• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Super Storm aimed at California

icegoat63

Son of Liberty
V.I.P.
I'll be honest... my first thoughts when I originally saw this article was;

"Hah, another potential threat to decimate California, I wonder if this will be the one that sheers off the N.A. Plate from the Pacific Plate".

And then I got to actually reading the article and noticed that it hits home a little harder for me than I originally gave it credit. Apparently this storm has over the last couple thousand years, routinely turned the Valley I call home into a temporary Lake.

"Looks like I'll be visiting Kansas sooner than I thought.... and on my Row Boat rather than an Airplane".

So heres the meat and 'taters of it all;

A group of more than 100 scientists and experts say in a new report that California faces the risk of a massive "superstorm" that could flood a quarter of the state's homes and cause $300 billion to $400 billion in damage. Researchers point out that the potential scale of destruction in this storm scenario is four or five times the amount of damage that could be wrought by a major earthquake.

It sounds like the plot of an apocalyptic action movie, but scientists with the U.S. Geological Survey warned federal and state emergency officials that California's geological history shows such "superstorms" have happened in the past, and should be added to the long list of natural disasters to worry about in the Golden State.

The threat of a cataclysmic California storm has been dormant for the past 150 years. Geological Survey director Marcia K. McNutt told the New York Times that a 300-mile stretch of the Central Valley was inundated from 1861-62. The floods were so bad that the state capital had to be moved to San Francisco, and Governor Leland Stanford had to take a rowboat to his own inauguration, the report notes. Even larger storms happened in past centuries, over the dates 212, 440, 603, 1029, 1418, and 1605, according to geological evidence.

The risk is gathering momentum now, scientists say, due to rising temperatures in the atmosphere, which has generally made weather patterns more volatile.

The scientists built a model that showed a storm could last for more than 40 days and dump 10 feet of water on the state. The storm would be goaded on by an "atmospheric river" that would move water "at the same rate as 50 Mississippis discharging water into the Gulf of Mexico," according to the AP. Winds could reach 125 miles per hour, and landslides could compound the damage, the report notes.

Such a superstorm is hypothetical but not improbable, climate researchers warn. "We think this event happens once every 100 or 200 years or so, which puts it in the same category as our big San Andreas earthquakes," Geological Survey scientist Lucy Jones said in a press release.

Federal and state emergency management officials convened a conference about emergency preparations for possible superstorms last week. You can read the whole report here.

Source: Scientists warn California could be struck by winter ‘superstorm’ - Yahoo! News

Scientists Foresee Possible Super-Storm In California CBS Los Angeles- News, Sports, Weather, Traffic and the Best of LA

Overview of the ARkStorm Scenario
So there you have it folks... icegoat63 reporting from the bottom of Lake Central Valley, California.

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
That's pretty crazy. It's like the Yellowstone supervolcano. It's only a matter of time before it happens. No matter how advanced we become, we'll always be at the mercy of Mother Nature.

Impact

V.I.P.
Seems everywhere there is just a natural disaster waiting to happen. But ultimately, if humanity is going to be wiped out by anything, Mother Nature is probably going to play a huge part. Unless we blow ourselves up with nukes first.

SmilinSilhouette

Registered Member
And some may wonder why California is bankrupt.

As if there aren't enough real problems currently facing them, they have the resources to imagine, model, study, plan for, have conferences, issue press releases, make recommendations, and give interviews about an event that could possibly but may never occur on our lifetimes.

I read this article a few days ago and just shook my head. One thing is for sure: Chicken Little Lives!

Dabs

Registered Member
That is a bit of frightening news to read, especially if one lives in California.
I don't know about everyone else, but I have heard for years that the entire state of California was going to be wiped off the map.
Things we have no control over, such as tornadoes, volcano eruptions, hurricanes and earthquakes are all over.
I read the story on Mount Saint Helens in Washington and when it was "fixing to blow"...a geologist tried to warn people, but some wouldn't listen.
Let's hope nothing as huge as the article regarding California happens!

Wade8813

Registered Member
And some may wonder why California is bankrupt.

As if there aren't enough real problems currently facing them, they have the resources to imagine, model, study, plan for, have conferences, issue press releases, make recommendations, and give interviews about an event that could possibly but may never occur on our lifetimes.

I read this article a few days ago and just shook my head. One thing is for sure: Chicken Little Lives!
On the other hand, if it occurred and nobody did anything to warn the people or to prepare, there would be immense outrage, and rightly so.

Millz

Better Call Saul
Staff member
V.I.P.
I don't think there's anything wrong with planning ahead in case something of this nature happens. Granted there may not be anything reasonable we can do but maybe if something saves a couple hundreds lives it's worth it.

If the super volcano blows in Wyoming then that's just gonna destroy everything in its path but the super storm there may be things we can do to save some lives. Planning for the future is important.

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
Yeah, I don't see how research and planning can ever be such a bad thing for something like this. So it may never happen in our lifetime. But it could. Why not be organized and ready for it to potentially save hundreds of thousands of lives?

SmilinSilhouette

Registered Member
Oh, I see your point. Do you see mine?

We have no control of weather, this is completely theoretical, and there are many more pressing issues at this moment in California. I'm just saying that this seems like a waste of time and money at this point when this type of investment of time, money, and effort would be better spent on real issues that are much more important at this time. Plus I'm not a "worrier", most of the bad things we imagine never come to pass. So in my opinion things that are more urgent and we can have a significant impact upon are much more worthy of our attention. That's all.

icegoat63

Son of Liberty
V.I.P.
Simply put to say "It wont ever happen in our lifetime" is vastly inaccurate for we Residents of the State.

It may never happen in you're lifetime... but California Residents deal with Earthquakes yearly... depending on how close you live to the Fault line, even monthly. We live with the fear that the "Big Ones" will hit no matter what... its just a question of when?

As far as this "Super Storm" is concerned... I would normally just chalk it up to the same thing you did, "The Sky is Falling!"

Except they've shown Geological Routine based periodical storm history dating back 2,000+ years with a window of merely 5% flux in the time of impact. I usually dont have much respect for the Government Research, however I do have respect for Geologists because I trust History and the Patterns the Earth.