Swine Flu

Bjarki

Registered Member
Swine Flu Outbreak Unnerves Mexico City

Officials in Mexico City have shut down schools, museums and other public venues because of a swine flu outbreak that has killed at least 20 people and may be responsible for 40 other deaths.
Many people in the Mexican capital were wearing face masks while in public. Authorities say 1,000 people have become ill.
Tests show that some of the Mexico victims died from the same new strain of virus that sickened eight people in California and Texas. But authorities say the U.S. cases have been mild and that all eight people recovered. They say none of the U.S. patients had any contact with pigs.
The acting director of the U.S. Centers for Disease and Control Prevention, Richard Besser, said Friday that health officials do not know if the outbreak will become a pandemic.
The World Health Organization said it was convening an expert panel to consider raising the pandemic alert level.
Health officials say the unusual strain of flu contains genetic material from pigs, birds and humans. But authorities have not called on Americans to avoid travel to Mexico.
The CDC says swine flu usually occurs in people who have been exposed to pigs, although human-to-human transmission is also possible. Symptoms resemble the regular human seasonal influenza and include fever, lethargy, lack of appetite and coughing. Its Web site says some people with swine flu experience a runny nose, sore throat, nausea, vomiting and diarrhea.
The CDC also says that between December 2005 and February of this year, 12 cases of human swine flu infection were reported.
U.S. officials say the White House is monitoring the situation.
The next big scare or are we all doomed?

:spin:

Last edited:
If the flu strain mutates to infect human to human contact without a pig in sight, then Mexico should consider closing its airports as one infected person can pass the strain to hundreds in the US.

Chaos

Epic Gamer
V.I.P.
Hardly surprising, really. Pigs are one of the closest/similar animals to Humanity. It's why pig hearts have sometimes been used as heart transplants. :dunno:

Bjarki

Registered Member
If the flu strain mutates to infect human to human contact without a pig in sight, then Mexico should consider closing its airports as one infected person can pass the strain to hundreds in the US.
It's a little late for that :shifteyes:

California doctors and other health experts are on the lookout for cases of a new strain of swine flu, a potentially dangerous virus that has reignited fears of a pandemic flu outbreak after killing about 60 people in Mexico and sickening eight people in the United States.

Hospitals and public health departments throughout California, where six of the American cases have been found, were told Friday to increase surveillance of the rare strain of flu that combines genetic material from humans, pigs and birds.
State and federal health officials said there is little cause for alarm in the United States at this point - all of the U.S. cases have been mild, and the flu has been responsive to drugs. Everyone infected so far has fully recovered; one woman was hospitalized, but she had an underlying condition that complicated her case, state public health officials said.
But the cases in Mexico have been startlingly severe, with more than 800 cases of pneumonia in the capital alone that are suspected to be related to the swine flu, according to the World Health Organization.

The connection between the cases in Mexico and the United States is still uncertain, although the Centers for Disease Control on Friday reported that at least seven samples of the virus from Mexico are "very similar" to the strains in the United States. But so far it's not known how many of the people who are sick in Mexico have swine flu or a form of seasonal influenza.
The eight people infected in the United States all live near the border - six are in San Diego and Imperial counties, and two are in San Antonio. Public health experts said it's likely there are more cases in the United States. Doctors don't typically take samples from flu patients for testing, and the recent swine flu cases were only caught because the patients were involved in health programs that were testing new diagnostic procedures.
The symptoms of swine flu are similar to seasonal influenza, including fever, cough, sore throat and in rare cases vomiting and diarrhea. People who believe they have the flu should stay home, health experts said. If they are very sick, they should see a doctor and make sure they report if they've been to Mexico in the past few days or have had contact with anyone from Mexico.

Swine flu kills 60 in Mexico; 6 cases in state

Suspected cases have been found in Queens as well..
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/04/25/nyregion/25sick.html?hp

Though, it's uncertain whether we're talking about the same kind of flu here.. would mean it's spreading really fast if these are cases of swine flu as well.

MenInTights

not a plastic bag
I wonder if its Bio-Terror against the United States. Normally, I would not even consider such things, but:
  1. The outbreak occurred while Obama was in Mexico City
  2. One of the people Obama met with died shortly after meeting him
  3. Its a very odd combination that has flu strands from different parts of the World(avian flu, human flu Type A, human flu Type B, Asian swine flu, and European swine flu.)
  4. It occurred during non-flu season

I don't know, just saying there are some odd cicumstances.

Merc

Certified Shitlord
V.I.P.
SARS, avian flu . .

It's just another proposed "epidemic". I'm not scared until it's causing more damage.

Merc

Certified Shitlord
V.I.P.
Indeed it is. I just hate how we're so apt to call things epidemics so quickly. It shows how skittish we really are.