• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Take A Damn Joke - Why Are People Offended by Everything?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SuiGeneris

blue 3
dias2525 said:
I don't take anything you say offensive merc. You know how to make an OPINION without attacking someone. I respect you. I think people get a little touchy on some subjects that concern them. And yes if one is laughing their mind is expericing an emotin that can't be happening at the same time they are stressed. so one can't truthfullly laugh and be mad. It's science.

Actually first off; its not science it would be pyschology. Two completely different fields of study. Sorry. Thats off topic anyways so shouldn't matter.

Second off; its my opinion that people take offense to stuff in order (only in some cases) to gain attention. I mean honestly if I say certain things; they arn't offensive, but to gain the upper hand (or to say...get mad at Piccolo) they'll take it as offensive, and make a huge deal about it.

People can't take a joke, because society is so damn seriouse. Our basis of life is revolved around, getting a job, getting money, becoming successful. Now you'll get some romantics who say otherwise, but as far as real life is concerned, thats all our childhood points us towards. After all, whats school for?

Edit: Well if its not psychology; sorry. Thats what we studied while we studying psychology at my school. Our school is pretty ignorant.

A

Anonym0uz Bitch

That really would not be Psychology either, you can still laugh and be angry at the same time, I have no idea what kind of warped science dias is talking about, but it sure as hell isnt in the field I am studying.

merob

Boom!
Sui Generis said:
dias2525 said:
I don't take anything you say offensive merc. You know how to make an OPINION without attacking someone. I respect you. I think people get a little touchy on some subjects that concern them. And yes if one is laughing their mind is expericing an emotin that can't be happening at the same time they are stressed. so one can't truthfullly laugh and be mad. It's science.

Actually first off; its not science it would be pyschology. Two completely different fields of study. Sorry. Thats off topic anyways so shouldn't matter.

color]

I'm not sure, but doesn't the word ending 'ology' - the study of, make it a science?
It's hard to laugh and be pissed off, but I know a few people that tend to laugh when they're really stressed. I dont know if it's forced or what, so i cant say your wrong, dais, but it is doubtful.

A

Anonym0uz Bitch

Psychology is a science, but what dias said falls under no category in science.

D

dias2525

I don't know I read it in a magaizine that the mind can't produce the "untamed" laugh and feel stress at the same time.

Hinata

La Coquette
The Mercenary said:
If it's one thing that bothers me the most out of almost everything in this world, it's how easily people get pissed off. Everyday, some shmuck with a two digit IQ has to get all bent out of shape because of something he/she heard on the radio, saw on TV, or read in a magazine (and now, played in a video game). I hate it, why the hell is everyone so damn edgy about everything?

Obviously, the best example is the whole Mohammed(sp?) cartoon deal. Think about this . . . people are going crazy and killing (or being killed) . . . over a comic. I'll give that a minute to sink in. Just envelope yourself in that thought . . .

A DAMNED PICTURE is responsible for death? Can someone explain this to me?

It's unfortunate that so many people are so serious and so depressed over everything that anytime a racial, ethnic, or political jab is tossed around, somebody has to die. Have we really degraded ourselves enough that we rename food items in protest of political issues? Do yourself a favor and try to analyze your day. See if there's anything that really gets you going, something that rattles your cage, boilers your water, chills your bones. Why does it? And why are you reacting the way in which you are?

I guess my point of this thread is to open up a discussion of why people are so shallow these days. Between the FCC, parenting groups, and bored politicians, we have had nothing but a continuous flow of hate for just about everything. Why is it so? Is there any way to aid in the recovery of this epidemic? Theories? Rants? Ridiculous news stories? Let's hear it!
------------------------------------------
"I believe you can joke about anything, it all depends on how you construct the joke, the exaggeration," - George Carlin
To go with you we live in a society that tries to censor everything because the 'right' but small group of people hold the right political power to make others pay attention. I wish I could have seen Janet's boobie.. dang it I missed seeing another woman half exposed. But to put all joking aside they want something done and feel the government should agree. Personally I say if they don't want to see it or if they don't want their kids to see it then they don't need to watch it or have it on their televisions.

I think what more so trips me out is the leaps and bounds these people are going to try to censor America. Especially with paid radio and Tv Now that is where they begin to get out of hand. If I am a paying consumer you have not right to censor what I listen to or watch, but still someone has to make problems...

The cartoon situation though was taken that way because some one out of their 'society' is critizing an entity that they are very connected with. In the same token if someone inside their religious sect was to critize it they may find it funny...

Not sure what I mean. Its just like a black person calling another black person a 'Nigga' and then when a white or hispanic or asian uses the word its negative. Personally whoever says it is negative and I even apologize using the word but I made a point and got you all to be like mmm hmm she's right in that sense.

So I understand their anger but the way they handled it was wrong in the same sense. If you can't take a joke don't deal it out. If you can make fun of your society and morals.. I should be able to do the same thing too.. and vice versa but we as people wont see that. So things will continue as they have been

A

Anonym0uz Bitch

dias2525 said:
I don't know I read it in a magaizine that the mind can't produce the "untamed" laugh and feel stress at the same time.
Do not believe everything you read in books, let alone magazines.

D

dias2525

OK. It said it had something to do with fluids or something That the mind produced that stress from the same way it produced laughter. I guess it could be wrong, but hey it is more for the topic. Let's get back to our topic. People need to stop being so worried about what a cartoon is saying or acting out. We still have a freedom of speech even if it's against the country that gives it.

S

SF3P0X1

The Mercenary said:
If it's one thing that bothers me the most out of almost everything in this world, it's how easily people get pissed off. Everyday, some schmuck with a two digit IQ has to get all bent out of shape because of something he/she heard on the radio, saw on TV, or read in a magazine (and now, played in a video game). I hate it, why the hell is everyone so damn edgy about everything?

A DAMNED PICTURE is responsible for death? Can someone explain this to me?

It's unfortunate that so many people are so serious and so depressed over everything that anytime a racial, ethnic, or political jab is tossed around, somebody has to die. Have we really degraded ourselves enough that we rename food items in protest of political issues? Do yourself a favor and try to analyze your day. See if there's anything that really gets you going, something that rattles your cage, boilers your water, chills your bones. Why does it? And why are you reacting the way in which you are?

I guess my point of this thread is to open up a discussion of why people are so shallow these days. Between the FCC, parenting groups, and bored politicians, we have had nothing but a continuous flow of hate for just about everything. Why is it so? Is there any way to aid in the recovery of this epidemic? Theories? Rants? Ridiculous news stories? Let's hear it!
Alright, so I summed the quote a little. Oh well.

First off, I'll just say I'll do my best not to make this a rant.

Anyway, take all these things you've mentioned, and let them mull a little bit. Next, add some of the stuff you've overlooked. I see a lot of people keep forgetting some of the Christian sides to some things too. Take, for instance, J.K. Rowling and her series about a young wizard. Good vs Evil, right? Wrong! The book was banned in Christian libraries, banned for being about magic. They overlooked the fact that it was fiction, that it was made for kids to enjoy, and above all, they ignored the fact that it emphasized that killing and torture is wrong. Banned for being about Magic.

O.O But then, look at the news media. Look at some of the stories and videos they show. People plummeting out of a building because a large plane hit it. God Bless America, killing is wrong, so let's go kill for revenge. I'd like to know where these people's agendas are. I see many Christians today promote Pokemon. Now call me stupid, but aren't a Pokemon's "powers" like magic? Isn't the whole point of the Pokemon franchise to "battle and beat the other person"? I would sigh here.

I'm a Christian, so don't get me wrong, I'm not ragging on another religion to bring them down. So let's get off that subject.

I believe America is desensitizing their youth. Sometimes I like to compare our community of Americans to other communities around the world. For instance, look at Japan. From what I've heard, they have a relatively low drinking age, barely any limit to what can be said and shown on television, especially in their children's shows, and a drunkard could walk down the street and urinate in public on a street corner and no one would care.

Compared to us, let's see:
- Number 1) Drinking age 21, meaning by the time anyone reaches the age, either they've already drunk illegally, or do not have the maturity to consider starting out slow. Higher age to start or be allowed to drink = less tolerance and a higher risk of developing a dependence on it.
- Number 2a) We scan everything we show on the television. Yes, even the stuff shown on the news. We show the most violent subjects in the news to show how violent the other side is. We show us firing in retaliation. You don't see the videos of Marines firing on the Iraqis, and then watch their dying bodies twitch on the ground as the group of Marines laugh uncontrollably. You don't see the infrared videos of Iraqi messengers on foot being gunned down by Air Force helicopter pilots. You see videos of pilots firing missiles, but you never see the targets, and the targets you do see are rarely explained.
- Number 2b) Now, when it comes to kid's shows, even the cartoons are changed. If you remember back when Toonami and Adult Swim first came out, they showed Japanese shows in their entirety. I remember the first showing of Outlaw Star. When they showed a rerun of it, the people running the show had cut nearly 10 minutes of great footage from the show! All because the FCC deemed it too violent. And yet, look at the News.
Then you should scope out some of the old Dragonball and Dragonball Z episodes. Swearing, indecent exposure, and other things run rampant. You know why these things are shown in Japanese communities? Because Japanese parents take the initiative to teach their children early on the difference between right and wrong, the difference between reality and fantasy, and how to be mature. We teach our kids that babies are brought to us by storks.
- Number 3) Yes, you think it's a joke. But think about some of the laws we have in this country. Yes, some are like jokes, but they were enforced. There's a law here somewhere that you aren't allowed to carry an ice-cream cone in your pocket on Saturday or Sunday. Another law states that no insect can enter Cleveland after 6 PM. What?! Now imagine you see a drunkard walking down the street. He stops at an intersection, unzips and... oh, wait. You can't go that far because he's already been arrested for public intoxication.

You know... maybe I should stop before this becomes a rant. More when I cool off.

P

panik100

Your rant was...well...huge.  I agree with everything you said, especially things that are much more lenient in other parts of the world.

Status
Not open for further replies.