• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Supporting US Troops on the ground

Millz

Better Call Saul
Staff member
V.I.P.
So there's a "war" going on against ISIS and the US and other countries are carrying out airstrikes...we all know this. There are a lot of people who think ther'es no way we can win this war by this alone and it'll eventually take ground troops to get the job done.

What's your stance on this? Would you support the US or your own government if they decided to send actual troops to Syria and Iraq?

I didn't put a poll...just want feedback.

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
I'm not for putting troops on the ground but it looks like that is what we are going to have to do to keep the US safe and stabilize the region so I would support it. Part of this war should include securing our border. There is a rumor that ISIS members have already came across our southern border. Anyone trying to come in illegally should be turned back not allowed into the country. Screw the UN.

The Iraqi army makes me sick, they turned over their weapons to ISIS and ran. Really hate to lose one American life defending those that won't defend themselves. Real brave bunch of people, they had ISIS outgunned and outnumbers they were just missing a spine. I don't want to turn into their personal army but we bought it when we invaded and now we have to defend it.

Now it seems the only one that is really putting an effort into fighting ISIS on the ground is the Kurds. The Kurds are even allowing their women to fight which is unheard of in most of the Arab world. They are doing this without decent weapons too. Maybe they deserve their own country and they should get part of Iraq, Syria and Turkey. Might turn out to be the best country in the region.

Others in the area don't put out much effort on helping the Kurds either. The Yazidis would all be dead if it wasn't for our bombing and the Kurds. I'm wondering if they hope ISIS will wipe them out. Turkey is just standing by watching them being killed and not giving any help. Its not like they don't have a decent army and their people have been released by ISIS. I'm wondering if they, Turkey, are thinking I'll save my bullets and let NATO handle it if ISIS invades.

Needed to get that off my chest.lol

Reactions: Sim

Sim

Registered Member
I'm glad my country, Germany, is contributing by delivering arms to the Kurds and teaching them how to use these weapon systems.

That said, while I am convinced ISIS is evil and needs to be defeated, I am not sure what to do about them. I'm all for ground troops, if experts can make the case that ground troops can solve the problem sustainably.

Ground troops were used in Iraq to topple Saddam, and stayed there for 10 years, yet the result was that ISIS could grow from the ashes of Saddam's regime once the troops were gone.

So I am not in favor of sending ground troops, if all they can do is temporarily pushing the problem under the rug, for one decade or two. If the problem comes up again the moment they leave, I'm against ground troops.

Maybe we have to realize that we, in the West, cannot solve the problems of the Middle East. The people there have to solve their problems themselves. If they simply want so eagerly to kill and mutilate each other, fine, shall they do it, as long as they leave us alone. IMO.

CaptainObvious

Embrace the Suck
V.I.P.
Actually, to be fair, ISIS grew from us taking out our ground troops in Iraq. It's speculation to be sure, but an argument could be made they wouldn't be who they are but for that event.

I am 100% in favor of ground troops to help destroy ISIS.

Millz

Better Call Saul
Staff member
V.I.P.
This is probably going to sound weird coming from someone like me (I have Liberal views) but I am 100% in favor of putting boots on the ground wherever we need to have them in order to fight these assholes.

Usually I am not in favor of conflict, I am not in favor of war, I am not in favor of getting involved BUT I feel we have to do this. The airstrikes aren't going to do enough. Doing nothing is not going to solve the problem. I think the only thing that might solve the problem is to fight them where they stand. Keep doing the airstrikes but they aren't the only thing we should be doing.

If we ignore it, it'll get worse...and their way of thinking spreads and spreads and where does it stop? Answer? It doesn't.

Sim

Registered Member
Actually, to be fair, ISIS grew from us taking out our ground troops in Iraq. It's speculation to be sure, but an argument could be made they wouldn't be who they are but for that event.

I am 100% in favor of ground troops to help destroy ISIS.
I agree, but I also think the entire post-invasion policy of the US in Iraq after 2003 was flawed.

For once, the entire former Iraqi army was dismantled and the new army started at zero. That resulted in thousands of trained, well experienced and well-connected former army members suddenly being unemployed. The US also allowed Maliki to build of a Shai regime that oppressed the Sunni Muslims, as a payback to Saddam, who was Sunni and oppresed the Shia majority.

So of course the significant Sunni minority did not support the new system. And thanks to the many newly unemployed former military people, they had enough resources to revolt. It was only a matter of time until they'd join ISIS to attack their common enemy, the Shia Iraqi government.

As a German, I know America managed to build successful democratic nations in the past. America was a great victor and then mentor for the new West-German democracy post-1945.

But America acted wisely in Germany's case. As bad as it was, but many former Nazis were not fired from their positions, as long as they kept silent and supported the new free system, and it was made sure the old right-wing made peace with the new free, democratic system, by including it.

Why did the US not do that in case of Iraq? Instead, all former Saddam people were just fired. That resulted in a huge number of people with good connections and lots of experience suddenly being unemployed, and with a lot of hate for the new systen and government. And they eventually supported ISIS.

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
I don't believe it's possible to destroy ISIS, or radical Islam, through war. You can kill as many of them as you want, but you can't destroy their ideology, and killing them only makes them stronger (easier to recruit). This is a problem that will have to be dealt with by the countries in that region. Otherwise it's just going to consume us for the rest of our lives.

Reactions: Sim

Sim

Registered Member
I don't believe it's possible to destroy ISIS, or radical Islam, through war. You can kill as many of them as you want, but you can't destroy their ideology, and killing them only makes them stronger (easier to recruit). This is a problem that will have to be dealt with by the countries in that region. Otherwise it's just going to consume us for the rest of our lives.
I agree... to really solve the problem, we need a large consensus of all involved nations in the ME and they need to be capable of doing what they say. We need a kind of "big plan" for the Middle East. And I don't think such a thing like that can ever be achieved without a solution to the Israeli-Palestinian eternal problem.

As for radical Islam; I like to think these savages have to realize that their radicalism is not going to lead them anywhere. Soon enough, they'll realize that either they fall behind, or they change their backwards views.