• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Sweet potatoes

wolfheart

Registered Member
Today a mate went to a farmers market and he got some sweet potatoes for himself and for me.
I have never really done anything with these before so I'm looking for some ideas to try out.
Anybody got any thoughts on what I can try.

dDave

V.I.P.
I hate sweet potatoes when they're made regular. The taste is just so nasty I can't help but gag.

My favorite way to make them is to mix them with a mixer and add copious amounts of brown sugar and maple syrup. You then put it in a casserole dish and bake it. When you've got about 5 minutes left you put marshmallows on top and cook them til they're golden. That's the best way to make them.

I also like sweet potato fries.

wolfheart

Registered Member
Well the kids would certainly go for the marshmallows,not sure about the rest though, but will give it a go when I get the rest of the ingredients.
The fries sound interesting though, I take it they are done like normal Fries?.

dDave

V.I.P.
Well the kids would certainly go for the marshmallows,not sure about the rest though, but will give it a go when I get the rest of the ingredients.
The fries sound interesting though, I take it they are done like normal Fries?.
Uh yeah, as far as I know they're made like regular fries. I've only ever ordered them at a restaurant, I don't have the equipment to make fries at home. Also, I know Sonic Drive-In used to have sweet potato tatertots, those were decent, not great. I like the fries a lot more.

The marshmallows are good with sweet potatoes, have some faith. ;)

It looks like that when it's all done.

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
About the only way I like sweet potatoes is put some brown sugar and butter on them then bake them in the oven. About 30 minutes for canned.

Taliesin

Registered Member
I was also going to suggest sweet potato fries.

Cut 'em up into strips or wedges (whichever you prefer), put 'em in a bowl and mix some olive oil with them, then mix in a little salt (sea salt is great) and cajun seasoning (or whatever spices you prefer). You want all the fries to be coated with oil and spices.

Then lay 'em out on a pan covered with a baking sheet. Stick 'em in the oven at 450°F (or 230°C) for about half an hour, turning them halfway through. You want them to be nicely brown before taking them out to cool for 5 minutes or so.

Then scoff 'em right down! :D

wolfheart

Registered Member
Thanks for the ideas guys, I will get around to trying them soon.
Just wondering are they any good for mashing or roasting, just to be a little different from using normal potatoes

Taliesin

Registered Member
They are amazing whether they're mashed or roasted, but that's just me. They really are as versatile as your average, straight-up potato, especially roasted with a nice crispy outer skin! ;)

wolfheart

Registered Member
They are amazing whether they're mashed or roasted, but that's just me. They really are as versatile as your average, straight-up potato, especially roasted with a nice crispy outer skin! ;)
I think this is what I will try first, I do love a good roast potato and so do the kids.
Who knows I may even start using them all the time if goes well.

Taliesin

Registered Member
Let us know how it goes.