• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Swearing. Not.

Merc

Problematic Shitlord
V.I.P.
jack612,

Why do you think words are so bad? That's all they are, nothing else. Sure cuss words can prevent the increase of the size of ones vocabulary, but why do you really think they're bad?

jack612

Registered Member
Well, I have a reason (nothing to do with vocabulary), but I don't think it's one that I can explain- and even if I could, it wouldn't be the type of answer that you're looking for.

So maybe I can answer your question differently with another question :)

Why is it that if a kid says a "bad word", he's punished or told not to? And don't tell me it's because he still has to learn vocabulary.
So I feel that that shouldn't change just because someone gets older and supposedly more "mature".

Merc

Problematic Shitlord
V.I.P.
He's yelled at because his mother/father/teacher has been conditioned to believe words can be "bad".

Merc

Problematic Shitlord
V.I.P.
Yeah, actually yeah. Words only have the power we give them. These words were given power over time. If I recall correctly, a lot of them are considered "bad" because they're simple words, "sailor" talk.

jack612

Registered Member
Just for the record, I'm adding this on as opposed to just editing the previous post just in case you already read what I just post.

I just realized that "why?" is basically you're question. Because you yourself feel that there is absolutely nothing wrong with it and for some reason they are known to be "bad"- for no reason.

So I'll just try to answer you like this. The President. He doesn't use them. You never hear people of high "class" (for lack of better word) using words like that. Those words just don't show dignity or self-respect. I don't hold myself up to be a president or something like that, but that doesn't mean that I have to purposely lower myself. If a candidate was known to use those words (like caught on tape or something like that), I have a hard time believing that he would get elected. People want someone who doesn't use them, because they have a gut feeling that it's not right. Why? It's just the way it is. I can't really explain it, but I think you can get what I'm trying to say.

That's why I don't use them, but you can do whatever you want. :)

What I wrote probably sounds very unorganized because I just wrote them as they came to my head.
------
Around 2 seconds before I posted my reply, you did. :D
I just found that funny

Last edited:

BarneyL

Registered Member
jack612, yes, I think those who are bothered - not uppity offended, just bothered - by over-use (or any use?) of swear words cannot be fathomed by those who think they are fine and dandy. Never the twain shall meet, I'm afraid. So we all just look for a place we feel comfortable.

Merc

Problematic Shitlord
V.I.P.
It's simple though. I already said it. Swearing carries a "class" limitation. High-brow comedy has always been considered better because it's clean. Guys like Bill Cosby and Jeff Foxworthy will always be commended for not being dirty with their words. People are simply taught differently about language. Higher class folk tend to be taught more about their presentation to others and thus, are taught that their language must be "cleaner". My question is why is "cleaner" and how did those words become "dirty"?

I really think it's because they acquired wrongful tags of being "low class" and "unintelligent".

jack612

Registered Member
I didn't get an email about a reply, so I didn't check it for a while.

I can't answer your question and maybe your answer is right, but if that's the way it is, that's the way it is....

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
sunrise General Discussion 20
HalfEatenSurprise General Discussion 11
Danno Bathroom Wall 1
Boredie Politics & Law 16
RATTIE General Discussion 51