• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Take A Damn Joke - Why Are People Offended by Everything?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Merc

Problematic Shitlord
V.I.P.
If it's one thing that bothers me the most out of almost everything in this world, it's how easily people get pissed off. Everyday, some shmuck with a two digit IQ has to get all bent out of shape because of something he/she heard on the radio, saw on TV, or read in a magazine (and now, played in a video game). I hate it, why the hell is everyone so damn edgy about everything?

Obviously, the best example is the whole Mohammed(sp?) cartoon deal. Think about this . . . people are going crazy and killing (or being killed) . . . over a comic. I'll give that a minute to sink in. Just envelope yourself in that thought . . .

A DAMNED PICTURE is responsible for death? Can someone explain this to me?

It's unfortunate that so many people are so serious and so depressed over everything that anytime a racial, ethnic, or political jab is tossed around, somebody has to die. Have we really degraded ourselves enough that we rename food items in protest of political issues? Do yourself a favor and try to analyze your day. See if there's anything that really gets you going, something that rattles your cage, boilers your water, chills your bones. Why does it? And why are you reacting the way in which you are?

I'm not suggesting a completely passive society, but just a bit of an easing up. I love how people everywhere were up in arms when Janet's boob made the center stage of the super bowl and front page of *insert paper name here*. Is it honestly doing anything? Did your poor child have to witness a boob, something naturally a part of the female body? Oh my stars! Did anyone else think of Lil' Kims slutty attire a little while back?

I guess my point of this thread is to open up a discussion of why people are so shallow these days. Between the FCC, parenting groups, and bored politicians, we have had nothing but a continuous flow of hate for just about everything. Why is it so? Is there any way to aid in the recovery of this epidemic? Theories? Rants? Ridiculous news stories? Let's hear it!
------------------------------------------
"I believe you can joke about anything, it all depends on how you construct the joke, the exaggeration," - George Carlin

S

SOAD2k8

THANK YOU!!! Someone with some sence!

I am with you 100%. This political correctness thing is getting way out of hand. People have riots over a political cartoon?! Give me a break! And as far as the whole "wardrobe malfunction" thing goes, it IS part of the human anatomy, and we've all seen them before. On top of that, it happened at around 10:00 at night, when little kids should be in bed anyway, so what's the big deal? If you don't like something, you have the right as a human being to just ignore it. Remove yourself from the situation, don't go all gung-ho against it.

SuiGeneris

blue 3
As far as the "Muhammad Cartoon" you have to realize it was published in the national newspaper. In other words it reflected the thoughts of the entire nation. Whether thats true or not doesn't matter, because thats what the perception of it is. When you are running a newspaper (especially a national one) you have to keep in mind what others will picture it as.

Thats why there was such an uproar about it, because the way it was percieved.

S

shakujou

On the subject of the Muhammad cartoon. I love the way the Muslims reacted to this, a cartoon stereotyping them as people who blow up other people, they proceed to get mad, and blow up other people. Not helping the common conception too much.

People are offended too much, I'm really wondering how future generations are going to turn out because of it. I keep seeing an age of pussies who complain about everything that even resembles an insult towards them.

A

Anonym0uz Bitch

shakujou said:
On the subject of the Muhammad cartoon. I love the way the Muslims reacted to this, a cartoon stereotyping them as people who blow up other people, they proceed to get mad, and blow up other people. Not helping the common conception too much.

People are offended too much, I'm really wondering how future generations are going to turn out because of it. I keep seeing an age of pussies who complain about everything that even resembles an insult towards them.
Oh my God, I love this person, he is a GENIUS and said EXACTLY what I would have, I agree 100%, with what you have said.

Edit: ^This was a drunken post, lol but I still do agree.

Merc

Problematic Shitlord
V.I.P.
http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2006/03/03/politics/main1364883.shtml
Teacher Probed Over Bush Comments ^ ^

Give me damn break. The guy gets blasted for voicing his opinion on Bush.

See? This is exactly the kind of bullshit I'm talking about. Oh noes!!!1! Unless the guy is unleashing some sort of brain ray on the kids, they should be fine. Leave them the hell alone, they're old enough to interpret what they hear.

S

shakujou

The Mercenary said:
http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2006/03/03/politics/main1364883.shtml
Teacher Probed Over Bush Comments ^ ^

Give me damn break. The guy gets blasted for voicing his opinion on Bush.

See? This is exactly the kind of bullshit I'm talking about. Oh noes!!!1! Unless the guy is unleashing some sort of brain ray on the kids, they should be fine. Leave them the hell alone, they're old enough to interpret what they hear.
From what I've read/heard, the guy was just trying to stimulate debate among the class room. I wonder if he was just having a current event day or something, because starting debates on those kind of topics in a World Geography class is kind of odd.

From what I can tell, a kid was coming home and talking about about the class, whether or not it was in a good or bad sense I don't know, and his dad had him go in one day with a tape recorder. I heard a few of the things the teacher said on TV, and they were pretty interesting. When the teacher was fired, something like 150 students stood outside the school in protest.

They fired him on the grounds that he was providing both sides of the argument.

Sephiroth_Masamune

l 7SIN Sasori l
The teacher went against Bush. Meh.

It just goes back to the teaching of evolution. The nation shall learn we can't be stopped. Freedom of speach my ass.

If you stepped into McKinley High School in Buffalo, NY you would meet alot of teachers that talk crap about Bush all the time. It's great, they let us express our opinions and nothing happens to them. Someone just has problems with freedom of speech. Freaking Southern Way of thinking. -__-;;

Southern Hick - "BUSH IS COOL"...and he proceeds to drink a beer.

D

dias2525

I suppose people today are just scared. The see all these wierd things happening and it worries them of what will become of the morals we once had. I see that freedom of speech is well recieved, just as long as it isn't done it front of someone that might be offended. I say don't force believes on people and they won't get upset.

merob

Boom!
It's evident people naturally enjoy complaining. The super bowl is a prime example. How many people watched the super bowl and saw the breast? The scene was cut so quickly, I can imagine most people didn't realize what they were looking at.
It's Ironic we can sit here and complain about other folks complaining. Were being a little hypocritical ourselves.

Status
Not open for further replies.