Surround sound music...

Discussion in 'Computers' started by pro2A, Jun 22, 2009.

1. pro2A

pro2A Hell, It's about time!

Anyone know how I can get two channel MP3's to play on my 5 channel computer surround sound?

I got one of these cards with my new computer and can only get the front left/right speakers to play music. The card is designed for both 5.1 and 7.1 surround sound and I would imagine it could at least play my music in 5 channel surround sound, not 2... no luck.

I have 5 slots in my sound card for the sound... in order left to right they are black, light green, pink, light blue and orange.

I have four cords that come out of the main speaker, one of which hooks into the subwoofer, and the other three plug into the sound card. Black, green and orange.

Out of the subwoofer I have 4 slots for the other four speakers. left speaker is white, center speaker is red the two rear ones are yellow and black. Each speaker manually plugs into the subwoofer.

Going back to the soundcard, If I plug the green cord into the green slot, only the two front left/right speakers work... and none of the others work. If I plug the orange cord into the green slot only the center speaker works. The left and right stop working.

The only color that seems to work coming out of the subwoofer is the white one. What am I doing wrong here? I tried uninstalling and reinstalling the drivers and can't get this to work. I want all 5 speakers to work, I know the card can do it, but can only get 2 to work at anyone time. :banghead:

Am I SOL... I heard somewhere you need to have 5 channel music/game/media etc in order to listen in surround sound... Anything else you can only listen to in 2 channel regardless of the card you have. Any truth to this?

Last edited: Jun 22, 2009

2. Smelnick

Smelnick Creeping On You V.I.P.

The 5 slots on your sound card, are those all output? Check the little symbols beside them.

Usually on most sound cards, black is for line in, green is for output and pink is for microphone.

Reading on the page for the sound card, it says that you need a proper reciever for the sound card. do you just have the five speakers for the surround sound, or do you have a reciever for them too? You need something that can decode a dolby digital signal.

3. Bananas

Bananas Endangered Species

Most obvious things first;
    Have you told windows you are using 5:1 surround?

Control panel> Sounds&Audio Devices> Audio> Sound Playback>***Make sure you have the card selected in the drop down box*** > GOto Advanced> Select 5:1 from the drop dpwn box.

If that fails check the instruction manual for installation order, sometimes you install the card first other times you install the drivers first. Oddly this can throw out all sorts of problems if done in the wrong order.

Other things you might want to consider; disabling onboard sound in the BIOS or removing old audio drivers incase it is conflicting. tweaking settings, some cards may need to understad the computer differently, the logitech cards use something called a Matrix, I dont know what Asus uses sorry. But try them all.

Thats correct, it will only play however many channels it is presented with. All 6 speakers will work but they wont be independent. In todays age though this should not be a problem.

4. pro2A

pro2A Hell, It's about time!

Ya... I went thru the basic trouble shooting already... what I can't figure out is how my stero system in my car can play 2 channel MP3's on 5 channel speakers... but my $90 dollar sound card cant... :confused:

5. Bananas

Bananas Endangered Species

A 2 channel mp3 is mapped for 2 channels, you need to tell the card that it has to distribuite the 2 channels across the 6 speakers. In the driver control panel there should be some kind of "matrix" option, that is what you need to tweak. Not having the card in front of me I cant help any more than that and I suspect the terminology will be different but that should be where the problem lay if you have taken all other steps I have suggested thus far.

Tell Windows?
    Set Drivers?
    Disable Bios?

If it still does not work then its probably a motherboard issue or a dodgy card.

pro2A likes this.
  6. dDave

dDave Guardian of the Light V.I.P.

I used to run 2 channel mp3's on 4 speakers, I didn't use the rear speaker spots on my sound card though,s I used both the line out and the headphones out slot, worked perfectly even if I had 2 speakers playing the same exact sounds :lol:.

Of course with things that do run in 5.1 surround that would be a little annoying, I just didn't have anything at the time that did, maybe you don't either.

You might also try goign to your speaker/audio settings in control panel.

7. Mirage

Mirage Administrator Staff Member V.I.P.

You can get software (sometimes included with your sound card or motherboard) that will spread sound across additional channels. I used to run a surround sound setup with my computer but I used a separate surround sound amp to feed the music to the speakers. I'm not positive about what can be done if the audio is going from the computer directly to the speakers.