Swear words and Profanity

Discussion in 'Politics & Law' started by Corona, Dec 5, 2006.

1. Corona

Corona Registered Member

Profanity and 'Bad Words'

I was watching Bullshit! with Penn and Teller today, and thought I'd make a thread on this topic.

There is no such thing as a bad word. Words are simply letters, people irrationally ascribe more power or value to certain words. To be more specific, I'll use the word (forgive me mods but the thread is about it) SHIT, it means the exact same thing as crap, or feces, but for some reason people cringe when they hear SHIT.

The most charged word in the English language without a doubt, is the N word (I won't say that one I like it here). Why is SO much power put into one 6 letter word? There is no rational or logical reason why. Some will argue that it refers to a time when African-Americans were slaves, but if that is so, why is it used in countless contexts, and most of all by African-Americans themselves? In an attempt to decrease its power? I don't think so. Emotion should NOT be ascribed in single words.

You can argue the N word thing, but please try to keep the WHOLE topic in mind.

Edit- here are two helpful links. And the bullshit one is really funny.
    Essay- Mommy, what does ****** mean? http://www.sebsteph.com/Professional/Bart's class/Readings/naylor.htm

This is the Bullshit! video, it is labeled under alien abduction because I think the guy who submitted it was trying to avoid being caught doing copywright infringement.
    http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=3644072958341565007&q=penn+and+teller+profanity&hl=en

2. raddmadd

raddmadd Registered Member

Their "dirty" words thats existence (now at least) is to offend others, thats why they are "bad words."

and although you probably don't care: Ephesians 4:29 and Colosians 3:8.

....and although they are just words, alot can be done with just words.

3. Corona

Corona Registered Member

It's obvious what the purpose is, I asked why we ascribe more power to certain words, not what the effect of the words is.

4. raddmadd

raddmadd Registered Member

ah ok. well then i agree with you lol. I don't know why we do, we do alot of things we shouldn't do ;) I think its stupid too.

5. Merc

Merc Certified Shitlord V.I.P. Lifetime

I made a thread about the word "nigger" some time ago. I believe its use today keeps racism alive and should be discouraged, but on the other hand it is just a word and people are too heated when it comes to certain words.

People let words affect them way too much. I mean, you could really drive someone up a wall in anger or drill them into the ground with depression with choice words.

6. Sgt Schultz

Sgt Schultz Guest

The N word is the only word that if I hear it I get angry that it is used. While you can't ban words there is too much history behind that particular word for it to ever be used for anything other than in a historical context.

7. oxyMORON

oxyMORON A Darker Knight

I think some words have more power than others is because some people began using it in times of trouble or anger, and it evolves from there.

8. Merc

Merc Certified Shitlord V.I.P. Lifetime

I agree, which is why I hate how often it's used in our culture. Especially seeing as it's used as a positive term between blacks at times. What the hell drove the black culture to keep and embrace the word? I'm serious, I want to know.

9. oxyMORON

oxyMORON A Darker Knight

I'm guessing it's a word that only they can use without being "racist". Maybe it gives them a sense of superiority somehow.

and it's not only the blacks that use it. There're tons of Hispanics that use it regularly also.

10. Sephiroth_Masamune

Sephiroth_Masamune l 7SIN Sasori l

The only word I consider bad, IS nigger. It has been used to bad content, and it pisses black people off. No need to use this word anyway...what does it ACTUALLY mean? Ignorant person? Then we are all niggers...

Anywho, swear words just have too much emphasis on them. I use them to intensify a point in sentences to show what I feel. I don't call those bad, but tell that to certain religeous people...you'll be there all day.