• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Support for Gay Marriage Has Never Been Higher

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
Support for Gay Marriage Has Never Been Higher - Dashiell Bennett - The Atlantic Wire

Incredibly, the numbers have reversed in a decade.

I think it will be interesting to see how churches eventually deal with the inevitable gay marriage's and homosexuality's widespread, mainstream acceptance. They'll have to reconcile it with the Bible somehow, and I think they will.

CaptainObvious

Son of Liberty
V.I.P.
How will they reconcile it with the Bible, and an even better question, why do they have to? The state can recognize same sex marriage all they want, who says a church HAS to recognize it and have the ceremony in their church?

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
How will they reconcile it with the Bible, and an even better question, why do they have to? The state can recognize same sex marriage all they want, who says a church HAS to recognize it and have the ceremony in their church?
Churches don't want to become marginalized.

How many of them were against interracial marriage a generation ago?

How many of them are against it now?

Iris

rainbow 11!
I agree with Babe Ruth. They don't have to in the sense that there is a gun to their head, but eventually I feel like the support for gay marriage will grow to a point that it will be incredibly rare to find someone who doesn't support it. I could see churches losing members and thus they would be forced to change.

CaptainObvious

Son of Liberty
V.I.P.
Churches don't want to become marginalized.

How many of them were against interracial marriage a generation ago?

How many of them are against it now?
Not many of them, interracial marriage was never considered a sin. Why should a church conform to society? Why WOULD a church go against what they believe is the teaching of what is and what is not a sin? The church should not conform to society, society should conform to the church. The church gives a roadmap if you will to heaven, if people don't want to follow the roadmap that's on them, but the church can't change the roadmap, that wouldn't make sense. If the church becomes irrelevant, they become irrelevant, but they can't change their principles because society does.
------
I agree with Babe Ruth. They don't have to in the sense that there is a gun to their head, but eventually I feel like the support for gay marriage will grow to a point that it will be incredibly rare to find someone who doesn't support it. I could see churches losing members and thus they would be forced to change.
If they lose members, they lose members. I don't see the church conforming to society simply because more members of society begin to accept something.

Last edited:

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
Not many of them, interracial marriage was never considered a sin. Why should a church conform to society? Why WOULD a church go against what they believe is the teaching of what is and what is not a sin? The church should not conform to society, society should conform to the church. The church gives a roadmap if you will to heaven, if people don't want to follow the roadmap that's on them, but the church can't change the roadmap, that wouldn't make sense. If the church becomes irrelevant, they become irrelevant, but they can't change their principles because society does.
The church changes the roadmap all the time.

How many inquisitions lately on believing that the earth revolves around the sun?

CaptainObvious

Son of Liberty
V.I.P.
Besides, I don't see the church losing many people because of this issue. A Catholic can support gay marriage, as I do, and still go to church and practice Catholocism, afterall I'M not marrying another man and thus I'm not sinning in the eyes of church on that issue, so why would leave the church for that reason?
------
The church changes the roadmap all the time.

How many inquisitions lately on believing that the earth revolves around the sun?
Um, ok, was the earth revolving around the sun part of the Bible? Is there a book in the Bible that taught the earth revolved around the sun? You're confusing doctrine and practice.

The point is changes that have been made don't conflict with doctrine. You'll never see the church say "You know that whole don't commit adultry thing, it's outdated and we're doing away with it".

Last edited:

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
I think attitudes are changing about a lot of things. I also don't think its important that the church changes their stance on things as long as the people that belong to that church do.

CaptainObvious

Son of Liberty
V.I.P.
BUT, you COULD see the Catholic Church say "We're going to allow priests to get married" because that does not conflict with Church teachings, that's a practice the Church instituted.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
Besides, I don't see the church losing many people because of this issue. A Catholic can support gay marriage, as I do, and still go to church and practice Catholocism, afterall I'M not marrying another man and thus I'm not sinning in the eyes of church on that issue, so why would leave the church for that reason?
------

Um, ok, was the earth revolving around the sun part of the Bible? Is there a book in the Bible that taught the earth revolved around the sun?
The Scriptural Basis for a Geocentric Cosmology

Also, to add. Numerous churches allow divorced people to marry, despite the Bible's pronouncements that remarriage is, in most cases, akin to adultery.

Last edited: