• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Wii U Super Mario 3D World

dDave

V.I.P.
Super Mario World is generally considered to be one of the all time greatest Nintendo games. Imagine if that was reimagined today.

Check out this game...

Wii U - Super Mario 3D World Gameplay Trailer - YouTube

Super Mario 3D World. If not for the link to the SNES classic then I would have a serious problem with the title of the game.

The game has a striking comparison to Super Mario World while at the same time being a very different game. It maintains the same style of a transforming free movement overworld, very unique. It's a great classic that was redone in a fashion that doesn't look all that familiar to me, it's exciting and new. There's a also a bit of old in here if you compare the game to Super Mario Bros 2. This includes characters, items, abilities, and powerups available in the game.

The game is similar to Super Mario 3D Land (For 3DS) but does not make use of stereoscopic 3D perspective as far as I can tell.

Nintendo seems to be taking Mario in a very exciting direction and I'm kind of excited to see how this game actually plays. It would appear to be the last major game we're going to get for the Wii U in 2013.

Last edited:

Taliesin

Registered Member
This is on my Christmas list, and I'm getting it for the multiplayer aspect. It looks like it'll have the same crazy free-for-all ethic of the recent New Super Mario Bros. Wii and U outings, so I'm down for more of that!

dDave

V.I.P.
An update on this game.

6 Things We Learned About the Making of Super Mario 3D World - IGN

Looks like it will be launching the same day as the XBOX One, no idea what that means. This game is likely to be one of the better games for the console. Nintendo hasn't really put a focus on what the game is but rather how the game plays (something they've really been known for since the launch of the Wii), I don't necessarily agree with this but then again it's Mario so nobody cares what the game is about.

Games like this are great but I think Nintendo is going to need a bit more firepower to compete with the PS4 and ONE. That's where we get to 2014 where all of the amazing games for this console will be released, that's something to be excited for.

Taliesin

Registered Member
I hear what you're saying. If Nintendo wants to win the hardcore back (which is still a stupid and pretentious name for a segment of the videogaming crowd if you ask me) then they're going to need to put out other titles alongside all the Marios and Zeldas and whatnot.

I'd be very interested to see how the likes of Bayonetta 2, the new X game, and Watch Dogs fare on the Wii U. I, of course, am hoping that they do very well. Still, I can't wait to get my hands on Super Mario 3D World. I think there's a strong chance that I'll adore the hell out of it.

dDave

V.I.P.
Another pre-release review of the game.
Super Mario 3D World's Bottomless Bag of Tricks - IGN Game Previews - IGN Video

This one focuses on the fact that the design is so creative and the art direction is so good that this game really is going to be awesome. The art is one of the things about Super Mario Galaxy that I absolutely loved from start to finish, the entire game is just beautiful, it didn't even really matter where you were, it looks like Nintendo accomplishes this again in Super Mario 3D World.

One thing I'll eventually want to do with this game is play it with 4 players at once, unfortunately between the Gamepad and Pro Controller, I only have two controllers and there's no chance I'm willing to drop $100 on controllers right now. Two will have to suffice for now.

dDave

V.I.P.
IGN gave this game a 9.6, that's almost as high as Super Mario 64 (which got a 9.8) and it's right up there with Super Mario Galaxy (which got a 9.7). I'm going to get this game either tomorrow or sometime next week (depending on if I can find the time). I'm really crunched with a bunch of deadlines coming up before Thanksgiving. It's killing me that there's finally a new awesome game for Wii U and I can't find the time to play it.

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
I'm not saying the game isn't great, but sometimes you have to take IGN's ratings with a grain of salt. They gave Super Mario Sunshine a 9.4 (Amazing!) rating.

dDave

V.I.P.
Oh, I know. Super Mario Sunshine's problem is that it tried to do a story and did it poorly, they also had terrible voice acting. Conceptually the game is fine I guess but it's all in the execution. IGN even notes the many shortcomings in the game and somehow manages to ding only 0.6 points.

IGN is the source that I check regularly for gaming stuff, I always check reviews across multiple sources before I go out and purchase a game though. Here's Gamespot's review, Super Mario 3D World Review - GameSpot, they gave it a 9 "superb" rating. They had nothing to list under the negatives category.

I kind of wish this game was full open world 3D but I realize that wouldn't work with 4 players and they were trying to sort of pay tribute to the original SNES game.

This is probably going to be the best Mario game for Wii U.

Shooting_Palanx

The Rock is cooking atm..
Such a huge of fan of Mario games, since I was a toddler when my mum bought me Super Mario bros 3 for christmas for the NES :) It looks spell bindingly excellent! And seems to have rejuvenated more life into this franchise! I would definitely get it, once I get my hands on a Wii U!

dDave

V.I.P.
Such a huge of fan of Mario games, since I was a toddler when my mum bought me Super Mario bros 3 for christmas for the NES :) It looks spell bindingly excellent! And seems to have rejuvenated more life into this franchise! I would definitely get it, once I get my hands on a Wii U!
I like Super Mario Bros 3 but I don't adore the game like a lot of people do. Super Mario 64 was my first real exposure to Mario, I really love it (especially the DS remake).

This game definitely does look like it's rejuvenated the series just a bit. While I like Super Mario Bros Wii, the concept is a bit simple and even with the new powerups there's still a lot that feels the same and repetitive, especially when compared to Super Mario Bros Wii.

This game is bursting with creativity to the point that I don't think it will ever feel repetitive or get old.