Surfboard Guide (Mainly for beginners)

Discussion in 'Sports' started by Dolphino, Mar 6, 2009.

1. Dolphino

Dolphino Registered Member

Ok, here's a little surfboard guide for all of you who are just getting into surfing, and want to invest in your very own board.

Well, there are many different kinds of boards: Longboards, shortboards, mini-mals, malibus, softboards, fish etc.

First of all, you should avoid buying a shortboard as your first surfboard, this is because it is not thick enough, long enough or wide enough for surfers in the beginning phase. My advice would be to acquire a Mini-Mal (Ideal beginnerboard). These boards are really good, they are in the skill-level beginner->advanced, which means that this is a board you can develop your skills on(compared to for example a softboard, which is only made for beginners, meaning you would have to trade it out fairly quickly).

A Mini-Mal have the boardabilities that a beginner needs. It's wide, which will help you with stability. It's long, which gives you extra balance and stability. And last, but not least, it's thick, which will guarantee you a very good buoyancy/floating ability. This boarddesign makes the Mini-Mal really good to paddle, due to it's buoyancy it is quite fast in terms of acceleration/speed in the water. This, together with the good balance on this board, makes it easier to catch waves (which is relatively essential for you to progress as a surfer, isn't it?

Here's a handy guide you should keep in mind when buying a board:

BOARDGUIDE

Boardsize

Mini-mals are found in the size category 6’8” to 8’4” (this number describes the length of the board). Happy surfer lad waiting for the reef to finishA good size for beginners is approx 7’6” to 8’4”.

Remember what was mentioned earlier in this article. (1)Wider board = More stability (2)Longer board = Extra balance and stability (3)Thicker board = Better buoyancy/floating ability, thereby easier to padle, which makes it easier to catch waves.
    A ultra thin, light shortboard will make it very hard for you to develop as a surfer, if you're not already at the level where you are ready to add a shortboard to your boardcollection. A shortboard like this, based on you not being ready for it (skillwise), can end in pure frustration. Which will lead to you having less fun out there, as you're not catching anything. This will lead you into a vicious cycle were you surf less and less, and before it has even begun, your surfing career might be over.

Now that you've done a little bit of research, and know approximately what kind of board you want. It's time to invest. [​IMG]

Hope this helps!

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 8, 2010

2. Cait

Cait Oh, poppycock.

This is pretty informative. I've always wanted to surf, but theres not really any place to in Pennsylvania. :[

3. Vidic15

Vidic15 No Custom Title Exists V.I.P. Lifetime

And your toes always must be at end of the board, and when you get ready to surf, slide up the board with your hell touching your bum, then put hands on side of the surfboard, and quickly get up, to hold balance, swing your arms and not to fall. To make a turn, gently lean to the side.

4. Dolphino

I fully understand how that might present as a geographical problem ;) but if you ever get the chance (i.e. on a holiday or something similar), I heavilly recommend taking a lesson or two.

5. Nightsurfer

Nightsurfer ~Lucky 13 strikes again~

It's nice to see a few more surfers on here. I have a slightly different style for popping up. I guess it is in how you learned to surf. I am self taught, so I do a knee bounce when popping up.

I also tend to use my heel to cut the board in to the waves and use my toes to steer more. I think it also has something to do with where you wave ride too.

I still prefer my old school OP sprint board and the 1550 Kona wood Great board. I found a neat trick to gaining speed on the smaller waves By putting Turtle "Car wax" on the bottom of my boards.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2009
  6. Dolphino

Hehehe.. seriously? That sounds awesome! How would that work in terms of physics? Would it act as a "dent/scratch-filler", thereby giving the board a more smooth surface, and as a direct result you get less friction, and a faster ride?

7. Nightsurfer

You got it! :nod:
    When I was first told that by an old pro surfer I didn't think it would work. But I tried it a few years back and what do you know it does work. You do have to keep an eye on the build up for repeated use.

I have also heard tales of surfers spraying the bottom of their boards down with Pledge to get faster rides too, but I haven't tried that one.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2009
  8. Dolphino

As I surf mostly in Bournemouth, United Kingdom, I get my fair share of small waves (we get some good ones aswell, but less frequently). And it definitely wouldn't hurt to get a little bit more speed on the smaller waves! I'm going to try out the "turtle wax method" in the near future Nightsurfer, and get back to you with the results! ;) Cheers buddy!

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 8, 2010
  9. Nightsurfer

Have you seen the new trend called "Big thanker wake surfing"? There is a group in Texas that has started the trend and it is starting to catch on.

Have you ever tried Tow-in surfing? If not you might want to give that a whirl as well. I do it atleast once or twice a summer. If you want to rider some Huge waves I recommend you try it.