• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Surprising Things that Frighten You

Crouton

Ninja
V.I.P.
Is there anything your scared of that that people find hard to believe. Things that people would have never guessed you would have been scared of?

For me it's geckoes. Geckoes freak me out, and whenever anyone finds out they laugh at me or say they can't believe it, since I love reptiles so much. I own a lizard bigger than most geckos, and will comfortably hold snakes, iguanas, large monitors etc with no problem. But geckoes... no thanks.

Konshentz

Konshentz
Driving. That usually surprises people at first. Not exactly sure why... but I feel incredibly uncomfortable behind the wheel.

Jeanie

still nobody's bitch
V.I.P.
Geese. I'm terrified of them. And they know it. They can smell my fear. If I'm walking with other people and we encounter geese, I hide behind the people I'm with. If I'm alone and I encounter geese, I turn around and go the other way. And those fuckers follow me!

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
Nothing really today. But, when I was kid all the way til I was about 17-18 years-old I was terrified of homeless people. In the back of my mind I always said that, they may attack me out of nowhere since they have nothing to lose. Obviously, not the best way to look at it, but that's how I saw it.

My stance has changed now and no longer fear them.

Crouton

Ninja
V.I.P.
Driving. That usually surprises people at first. Not exactly sure why... but I feel incredibly uncomfortable behind the wheel.
I understand this, I also hate driving. But for me it's not a surprise, as everyone who knows me knows how scared I am of driving. I will do basically anything to avoid being behind the wheel.

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
I'm afraid of extreme heights, like looking over a 2000 foot cliff, make me kind of dizzy. Really didn't think I would be but I found out different in Colorado. When I was a kid I would climb big oak trees and get as close to the top as I could. You could see so much, loved it, so yea that surprised me.

EdgeHead

Registered Member
Same for me. I hate heights. My friend used to live with his dad in a condo and we could go on the roof to get some air. I never got close to the edge of the roof. Just thinking about it scares me to death.

The_Chameleon

Grandmaster
I'm scared of stupid people. No, not Forrest Gump types, but the sort that make you wonder about natural selection. The ones that wear their stupidity as a badge of honor are the ones that scare me the most. I'm scared some of these morons may one day be in positions of authority. I fear some already are.

- Cham

Rapier

V.I.P.
Flying monkeys. Heights. Roller coasters and other "rides." When I was in first or second grade the class visited a place that had a lookout fire tower. It had steps but a ways up I was on my hands and knees the rest of the way up. I wonder how I got back down?
I've grown wary of speed boats.

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
Same for me. I hate heights. My friend used to live with his dad in a condo and we could go on the roof to get some air. I never got close to the edge of the roof. Just thinking about it scares me to death.
When I was a kid, besides tree climbing, we would get in the loft of the barn and jump out on a old mattress. I even remember taking a flying leap off the roof of the porch of my grandfathers house. So it surprised me I would be afraid of just looking off a cliff.

Flying monkeys. Heights. Roller coasters and other "rides." When I was in first or second grade the class visited a place that had a lookout fire tower. It had steps but a ways up I was on my hands and knees the rest of the way up. I wonder how I got back down?
I've grown wary of speed boats.
I won't get on a roller coaster because those things are scary to me. Also they will make me barf. I just know they will because of my experiences with other rides.

Fire towers don't bother me. TV antenna towers are scarier, they sway in the wind more and you have nothing around you. Tuned my back for one second on my son once and up a TV tower he went. Threw my purse down and went up after him. Kept him between me and the tower and climbed back down.