• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Take a lunch break, ten minute breaks?

MiketheGrinder

Registered Member
We're currently debating this issue at work. I'm a salaried employee as are most others here. In theory we're allotted an hour for lunch and two ten minute breaks, but actually taking any of it is highly discouraged. Restroom breaks are fine, but that's as far as it goes. I'm personally okay with skipping lunch because taking a break means there'll be more work to get done later in the day when my mind is sluggish. Might as well work straight through in my opinion.

I don't think most employees are given a lunch break anymore. Does your employer give you a lunch break? Is it paid or unpaid? Are you expected to eat at your desk? How long do you get for lunch?

Impaired

Registered Member
It is ridiculous to not get lunch. I get an hour for lunch. Mostly, I use half of that and am back at work - sometimes I eat at my desk, sometimes not. I am on the road often at lunch.

i don't have set breaks, but if I need to go walk it off for ten minutes, I go walk it off. Or sit in the sun.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
I agree with @Impaired – not getting a lunch is ridiculous. I have an hour lunch as well, and I always take it (go to the gym, and then eat quickly when I’m back at my desk). I also can take a 15-minute break, but it’s really rare that I take them.

MiketheGrinder

Registered Member
Are you still getting paid while you're on that lunch break? I know people who get breaks too, but it's all unpaid. So if they want a 40 hour week salary, they have to come in earlier or stay later to make up the time.

Impaired

Registered Member
As a salaried fellow, I get paid for lunch. I also get no overtime. The balance is towards the company. I work 60 hour weeks for my 40 hour check. On the plus side, when I ask for a comp day, I usually get them without question.

MiketheGrinder

Registered Member
As a salaried fellow, I get paid for lunch. I also get no overtime. The balance is towards the company. I work 60 hour weeks for my 40 hour check. On the plus side, when I ask for a comp day, I usually get them without question.
Ah, that's more what I figured Your basically like us, except I'd personally rather work it all at once rather than taking an hour off. You're just taking the hour off but tacking it back on at another point.

In our office we could take an hour for lunch but the higher ups will subtly let it be known that it's a problem. It's all passive-aggressive like phoning you non-stop during the lunch period.

The most employee friendly place I ever worked was Captain D's as a kid. We got 30 minute paid lunches when we worked so many hours (can't remember total now) and free employee meals. I'm sure it's changed now.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
I don't get paid for my hour lunch. I work from 8:00-16:30 Monday to Friday, and I work 37.5 hours a week.

I don't do much overtime, but when I do, I get paid for it.

Impaired

Registered Member
Ah, that's more what I figured Your basically like us, except I'd personally rather work it all at once rather than taking an hour off. You're just taking the hour off but tacking it back on at another point.

In our office we could take an hour for lunch but the higher ups will subtly let it be known that it's a problem. It's all passive-aggressive like phoning you non-stop during the lunch period.

The most employee friendly place I ever worked was Captain D's as a kid. We got 30 minute paid lunches when we worked so many hours (can't remember total now) and free employee meals. I'm sure it's changed now.
That would drive me crazy. There are days when I don't get lunch - I'm often recovering somebody's server and you can't just walk away. However, nobody ever says a word if I take an hour or hour and a half. It doesn't make me work longer that day - normally I am 8-5 with a paid lunch hour.

The problem is things break at night and on weekends. Also, lots of people want all their upgrades and new installs done after hours.

Sophia

Registered Member
Being a media coordinator, I could generally take my lunch whenever it was convenient. I always came in 30 minutes early and stayed late most every day. Like impaired, if I needed a couple hours off here and there, no questions were asked and I was not charged. It really was a win/win situation for me.