Superstars Outside the Ring

Discussion in 'Wrestling' started by wooly, Apr 1, 2009.

1. wooly

wooly I am the woolrus

This was one question i found interesting in that 12 Rounds questionnaire. How much do you enjoy seeing superstars making appearances in things like movies and TV?

Personally, i'm usually not a fan of seeing superstars outside the ring. I much rather seeing them stick with what they're best at. I'm not entirely sure why. Maybe because i prefer to see them as sportsmen than actors, and i'm sure i'd hate to see my favourite footballer trying to act in something. PLus the material they get is almost always B grade material for B celebrities.

Another reason i hate it is the vignettes that WWE will shove down your throat to the point of overkill. We've definitely seen in with 12 rounds. I'd rather see a backstage segment than a film trailer.... again... and again... and again.

Also, i guess another factor is there's always examples like The Rock, whp had so much more to give to wrestling but left to make a movie career. I'm happy for him, but it's never good to see as a wrestling fan.

2. Millz

Millz LGB Staff Member V.I.P.

I loved it when Rock hosted SNL and Show, Foley and all them showed up. That was awesome because you barely saw wrestlers branching out like that.

I prefer they still to wrestling, dont act and sometimes show up on SNL or talk shows. Keep it in small doses and it can't be fun.

3. viLky

viLky ykLiv

Same, but instead of SNL (which I HATE) I like to see them on MadTV. Edge did it once and that was a great show to watch. Edge was too funny. :D

However, I feel bad when top wrestlers go on shows and the audience is DEAD. They're like "Edge who" and give no cheer when his name is announce or whatnot. It's very uncomfortable and I actually pity them since they're so huge in WWE, but when it comes to regular folk, they're just not. >.<;

4. Millz

Millz LGB Staff Member V.I.P.

That's why you have to be at a certain level before you go to SNL or somewhere like that. Make yourself a huge star and you'll be noticed outside the ring.

That's not easy to do though haha

5. DJ_Buster

DJ_Buster Registered Member

I've seen some wrestlers.. down to earth on late night talk shows. It's a fun thing to watch. Big Show towered over Conan, who is a tall guy himself.

btw hasn't mad TV been cancled for over a year now???

6. Babe_Ruth

Babe_Ruth Sultan of Swat Staff Member V.I.P.

Personally I love when they go on talk shows, you see how they are in real life. We have a show here in Canada called Off The Record and some great wrestlers have been on this show, and hte host Michael Landsberg ask great questions and these guys aren't afraid to answer them which is great. But on other hand some of them should just stick to wrestling.

7. wooly

wooly I am the woolrus

Agreed, that's a brilliant show. I've watched whatever i can from it on youtube and it's one of the few instances i enjoy seeing wrestlers outside of wrestling.

What i love about it most is the hard hitting questions that Landsberg asks and, like you said, the superstars aren't afraid to answer. It seems like you get the true story of what's happening behind the scenes on it, and that can be hard to get in Vince McMahon's world of wrestling :p

8. Babe_Ruth

Babe_Ruth Sultan of Swat Staff Member V.I.P.

I agree with you wooly, one of the best ones was with J.R. Here's the full video if you guys are interested in watching it. Its pretty old, but it's very good.

YouTube - Off the Record with Jim Ross (Part 1)

YouTube - Off the Record with Jim Ross (Part 2)

YouTube - Off the Record with Jim Ross (Part 2)

Here's a few others that I really enjoyed.

YouTube - Kurt Angle discusses painkillers and drugs

YouTube - Off the Record with Paul Heyman (Part 1)

YouTube - Off the Record with Paul Heyman (Part 2)

YouTube - Off the Record with Paul Heyman (Part 3)

There's also one of Bret Hart which is pretty good, but there's a lot of parts so I didnt post it.