• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Swearing. Not.

The_Burger_King

Registered Member
The F word doesnt bother me or many people I know, I am thinking it is more of a generation gap thing. No I am not hitting you with the old timers blast Barney, hell you aren't but 21 years older than I so not that huge of a difference but enough to where certain things that are no big deal to some generations are to others.

BarneyL

Registered Member
Generational? Maybe. I had a grandpa who was in the Navy and ALL he said were swear words, I swear! So it's always been around, but ... I think when you get older and "settled," you just want to hear it less. It's lazy language, in a way;)

Merc

Problematic Shitlord
V.I.P.
I enjoy both environments, the chan-style warzone immaturity and a place like here where you can get a great discussion going with honest and respectable people (Guys Kaz and Sui come to mind).

However, I've never been bothered by language. People are conditioned to believe that certain words hold more power than others which really bothers me. Words hold only the power we give them and yet we're stuck with idiotic groups like the FCC and other wastes of time and space. They basically regulate free speech.

Wait, why does that sentence sound so wrong?

BarneyL

Registered Member
Maybe it's my upbringing, or age, but certain words really do bother me. That can restrict where I feel comfortable. Not trying to impose my issues on others, just find folks who prefer talking without the seven words you can't say on TV;)

Merc

Problematic Shitlord
V.I.P.
I mean, people who cuss every other word just have poor communication skills. They are simple words, so it only makes sense to expect a bit more out of someone. I don't dislike them because they make baby Jesus cry, I dislike them because they prevent people from expanding their vocabulary.

BarneyL

Registered Member
Hmm, somewhere between four-letter words and the obligatory "huh?" they throw into Time magazine articles to make 99.99 pct. of population run to their dictionary... a happy medium.

jack612

Registered Member
That's not why I signed up, but I definitely like the feature of censoring. I've never sworn in my life and I don't want to start. I'm always afraid that if I read to many things that have swearing in it, then it might become part of my vocabulary (not that I would use it when typing things out [that's in my control], but it might slip one time orally if I get really upset).

A little while ago I searched for forums and I found one, but it was really bad (every other word), so I stopped going to that one. Then I checked this one out, and when I saw that option I was really excited, and so far it's pretty good. It's still isn't the best because instead I see stars so it's obvious what they're saying, but it's better than nothing.

I've always wondered why people feel that they have to speak like that, it probably lowers the way people think of you...:-/

The_Burger_King

Registered Member
That's not why I signed up, but I definitely like the feature of censoring. I've never sworn in my life and I don't want to start. I'm always afraid that if I read to many things that have swearing in it, then it might become part of my vocabulary (not that I would use it when typing things out [that's in my control], but it might slip one time orally if I get really upset).

A little while ago I searched for forums and I found one, but it was really bad (every other word), so I stopped going to that one. Then I checked this one out, and when I saw that option I was really excited, and so far it's pretty good. It's still isn't the best because instead I see stars so it's obvious what they're saying, but it's better than nothing.

I've always wondered why people feel that they have to speak like that, it probably lowers the way people think of you...:-/
Really you have never ever in your life even slipped up and said one cuss word. You have never stumped you toe and said damnit, or see a hot chick and said look at that ass, oh crap you cant read any of those words cuase you got your kiddie filter kind of pointless to ask now.

jack612

Registered Member
Really you have never ever in your life even slipped up and said one cuss word. You have never stumped you toe and said damnit, or see a hot chick and said look at that ass, oh crap you cant read any of those words cuase you got your kiddie filter kind of pointless to ask now.
That's correct. I just say "ow" because it's not an instinct for me to say things like that. And no, I don't make any comments about girls I see.

I liked your last line, it was very funny, seriously :)

Clear_Note

Demon King/Sith Warrior
I find that restricting swear words just for the fact that they're somehow different from other words yet acceptable in a different form is just idiotic. Shit and poop and crap are all the same, so what's the difference in which of those words is more of a swear? It's ridiculous, nobody should substitute their swear words because people can't understand that swears have the same meaning as acceptable words. The only swears that I really care if someone says is if it's in a stupid way, like this one time where a kid and his friend where playing at the movie theater arcade game and he kept going "fuckers" every time his friend hit the opponent. It got really damn annoying, but then again, if it was any word i'd be annoyed.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
sunrise General Discussion 20
HalfEatenSurprise General Discussion 11
Danno Bathroom Wall 1
Boredie Politics & Law 16
RATTIE General Discussion 51