Surgical Addiction BDD and BIID

• Thread starter imported_SexyKungfuSammy
  • Start date
I

imported_SexyKungfuSammy

Not to go to Deep in it 2 disorders BDD aka Body Dysmorphic Disorder and BIID Aka Body Integrity Identifiy Disorder

Body dysmorphic disorder (BDD) is a mental disorder, which involves a disturbed body image. Body dysmorphic disorder is generally diagnosed of those who are extremely critical of their physique or self image, despite the fact there may be no noticeable disfigurement or defect; individuals secluding themselves from social interaction, often avoiding seeing themselves through a mirror or reflection.

Most people wish they could change or improve their physical appearance, but some people, otherwise considered normal, believe that they are so unspeakably hideous that they are unable to interact with others or function normally for fear of ridicule and humiliation at their ugliness.

BDD focuses on an individual's preoccupation with an imagined physical defect in their appearance although this person looks reasonably normal. This disorder has been referred to as "imagined ugliness"

It is estimated that BDD affects 1 in 50 people, mostly teenagers and young adults. Low self-esteem is a trademark of those with BDD due to their perceived physical flaws

Body Integrity Identity Disorder (BIID), also known as Amputee Identity Disorder or Apotemnophilia (from Greek αποτέμνειν "to cut off", and φιλία "love of") is the overwhelming desire to amputate one or more healthy limbs or other parts of the body. Although it most commonly refers to people who wish to amputate limbs, BIID also applies to those who wish to alter their bodily integrity. The more recent names have generally replaced the name "apotemnophilia" because the identification of this disorder simply as a paraphilia is now increasingly believed to be incorrect.

A person with BIID typically wants one or more of his or her limbs cut off. The condition should not be mistaken for a person with acrotomophilia, who is sexually attracted to other persons who are already missing limbs. However, there does seem to be some relationship between the two disorders, with some individuals exhibiting both conditions.

Today, very few surgeons will treat BIID patients by giving them what they want. Some act out their desires, pretending they are amputees using prostheses and other tools to ease their desire to be one. There are hence several recorded cases of sufferers resorting to self-amputation of a "superfluous" limb, for example by allowing a train to run over it, or by damaging the limb so badly that surgeons will have to amputate it. Often the obsession is with one specific limb, with patients "not feeling complete while they still have a left leg", for example. However, BIID does not simply involve amputation. It involves any wish to significantly alter body integrity. Some people suffer from the desire to become paralyzed, blind, deaf, use orthopaedic appliances such as leg-braces, etc. The condition is usually treated, unsuccessfully, as a psychiatric disorder.

Persons suffering from BIID can be as young as four or five years old when they first discover their condition, for example by feeling jealous of an amputee. Some BIID patients compare the evaluation of BIID as a psychiatric illness to the historical classification of homosexuality as a mental illness. Like transgender people, someone suffering from BIID feels that he or she is "meant" to live with an altered body. They consider this to be an unconscious genetic decision, much like sexual orientation. The same argument -- no one would choose to have something this difficult -- is applied. Some BIID-rights advocates suggest that as little as 30 years ago, being transgender, gay, bisexual or anything relating to that was considered just as "wrong" as BIID is today, and that this should change in the future.

More research needs to be done about BIID and apotemnophilia - only a few studies have been done on the subject; but as research gains ground, more and more hospitals recognize the condition.

Resources from www.Wikipedia.org

Please post your thoughts about this along with celebs or other that might have either disorder.

A

Anonym0uz Bitch

First of all, what exactly are your thoughts on the matter, and why exactly did you decide to post about it?

I uhm... really don't know what to say... it sucks for people who have BDD, and I can't relate at all to people with BIID, so I don't know what that would be like. Is there any sort of psychosomatic influencing drug that they can take to help things?

A

Anonym0uz Bitch

I am still waiting to see why exactly this thread was made in the first place, since the starter did not put her own out put, or as to why she even posted this thread.

I

imported_SexyKungfuSammy

Sorry about that well I think it is being a problem. My uncle Suffers from BIID When refused for an operation he has both his legs shattered below the knew so he could get the operation to remove them. And BDD is becoming a problem as well,people feeling more and more depressed that they feel horrible about how the way the look is something no one should have to go through or even consider massive amounts of surgery.

Is there anything that can be done about it? Or is it a problem that really nothing can change?

I

imported_SexyKungfuSammy

like most depression based disorders it's most about the person state of mind my uncle can't be helped anymore he already got his legs amputated. BIID don't think there is a way to help. BDD can be helped for people considering massive amounts of surgery to correct mirnor flaws about themselves like making them feel better about it

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/medical_notes/625913.stm

is some more about it

http://www.bddcentral.com/ is a site with personal stories and other things about BDD