Swearing

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Doc, Jul 7, 2008.

1. Doc

Doc Trust me, I'm The Doctor. V.I.P.

How old were you when you realized you could could get away with swearing? Also, what are your thoughts on kids swearing?

To me, they're just words. It should be a respect deal that a kid shouldn't cuss around anyone but their peers. There's almost no way to stop them from swearing when they're with their peers.

I started casually (basically everything but fuck and the lesser-known words) around age 10-11 and I had the full "vocabulary" by the time I was 12.

2. Blueyes

Blueyes Registered Member

You're kidding right? Kids shouldn't say curse words especially in front of their peers. I remember getting my face smacked by my mother for saying a curse word growing up. I think the first time my mother heard those words fully spewing out my mouth was when myself and her went to go pick up my sister who was 17 at the time shacking up at a guys house at 2 AM in the morning when she supposedly was camping with friends. I still hardly ever say any of those words in front of her except by accident.

3. kiwi

kiwi The Original Kiwi

Well, I still don't swear, so I guess never. I will also teach my kids it isn't appropriate and won't allow it in my house and hopefully they won't when they aren't around me.

4. Doc

Doc Trust me, I'm The Doctor. V.I.P.

You misunderstood what I said. Kids are going to cuss and you can't stop it. It's a normal part of life. My point is that when they do it's just respectful not to do it around authority figures and the like.

5. dDave

dDave Guardian of the Light V.I.P.

I never ever swear, it's just a decision that I made. My friends don't swear either so it's easy to continue to not swear. I don't think I'll ever swear, it's just not me, I don't do it.

6. shyguyjster

shyguyjster Registered Member

the way i see it, if a guy is swearing and a mother gets mad at him for swearing around his peers, like her son, then you cant stop the kid from swearing, just encourage them to not swear in bad situations, or just around their peers, it's basically a thing of trust, to trust your kid to use it in the appropriate situation, i mean, it is kinda hard to regulate the things kid's say nowadays, so just encourage good behavior with it.

7. Tainted_Glory

Tainted_Glory Not a Scientologist

I don't cuss a lot or the words would just lose meaning. I use them when I get hurt or I'm mad but that's about it. Kids cussing does not offend me. If they're tryig to offend me, I smack 'em around. 'em being my little brother.

8. Major

Major 4 legs good 2 legs bad V.I.P.

I probably started swearing regularly around my friends when I was in 5th or 6th grade and I'm still going strong. I only swear in front of my family when I'm super pissed, and my mom still gets mad at me for it.

I try to be respectful of other people. If I'm with my friends and there are kids around I won't swear. Some people just don't care at all and swear around kids and I think that's really disrespectful.

9. EXQEX9

EXQEX9 Yep.

I swear regularly at work when I mess stuff up and have been swearing since I was about 13. I agree with steve. "Swear words" are just words used to express frustration, despite what they may mean...that scentence wasn't all that clear. Ok, lets put it this way. When I mess something up at work and say "fuck" im not thinking "sex" im thinking "im very angry at myself for making a stupid mistake". On top of that, my co-workers all understand that I mean the not sex one.

That having been said, and knowing that not all people will understand the meaning behind when I curse, I try to avoid doing it around my bosses and people who could potentially one day be my boss.

10. Boredie

Boredie In need of Entertainment

I don't swear. And I hope the enviroment I live in is a place where my kids won't learn to swear, but if they ever do, like kiwi said I will not allow it under my roof and will hope they learn not to do so themselves.