Swear words and Profanity

Hoosier_Daddy

Registered Member
There are words that have no other purpose other to inflame and insult. I'll go out on a limb and give you a couple of examples.

* [email protected]&Cer.

* Cock$*%#er

* [email protected]

Then there are other swear words such as the universal adjective that can be used in a derogatory manner instead of as a replacement word. If I were to tell a woman that I'd like to 'fuck' her, I'd simply be telling her I'd like to have sex. However, if I told her to go 'fuck herself', I'd be using the word in such a negative light that it could only be construed as insulting.

Hoosier.

A

AllenIversonAllStar

The worst thing about the "N" word is that nowadays you'll here it from African-Americans themselves saying it as a pronoun for almost any kind of person. The only reason that I can think why we actually are offended by some words is maybe just because they sound "dirty" or because the thing they describe can be used in a dirty way ("s" word with feces, "f" word with sexual relations, do I need to say more?)

S

Sgt Schultz

http://files.kavefish.com/audio/usage_of_the_f-word.wav

Faggot is an insult in the US if I remember correctly. I heard it meant cigars or something in the UK. Sometimes words just sound mean, so they are.
You are correct, faggot or fag means a cigarette in the UK and is widely used. It can be a shock at first to many Americans to hear the word bandied around so easily until they realize what is being talked about.

Nevyrmoore

AKA Ass-Bandit
Only the word 'fag' means cigarette in the UK. Faggot is used as a derogatory word, as is the word fag when meant that way.

The word fag can also seem strange if someone uses the outdated term 'bum a fag', which means borrow a cig.

I

Impaired

Why does only "nigger" bother you?

That really doesn't make any sense.

Any racial epithet is as bad as any other racial epithet.

Insult, is in the mind of the person on the receiving end, and you choose whether or not to be insulted.

One person, can call you a "fucking asshole" and make you smile.

Obviously, the word "nigger" is not the problem, as it is used MUCH more commmonly among the race it supposedly offends, than outside.

I do voices, I always have. I am very good at imitation and can mimic accents and even foreign languages I do not know, by listening to rhythms in speech and then copying them.

Kind of like a human magpie.

I had a long discussion once, because I chose to imitate an old black blues player (gravelly voice of the Delta, Mississippi style) - a person who was previously amused by some of the other voices, especially my Scotsman, was offended because I was being racist for imitating a black man. They let the Farsi Indian, the Korean grocer . However, and the Arab nomad all pass by without comment. But imitate a black man!!!

THAT'S RACIST!

And you know what, it can be - when the person is a racist or using race in a derogatory manner, most assuredly, but it is not somehow bad, where pretending to be English or Scottish is good.

If I put on a southern twang and say, "I'm just a poor Virginia crackah, tryin' t' make a dollah." I am neither insulting white people or southerners. It happens to be a line from a Robert Ludlum book that cracked me up.

Racism, is bad, regardless of race.

Reverse racism = tolerance. For some odd reason, people think racism is only racism when it is against blacks.

The idea is preposterous.

That racism against blacks is practically institutionalized in America is a serious problem, but it doesn't mean such racism is worse - just more prevalent.

Merc

Certified Shitlord
V.I.P.
Why does only "nigger" bother you?

Reverse racism = tolerance. For some odd reason, people think racism is only racism when it is against blacks.
I don't think a lot of people think that. I only mentioned 'nigger' because it's the most prevalent slur used in our society. Not to mention, it has a double meaning, one being positive and the other negative. The word itself is astounding because depending on your skin color, saying it can get you in deep shit. It's crazy.

It's the racial slur you hear the most and just because it's the only one I mentioned doesn't mean I think it's the only one. Like you yourself said, it's just the most prevalent in our society.

I

Impaired

I don't think a lot of people think that. I only mentioned 'nigger' because it's the most prevalent slur used in our society. Not to mention, it has a double meaning, one being positive and the other negative. The word itself is astounding because depending on your skin color, saying it can get you in deep shit. It's crazy.

It's the racial slur you hear the most and just because it's the only one I mentioned doesn't mean I think it's the only one. Like you yourself said, it's just the most prevalent in our society.
I hear all the time that discrimination against whites is "reverse racism" which is silly.

It is just racism. Any time you base it on race, regardless of other factors, and regardless of which race, it is just plain racism.

Merc

Certified Shitlord
V.I.P.
I hear all the time that discrimination against whites is "reverse racism" which is silly.
It is. It does seem like there's only black and white in this country doesn't it? Although I've never heard of this statement "reverse racism" it is quite ridiculous. Sometimes, it seems that blacks are trying to 'make up' for their history by being racist themselves.

That always works. Way to go.

breathilizer

Resident Ass-Kisser
Why hasn't anyone stated the obvious? Hell, Corona even watched the very informative episode of Bullshit!, but apparently didn't learn anything from it. Bad words are bad because they're banned. The stricter we are with these words, the more shock-value they build, and the 'worse' they become. Trying to ban the words has exactly the opposite consequence as is intended.

Go into a very strict household and say "Gosh darnit!" You might get the same reaction from the family as if you crucified Jesus yourself. Why? Because they banned the word. To them "Gosh darnit" is swearing.

So to all the people suggesting that we ban the words or stop using them, way to go! hope none of you get elected into an office because you're too quick to the draw to see what you're shooting at. God forbid you ever get into a position of real power where you might have to make a law or something.

"Hey! People are getting shot in home burglaries! I know! Let's ban guns! Yeah. That'll work...

Think before you go out and tell people what we should and should not do. If you're offended by sounds, YOU'RE the one with the problems. Yes, that goes for black people or anyone else offended by the word nigger, which doesn't mean "ignorant." It means black, as in African American. Spick means Mexican, gook means Asian, honky means white, and dune coon means arabic. Big deal. Nicknames are supposed to be fun.

You know... In the Army, we all have nicknames. I have psoriasis (a skin condition), so my nickname is Flake or Psoriasaurus Rex. I laugh at them because they're funny. But we have one guy with an orange tint who we called Citrus Dragon. Well, one day he felt like he didn't want to be called that anymore, so he went and cried about it. Suddenly, we weren't allowed to say it and after a while it gained more shock value whenever someone said it. And you know what? It had nothing to do with us being mean or disrespectful. It had to do with him being a freaking vagina about the situation.

Well, I'm off to bed hoping that given the subject matter of this thread, we'll be given a little wiggle-room in the cussing department. Wish me luck. lol