• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Wii U Super Smash Bros Wii U

dDave

V.I.P.
Rosalina Announced for Super Smash Bros Wii U, 3DS - IGN

As of this morning, Nintendo has announced Rosalina as a playable character in the upcoming Super Smash Bros games.

If there's any franchise that has shown it can really sell consoles, this is it. Super Smash Bros is enough of a reason for many people to go out and buy this console, I will definitely be getting this game. (it remains to be seen if I'm going to get it for 3ds, might be too uncomfortable for me)

So far there are 19 confirmed characters including...

Mario
Link
Donkey Kong
Pikachu
Kirby
Samus
Bowser
Pit
Rosalina & Luma
Mega Man
Wii Fit Trainer
Villager
Toon Link
Fox
Pikmin & Olimar
Luigi
Peach
Sonic
Marth

Now, obviously there's a lot more characters than that, Nintendo just likes to be secretive about it to boost the hype. There are a lot more than 19 characters that we're going to be seeing in this game. Nintendo has traditionally made the roster larger with each title, introduced new items, new levels, and refined the gameplay.

I find certain aspects of Brawl to be very unbalanced, it's still an amazing party game though. It's my hope that Nintendo recognizes what's wrong with Brawl and changes it to make the game as balanced as possible, I'd also like to see patch support for the game so Nintendo can make it more balanced after release.

What do you guys think of this game?

Taliesin

Registered Member
I'm getting it, and it will be my first ever Super Smash Bros game. It just looks so much fun, and I'm a huge fan of the revealed roster of characters so far. What's not to love?

dDave

V.I.P.
I'm getting it, and it will be my first ever Super Smash Bros game. It just looks so much fun, and I'm a huge fan of the revealed roster of characters so far. What's not to love?
I think that you should forget about waiting for this game and go out to buy Melee or Brawl today, both are excellent titles that are well worth your time. Melee is my personal favorite Smash Bros game.

It'll also benefit you a lot for when the U game does come out because you'll be familiar with the series and the way the games work. Lots of people call these games button mashers, and I think legitimately so. There are those of us that really get into advanced gameplay mechanics and it becomes a lot more than a button masher.

I have had every game in the Smash Bros series, they are a lot of fun, the fundamental gameplay mechanics really haven't changed much though.

Crouton

Ninja
V.I.P.
Hopefully this game will improve WiiU sales like many people thought that the latest Super Mario would.

dDave

V.I.P.
Hopefully this game will improve WiiU sales like many people thought that the latest Super Mario would.
Yeah, let's hope so! Anything that will make the Wii U popular.

Will you be getting smash Crou? Have you played Smash before?

From what I understand the two versions of the game will basically be identical but they will not be cross-platform compatible. I think you'll be able to track achievements and unlockables (such as stages and characters) between both copies of the game (if you happen to have both) but you won't be able to play cross-platform, big difference there. Maybe I'll be similar to Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate or maybe it will be done through the Nintendo Network. Nintendo has been sort of quiet about that particular aspect of the game.

Turbo

Registered Member
I haven't played the last one in a long time. Plus I got rid of my Wii so I'd be starting over with unlocking characters if I revisit it on my WiiU.

I watched the Rosalina & Luma video the other night. If her controls are easy she could easily be very abusive with online play, like Metaknight was. Plus a mirror mode where Luma copies Rosalina's moves is just crazy. Potential the first character to be considered to ban in competitive play.

dDave

V.I.P.
Lots of big news on this game today.

Super Smash Bros. 3DS, Wii U Release Windows Revealed - IGN

The 3DS version of the game will come out in Q3 while the Wii U version (which is undoubtedly going to be the preferred way to play the game) comes out this Winter.

Now, I may bite and get the 3DS version of the game but there is no chance I'm going to miss out on the Wii U version of the game. Unfortunately, the Wii U version is going to cost me. I need to get 3 more pro controllers AND a copy of the game to make it worthwhile. Of course, I'm probably going to get more controllers to get the new Mario Kart anyway so it may not hurt all that much. I refuse to use the gamepad for 4 player games, the worth of that controller is with the uniqueness of the screen and I feel that it's wasted on party style games (I don't want to wear it out, they're very expensive to replace :lol:)

dDave

V.I.P.
It looks as if the roster may have been leaked, sort of.

RUMOR: Smash Bros. Character Select Screen Leaked, 50 Playable Characters

We've had over 20 characters officially announced but if you've been following Smash Bros since the beginning then you know one basic truth is that they always go bigger and better with each installment.

Characters in every Smash game...

-Captain Falcon
-Donkey Kong
-Fox
-Jigglypuff
-Kirby
-Link
-Luigi
-Mario
-Ness
-Samus
-Yoshi

Now, Ness, Jigglypuff, and Captain Falcon have not been confirmed but I'd be truly shocked if they didn't make it into the game.

Additionally, there are characters that appeared in both Melee and Brawl that are not confirmed for the new game. These characters include...

-Falco
-Ganondorf
-Ice Climbers
-Mr Game and Watch

I would be pleased if they dropped Mr Game and Watch (I think he's terribly cheap, hard to see, and not fun to play as or play against). I can't imagine the game without the other three characters, they're all great in their own ways and they're all fan favorites.

Anyway, by the numbers...
Super Smash Bros 64 - 12 characters
Super Smash Bros Melee - 26 characters
Super Smash Bros Brawl - 39 characters
Super Smash Bros U - 30 confirmed (the sheet hints at there being 54 characters)

Taliesin

Registered Member
Wow. 54 would be a massive number for a game like this, wouldn't it? I could have fun with that, especially as this will be my first Smash Bros title! More and more I'm realising this will be the perfect jumping on point.

dDave

V.I.P.
Wow. 54 would be a massive number for a game like this, wouldn't it? I could have fun with that, especially as this will be my first Smash Bros title! More and more I'm realising this will be the perfect jumping on point.
I jumped onto the train at Super Smash Bros Melee, played it a ton and then got Brawl when it came out. Something like 4 or 5 years ago I also picked up original Super Smash Bros though I had actually played it many times before.

You will have to let me know what you think of the series once you're into this new game and possibly go for some of the older titles just to draw comparison (I can confirm that the older games are still super fun today even though Brawl is the most updated game, that's not about to change with this new game coming out). What I love about Smash is that at the heart it has not changed, it has only improved for the most part. I think it's the most fun game to play with my friends locally. (depending on the group Mario Kart 64 can also be very high on that list)