T-Mac Has Issues With New Orleans As All-Star Site

Discussion in 'NBA' started by Babe_Ruth, Mar 1, 2007.

1. Babe_Ruth

Babe_Ruth Sultan of Swat Staff Member V.I.P.

Houston Chronicle -
    Reacting to NBA Players Association director Billy Hunter's comments about security for the 2008 All-Star festivities in New Orleans, Rockets guard Tracy McGrady said Tuesday that he is concerned about safety to the point he might consider skipping the event, the Houston Chronicle is reporting.

"If I don't feel I'm going to be safe, if I am on that team, I will look into probably not even going," McGrady said.

Hunter said in a Newsday article Monday that the union might consider suing the NBA if it does not believe New Orleans can safely host the event.

"If the union is not convinced that the city can accommodate the All-Star Game, it's an issue that will be subject to litigation between the union and the league," Hunter said.

Hunter later said he was speaking hypothetically and planned to visit New Orleans to meet with city officials.

"I really didn't hear his comments, but I heard somebody talking about the safety (concerns)," McGrady said. "When they first mentioned to me that the All-Star Game was going to be in New Orleans, that was the first thing I thought about: How much security are they going to have for the players and everybody there?

"I don't think it's the right city to have this type of event right now. I know the city is in need of trying to get back on its feet, but safety comes first. I'm sure they're going to do a lot of research and look into this before they make this decision."

The decision already has been made, however, with the NBA steadfast in its commitment to have New Orleans host the 2008 event.

"We're looking forward to New Orleans playing host to next year's All-Star events and are equally excited about the Hornets' return to the city next season," NBA commissioner David Stern said in a statement. "The reports we have received about other major events and conventions recently held in New Orleans have been very positive, and we fully expect All-Star 2008 to be a great success."

http://www.realgm.com/src_wiretap_a...has_issues_with_new_orleans_as_all_star_site/