Suns, Heat agree to Shaq trade

Discussion in 'NBA' started by Vegito728, Feb 6, 2008.

1. Vegito728

Vegito728 Registered Member

"No longer confident they can win a championship with their current roster, the Phoenix Suns are close to completing a blockbuster trade that will bring them Shaquille O'Neal, a source with knowledge of the negotiations said Tuesday."

"O'Neal is scheduled to travel to Phoenix aboard a private plane Wednesday, the source said, to undergo an MRI on his ailing left hip. If he passes the physical, the Suns will complete the trade by sending Shawn Marion and Marcus Banks to the Miami Heat."

"The Miami Herald first reported the Suns and Heat were in serious trade discussions involving O'Neal."

"Frustrated by Miami's dramatic dropoff this season – the Heat own the NBA's worst record at 9-37 – O'Neal had begun telling teammates he wanted to be traded but never thought a deal would come to fruition, a Heat source said."

"The trade represents a dramatic change for the Suns, whose run-and-gun, small-ball style had revolutionized the league in recent seasons. That same style, however, had failed to bring the Suns a championship, and team officials had become increasingly skeptical about their chances of contending without giving Amare Stoudemire some help on the front line."

"While praising recent improvement in Stoudemire's defense last week, Suns general manager Steve Kerr said the team still was doing Stoudemire a "disservice" by playing him at center instead of his more natural power forward position."

"While last week's loss to a San Antonio team that was missing Tony Parker again raised some doubts, it was the Lakers' acquisition of Memphis forward Pau Gasol on Friday that ultimately spurred the Suns to consider aggressively looking for another big man. League sources said the Suns also had conversations about Charlotte's Emeka Okafor and Philadelphia's Samuel Dalembert in recent days."

"O'Neal, 35, still is a physical presence but seems a poor fit for Mike D'Antoni's up-tempo offense. Suns coaches, however, watched film of O'Neal on Tuesday, the source said, and came away thinking O'Neal's strong passing skills from the high post would work well in their half-court schemes. The Suns also have shown increasingly more confidence in playing forward Boris Diaw next to Stoudemire and think that combination will suffice when O'Neal isn't on the floor." Source: Yahoo: Suns, Heat agree to Shaq trade - NBA - Yahoo! Sports

All I got to say is WTF Phoniex. Shaq WAS a great player. He has been hurt most of the year and when he has played he hasn't played good. Miami in my opinion got a great deal. Marion has been playing very well this year and Marcus Banks is really just a nice little throw in.

Also, I didn't know exactly where to post this so I just posted it here.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2008

2. Celtic Fan

Celtic Fan New Member

well this is Kerr basically admitting that the run and gun Suns don't have what it takes to win a championship. They can't beat the Spurs because the Spurs kill the fast break, The Mavs have the horses to run with them and the Lakers have improved drastically without giving anyone of consequence up to do so.
    Ideally they now have someone who has to be double teamed in the post, effectively clogs the lane on D and can help with defensive Boards in the post season. The Suns will drop some W's during the regular season but will be in better shape for the playoffs and are loaded with 3 point shooters if Shaq can muster up the energy to be good (not great) for the playoffs.

3. Babe_Ruth

Babe_Ruth Sultan of Swat Staff Member V.I.P.

This is a huge trade if it happens. Shaq if healthy can help the Suns in a big way, you move Stoudamire to the four spot, and then Shaq comes in at the five spot, and now you have a legitimit center on your roster. If the Suns stay healthy, especially Shaq they can make a huge playoff run. Both teams win in this trade in my opinion.

4. Vegito728

Well I think the Heat got a great deal. The Suns are taking a risk. But really the only question is can Shaq stay healthy? This is a huge question because if he can this team will be dominant(even more then they're now). But if he doesn't then it'll be a bust for them and a bad one at that.

5. Babe_Ruth

Well it's official O'neal is gone to the Suns. This is a huge trade, never expected the Suns to trade for O'neal, but in my opinion this is a good trade for the Suns, they needed a Center, and even though Shaq isn't his dominant self anymore, he can still help this Suns team. The only thing is can Shaq stay healthy. If he can then this team will be very dangerous and can make a lot of noise in the playoffs.

The Heat get a good player in Marion, and him and Dwyane Wade could make some noise as well, in the long run this trade is better for the Het, but has of right now the Suns win this trade. Should be interesting to see what happens for both teams.

6. Veloci-T

Veloci-T Registered Member

IMO, the Suns got totally ripped off, the man cant even play good ball anymore and he is injure prone. Marion could do almost everything better than Shaq, Shaq's days are over and he is no longer that Orlando, Laker or 05-06 Shaquille O'Neal. Id rather have Marion and Banks than an old, overweight, has-been

7. Major

Major 4 legs good 2 legs bad V.I.P.

Yeah, I don't really understand this trade at all from a Suns perspective. They have the best record in the Western Conference right now. Why would you trade one of your best players for an aging center who has lost his dominance and hasn't been healthy in a couple years. The Suns screwed themselves, in my opinion. They have less of a shot at winning a championship now than they did before the trade.

8. Babe_Ruth

The Suns has pretty much the same line up for the last three years, they've been contenders for the Championship but always seem to lose to a team before reaching the NBA Finals, the only think they were missing was a dominant center, and they get that with Shaq. Grant it he's not the same player he once was but he'll still help them if healthy. Him and Stoudamire will be able to stop players like Tim Duncan and Dirk if they play them come playoff time.

Also Marion has been asking for a trade since the beggining of the season, so him leaving the Suns isn't that much of a surprise to me.

9. Vegito728

From what I hear Marion would have opted out of his contract at the end of the year. So they probably wanted to get something for him instead of just letting him go.

10. Veloci-T

Veloci-T Registered Member

MJ...Shaq is not a dominant Center anymore, Shaq cant play aggressive D anymore, Shaq can't pull down alot of rebounds anymore, he cant do anything on the court anymore