• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Discuss Swearing

sunrise

aka ginger warlock
V.I.P.
I am not going to lie, I swear when I am frustrated and from time to time swear words filter into my conversation such as: "oh for fuck sake", "have you seen that shit", "that guy lost his shit" and the beloved "the dogs bollocks" which I think is an british thing.

Looking at these phrases on paper they are down right idiotic, someone does not look at shit, no-one in their life time has ever lost their excrement and if they did I am quite sure they would not announce it to the world. The reason I bring this up is that a guy next door to me does not seem capable of completing a sentence without a swear word in it, I often hear him shouting at his dog "what the fuck have you done?! what the fuck is this shit!", now aside from the fact I often think "er dude, it's a dog, it's not about to turn around and give you the answer you want" I have also heard him say "this is the forth time" which he does on a regular basis, by my account he has said it eight times so aside from anything else the fellow does not appear to be able to count.

What I am interested in is multiple things, do you swear and how often? When is it appropriate to swear and when is it not? Do you even consider curse words to be offensive? Does the argument "words are words and don't hurt people" really stand up is it that said by people who are not intelligent enough to form a real sentence and cannot construct what they really want to say?

I remember when I came home one day wearing this on a hoodie my mother was very upset and due to that I did not wear it in her presence because I did not want to offend her, she is my mother and I feel I should respect her:

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
I swear sometimes usually when I'm excited about something. I do it more now than I use to, I guess I'm getting cranky. I really don't like listening to someone that swears in every breath. To me swear words should be reserved for special occasions like when someone or something upsets you or gets you excited.

Words can hurt and cut very deeply and words like that may not be forgotten. Can ruin your relationship with someone.

idisrsly

I'm serious
V.I.P.
I'm not gonna lie, I swear more than I would like to admit. I'm not sure where or when or how I picked up the habit, but I did. I'm better now than I used to be, but when I get mad, frustrated, stressed or upset, I start swearing. And I'm at least one of those emotions every day at work.

That said, I don't swear at people. I couldn't do that. :-/

CaptainObvious

Embrace the Suck
V.I.P.
I rarely swear. I consider it uncouth and just don't do it. Does an occasional expletive come out because I get upset or angry about something? Certainly, but by and large I rarely ever swear.

Millz

Better Call Saul
Staff member
V.I.P.
I'll never forget the time when my Mom found some Slipknot lyrics that my brother had printed out haha. For the life of me I still do not know why he printed those out in the first place but of course the top song was "Surfacing" and if you know Slipknot you know that song is not for the weak at heart.

Do you swear and how often?
I wouldn't say I swear often but I do swear on occasion. I used to be a lot worse while in college but since I moved onto the business world I've changed my ways.

When is it appropriate to swear and when is it not?
I don't think its ever really all that appropriate at the work place. I've had customers swear at me before but I never sweared back at them. I wouldn't do it in front of particular family members as well. I think it just depends on your company. If I don't know the person I'll just refrain.

Do you even consider curse words to be offensive?
Some of them are, sure.

I know they are just words but when you overdo it you just sound dumb IMO. They aren't hurting anything per say but its best to limit it.

Last edited:

Elanor

Registered Member
I do swear a lot. But not every other word like some people do. I don't swear at work, or around people I don't know, as some people don't like it, and out in public I don't. Most of my swearing is at home, in the car, around my friends or in my head. My parents hate it, so I control my mouth around them, but if it is just me and Mum they do fall out my mouth occasionally. I never swear at someone (unless it is myself), I think that is just rude and disrespectful, and I know I wouldn't like it if someone did it to me.

I do use pretty much every word going, except the C-word. That one I really dislike, and never use, and I don't know anyone that does.

Taliesin

Registered Member
I do swear a lot when I'm by myself and I'm upset or angry about something. I even swear casually in conversation with certain friends. I wish I didn't because I feel there are enough descriptive words in the English language that I could use without having to resort to that.

Having said this, I do make an effort not to swear, and am always good at this in polite company. I just have to work on the private swearing now is all. :D

dDave

V.I.P.
I rarely swear. I consider it uncouth and just don't do it. Does an occasional expletive come out because I get upset or angry about something? Certainly, but by and large I rarely ever swear.
This is very much how I am. I think that generally swearing is not ok and I think some people sound ridiculous when every other word out of their mouth is a curse word. Only when I have been really pushed over the edge will I swear and it will always be in frustration (usually while I'm doing something with politics :lol:). I think that swearing from people that rarely swear has a really strong effect and really emphasizes what they're saying.

I don't swear to be offensive or to be funny, I only swear when it's appropriate in furthering a point (that's rare in and of itself).

Zenheizer

needs practice
I swear a ton and think its healthy to get out of your system especially around accepting friends. Not at work that's jus unprofessional gotta keep the cool. But in the private of company? Sure why the fuck not if no one is a baby about it.

Taliesin

Registered Member
I swear a ton and think its healthy to get out of your system especially around accepting friends. Not at work that's jus unprofessional gotta keep the cool. But in the private of company? Sure why the fuck not if no one is a baby about it.
Now see, I must be a bit of a weirdo in this regard because whenever I swear while I'm upset or angry, it never makes me feel better. The more I swear, the more worked up it gets me, and then I just curse and cuss up a storm and feel like a total cowpat.

I wonder why swearing helps some people and not others? That's interesting to me...

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
HalfEatenSurprise General Discussion 11
Danno Bathroom Wall 1
Boredie Politics & Law 16
RATTIE General Discussion 51
BarneyL General Discussion 28