• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Swim with the feces

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
RIO DE JANEIRO — Brazil’s “Marvelous City” will play host to around 400,000 tourists during the World Cup next month. And there’s one thing visitors may be unable to avoid, be it on their way to the airport or at the beach: human feces.
In Rio, only around 40 percent of sewage is treated, and the rest ends up in the city's rivers, lagoons, beaches, and bay. Plus, between 80 and 100 tons of trash end up in the city's picturesque Guanabara Bay every single day.

Come for the World Cup, swim with the feces (PHOTOS) | GlobalPost
If you decide to travel to Brazil stay out of the water. They have very little in the way of a decent sewage system. Most of it ends up in their rivers and the ocean along with other trash. Anyone swimming in it takes a chance of catching Hepatitis A or a number of other diseases.

Deformed fish and dead sea turtles have been seen which isn't surprising after looking at the pictures of how polluted the water is.

I wish the activists in Brazil good luck in getting something done about this. Their people and environment will be much healthier for it.

Thoughts?

Taliesin

Registered Member
Remind me never to visit Brazil. My God, that's awful.

They probably don't have the required infrastructure that we all take for granted though, so unless that changes then I don't think much can be done about it.

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
I think they could do something about it the government just doesn't want to. Maybe not all at once but they could make a start. Activists are trying to get things changed.

I wouldn't be going to Brazil for the world cup. You could come back sick.

I wonder how much of our food comes from Brazil?

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
I think it was a mistake to award the World Cup to Brazil, as well as the 2016 Olympics, which should have gone to Chicago.

The country is rife with crime and corruption and civil unrest. Apparently their infrastructure is subpar, and they are struggling to get ready for these global events. It sure isn't a tourist friendly place like the US or Europe.

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
I don't know why they have to pick some of the places they do. Brazil look nasty, you know it has to smell with all that raw sewage everywhere and why they had to pick it for the 2016 Olympics is beyond me. There are many countries that would have been much better.

CaptainObvious

Son of Liberty
V.I.P.
This doesn't surprise me at all. Most South American countries are a mess like this, Brazil being a leading example. I agree, it was a mistake to award the World Cup to this country, rife with corruption and greed.