• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Supreme Court limits cellphone searches

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
Police may not generally search the cellphones of people they arrest without first getting search warrants, the Supreme Court unanimously ruled Wednesday.

Supreme Court limits cellphone searches after arrests - CBS News
I think this is great news for a change. I don't think they should be able to search your phone without a warrant. There is too much personal information on phones anymore. If cops have a good reason to search your phone they can get a warrant pretty fast. Unless a judge doesn't think there is good reason to search your phone.

The Obama administration isn't too happy about it though. They like those warrantless searches.

Thoughts?

Van

Heavy Weapons Guy
V.I.P.
I agree this is good news. For once the courts got something right. Warrantless searches are unconstitutional.

Unfortunately, the snooping of the NSA dwarfs this problem. And there don't seem to be any major steps in the right direction on that issue.

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
I think the Patriot Act needs revoked that would take away a lot of the NSA's power to snoop freely. I wish they had read that bill before they voted on it. However that's water under the bridge, the government needs to right that wrong now. I don't look for it to happen though, they aren't going to give up the power democrat or republican. Maybe this also needs taken up by the Supreme Court.

This is a old article written right after the patriot act was passed. Paul was one of three republicans that voted against it. Wish one of those guys would run for president.

[SIZE=+1]What is so bad about the new law? "Generally," says Paul, "the worst part of this so-called antiterrorism bill is the increased ability of the federal government to commit surveillance on all of us without proper search warrants."[/SIZE]

House Approved Anti-Terror Bill WITHOUT EVEN READING IT!

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
I agree, this was good news. But unfortunately it's also supposedly very easy to get search warrants. So I think that if they want to search your phone, they're still going to end up searching your phone. They'll just get a warrant for it.

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
That's true Major but it will be more trouble and paperwork for them to do so.