• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Sick SWAT in Virginia Kill Unarmed Man

Doc

Trust me, I'm The Doctor.
V.I.P.
?Why did you shoot me? I was reading a book”: The new warrior cop is out of control - Salon.com

This is disgusting. A detective overheard a man betting with friends over a Redskins game and befriended him so he could investigate the gambling. He eventually set up higher and higher bets until he could charge him with running a gambling organization. This allowed the detective to call in a SWAT team to arrest him. A SWAT officer fired a pellet that broke skin and went straight to the man's heart, killing him. He was unarmed.

His last words were to the detective he viewed as a friend: “Dude, what are you doing?”

The article says that this isn't the first abuse of force by Virginia SWAT, either. I believe that atrocities like this are why people are starting to believe that the United States is turning into a police state. This was clearly not the correct use of manpower and the taxpayer's dollar. We, as Americans, are paying for unnecessary force such as this. This detective was clearly a coward and a bully. He could have arrested this man at him home with no incident with nothing more than a couple of local uniform officers.

A settlement of two million dollars was given to the man's family. That money is also from the taxpayers and also does not justify murdering a father in cold blood at his own home.

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
That's terrible and I hope those responsible are held accountable. The U.S. is definitely becoming more and more of a police state. Just look at the manhunt for Dzhokhar Tsarnaev a couple months ago. Dangerous suspect, sure. But I think practically shutting down the entire city of Boston, going door to door searching homes, was overboard and maybe an abuse of power.

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
Sounds like to me the cop just kept on until he could have a good reason to call in the swat team. He should be charged with entrapment and murder.

Taking Shaquille O’Neal on swat raids, that is the stupidest most moronic thing I have ever read. Why take sports stars or actors on raids with you.

I'm afraid if things don't change people here will look at cops like they do in Brazil, not someone to be trusted, more on the same level as a gang. That will not be good either for cops, the people or the country.

CaptainObvious

Son of Liberty
V.I.P.
That's terrible and I hope those responsible are held accountable. The U.S. is definitely becoming more and more of a police state. Just look at the manhunt for Dzhokhar Tsarnaev a couple months ago. Dangerous suspect, sure. But I think practically shutting down the entire city of Boston, going door to door searching homes, was overboard and maybe an abuse of power.
The pictures of that manhunt disturbed me. It was disturbing to see cops in that kind of gear with that kind of firepower, they looked like a military unit, not a law enforcement agency. This is just another example of the police state we are becoming and I agree, I hope those responsible are held accountable.
------
4th of July DUI Checkpoint - Drug Dogs, Searched without Consent, while Innocent - YouTube

I wanted to add this video. This is pretty typical. I hate to say this but this is typical of the ignorance of the law but MANY cops. When I was a prosecutor I often pointed out how stupid they were because of the many screwups they would do. If I was a prosecutor and this guy was arrested even if he did have drugs in his car I would have pointed out his stupidity because most likely the case would be thrown out due to 4th Amendment violations.

Last edited:

AnitaKnapp

It's not me, it's you.
V.I.P.
That is awful and a gross use of power. Why the hell would you need a swat team for one guy that wasn't even trying to do anything?

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
I wanted to add this video. This is pretty typical. I hate to say this but this is typical of the ignorance of the law but MANY cops. When I was a prosecutor I often pointed out how stupid they were because of the many screwups they would do. If I was a prosecutor and this guy was arrested even if he did have drugs in his car I would have pointed out his stupidity because most likely the case would be thrown out due to 4th Amendment violations.
Wow, that is outrageous. I love when the officer asks if he's an attorney and knows the law and the guy says "Yes sir, I do." It's as if cops just assume people don't know the law and then try to take advantage of them. Similar things happen with the TSA at airport security checks all the time, which is a big reason why I don't like to fly anymore. The Constitution clearly doesn't protect you at airports.

Wade8813

Registered Member
I'm not sure which I dislike more - the excessive force, or the police deliberately goading a person they KNOW isn't doing anything wrong into committing a crime. I'm trying to decide if it's ever okay to goad someone like that. If the person is an established gang member, I can see giving them a golden opportunity to do something wrong, but pushing them towards it seems like it might be bad, even in that situation.

(I will say though, that the TSA is a different scenario IMO. You are agreeing to utilize a private company's product, and thus are subject to their rules. The issue is that those companies probably don't have any choice in the matter)