damage in the loaded AL East or even be in the running for the title, but they are going to improve significantly from last years record

2. Washington Nationals- "The Land of Misfit Players" they may be a ragtag bunch but its a bunch of guys with potential, Guzman, Willingham, Milledge, Dukes, Cabrera, Olsen to name a few, all of these guys have shown flashes of decency and if they can click together i think they'll have a memorable season for once

3. Arizona Diamondbacks- yes they were an 82 win team last year but they will be even better this year, im thinking a win total in the low to mid 90's and a division title is in their future this year

5. Millz

Millz LGB Staff Member V.I.P.

Who else did the Royals pick up besides the overrated Kyle Farnsworth, Coco Crisp and Mike Jacobs?

6. metsforever7515

metsforever7515 Registered Member

I don't see them taking the league by surprise this year, or even next. But I do see them getting consistantly better over the years, and maybe even turning into a power over time. But as for 2009, I don't see them doing very well.

7. Unstoppable

Unstoppable Registered Member

theres no doubt that the royals will get progressively better, u can only stay down so long in this league due to the high draft picks u receive, thats all the Tampa did, its not like they just magically got better like many people sold it as, they were building for last season for years, take a look at all the number one draft picks they've had the past few years, that roster is made up almost entirely of high draft picks, the Royals have a few solid pieces right now and they will continue to build on that if they continue to suck, its almost better to be entirely at the bottom with no chance at a title then to be in the middle with no chance at a title because u get better draft choices at the bottom, a team thats been a cellar dwellar has hope to become a better team through the draft and i believe thats what will eventually happen with Kansas City, they're starting to pick up a little, add that to the development of their draft picks and they will eventually build a solid team, its just a matter of when it all happens