Wii Super Mario Galaxy Rated "M" for Mature!

Discussion in 'Video Games' started by Mirage, Nov 13, 2007.

1. Mirage

Mirage Administrator Staff Member V.I.P.

So I was at GameStop the other day and decided to pay $5 to reserve a copy of Super Mario Galaxy. I don't have a Wii personally, but I was thinking at the very least I might buy one for this game, either that or maybe use Mario Galaxy as a prize in our current contest perhaps. (Ended up finding other things instead.)

Anyway, I just got an automated phone call from GameStop that went something like this:

Something like that.

So, yes everybody. Super Mario Galaxy is not for the kids! It's the first "M" ratet Mario game EVER! It has blood, gore, language, and yes, adult themes. It's not what we expected at all and could very well be the end of the kiddy Mario games that we all have grown to know and love.

:nervous:

But seriously, it TOTALLY caught me offguard when I heard the message say "mature". I was like... ummmm............. somebody might get chewed out over that. I wonder if any parents will be worried that they just pre-ordered a "M" title for their 5 year old.

2. dDave

dDave Guardian of the Light V.I.P.

Wow, Super Mario 64 was Kids to adults, Sunshine was Everyone, and now this? are you serious? I can't imagine playing a violent mario game mario and violence just do not go together. But I really doubt that this will effect sales at all, mario is still mario.

Was it rated by ESRB?

It kind of makes you wonder what Super Smash Bros. Brawl will be like...

3. Teorropy

Teorropy Registered User

Wow that would surprise me, a Mario game rated "M" for mature. I never thought that day would come.

4. Van

Van Heavy Weapons Guy V.I.P.

Hmm. One would think it would be a mistake. But come to think of it, Halo was mature wasn't it? Plenty of little kids played that one.

5. Psyco

Psyco Food Whore

Its rated E, not M.... either you're screwing with us Andrew, or they messed up somewhere.

6. Mirage

Did you guys read my spoiler text? Of course this was a mistake. That's what's so funny about it though. I mean come on, Mario Galaxy rated M for mature? :lol:

Somebody definitely messed up big time!

7. Major

Major 4 legs good 2 legs bad V.I.P.

It's obviously a mistake on Gamestop's part. The game is rated "E" for Everyone. I can't imagine a Mario game will ever get a different rating, and I wouldn't want it to. I think Zelda, on the other hand, could benefit from a more mature game. I think Twilight Princess was the first one rated "T". I'm pretty sure we'll never see an "M" rated Zelda game (or any Nintendo game), but I think it could take the series to a whole new level.

8. Mirage

In the new Mario Galaxy game, when Mario jumps on a Goomba you hear a loud scream as blood splatters everywhere and remains on the camera's view for a few seconds. :D

You have to watch out for the turtle shells now too. When they hit enemies (or Mario) they slice through and leave two halves. This game is definitely not for the kids anymore. :)

If Mario gets lit on fire, he burns to a crisp and his skeleton is partially visible, depending on the length of the fire. Note to self, get burnt at least once to check that out!

This time around, fighting Bowser is more like a scene out of Lord of the Rings. Mario beats Bowser by first stabbing him through the heart, and then severing his head. Again, kids might need to play with their eyes closed this time around.

And you don't even want to know what happens if a bomb goes of near Mario. Team Fortress 2 anybody? :D

Last but not least, there is alternate ending video where Mario finally gets what he has been after all along. Why he gets a nice warm cup of tea.. What else were you thinking I was talking about? Sheesh, this is a kids game afterall...

YES PEOPLE, MARIO IS RATED "E" FOR EVERYONE! GameStop just made a trivial error when setting up their automatic phone call messaging system. An error that caused me to make this thread without fail. :)

9. Psyco

Psyco Food Whore

He gets a cup of coffee at the end, not tea. If you got the one with Tea, you haven't beaten it completely.

10. red_ranger

red_ranger Registered Member

Mario is still kicking up the Industry of gaming...
    I used to play this way back when I was still 8 years old in Family Computer..