• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Nintendo Super Mario 64, Sunshine, and Galaxy Porting to Switch in 2020

Mirage

Secret Agent
Staff member
V.I.P.
Kind of some big news if you're a Nintendo fan, particularly of the Super Mario Bros. franchise.

Nintendo is porting over remastered versions of many of these games to the Switch later this year.

Games to be ported include:

-Super Mario 64 (Nintendo 64)
-Super Mario Sunshine (Gamecube)
-Super Mario Galaxy (Wii)
-Super Mario 3D World DELUXE (Wii U)
-a NEW Paper Mario game never before released

I'd be pretty interested in checking out the new Super Mario 64. I wonder if it will be a true port of the original though, or if it will be a port of the DS version, which had some improvements.

Doc

Trust me, I'm The Doctor.
V.I.P.
I CAN'T WAT to get SM64 on my Switch. The kids are going to love that game so much. 3D World sounds like it's worth a pickup, too. I've never played Sunshine or Galaxy but I've heard great things.

I'm all in for SM64, though. It's on my wishlist.

Mirage

Secret Agent
Staff member
V.I.P.
I'm all in for SM64, though. It's on my wishlist.
Did you ever play the DS port? I liked it better but found the controls to be more limiting.

Doc

Trust me, I'm The Doctor.
V.I.P.
No, I didn't. I'm not a fan of the controls on most DS games. I have a couple of Pokemon games I haven't even played yet for that reason. And time. Kids take so much time away from video games!

Mirage

Secret Agent
Staff member
V.I.P.
@Doc, the nice thing about Mario 64 DS was that you could play as several characters, not just Mario. You had to unlock them and they each had slight pros and cons when compared with each other. It had more of a Donkey Kong 64 feel while sticking to the core gameplay of Mario 64.

Reactions: Doc

dDave

V.I.P.
Did you ever play the DS port? I liked it better but found the controls to be more limiting.
The controls were much betting when using a 3DS since it worked properly with the circle pad. Same game card, compatible on a newer platform.

As for the Switch Mario collection...

I will be getting this. I've been wanting an HD port of Sunshine and Galaxy for a VERY long time. High graphical fidelity will do both of those games a lot of good.

I actually like and prefer the look and feel of Mario 64 on the 64 but I'm still willing to try it out.

As for Super Mario 3D World. The game was an absolute masterpiece and amazingly fun. The most creative (artistically and game design) Mario game made this century in my opinion. Not that there weren't lots of other really creative titles.