Sundin signs 1 year with leafs

Discussion in 'Hockey' started by Slimpy, Jun 12, 2007.

1. Slimpy

Slimpy Guest

John Ferguson, vice-president and general manager of the Toronto Maple Leafs, announced Tuesday that the team has signed captain Mats Sundin[​IMG] to a new one year contract.
    “We are extremely proud to have Mats continue as captain of the Toronto Maple Leafs,” said Ferguson. “Not only has he been one of the greatest players in our franchise history, but his exemplary leadership on and off the ice has been all that any organization could want from a team captain.

2. andrew_bishop

andrew_bishop #1 Spammer of FC

'Bout time. The Leafs need this guy to really be a contender. As long as he is the guy that leads the team on the ice as well as off it the Leafs will be fine and have a chance to make some histroy for themselves. He's a good guy to have to start off with in the free agent market and lets see who else can go.

3. Babe_Ruth

Babe_Ruth Sultan of Swat Staff Member V.I.P.

This was the best move they could of made, Sundin is Mr Maple Leaf and yes he did struggle a bit last season, and he doesn't have the same scoring ability that he once had but he's still a pure scorer, he's a great teamate and great captain. The Leafs made the right decision on re-signing him.

4. andrew_bishop

The Leafs need a leader and might as well go with one of the best around. He had a scoring touch and still does but not as much as at one time. If he can find it again fully this year then the Leafs can give a huge run I think.

5. Slimpy

Slimpy Guest

Most people thaught that they shouldn't re-sign him because he didn't score in the last 22 games of the season but he did have over 25 points in that span. Hes a great leader, hes the heart and soul of this team and letting him go would be the worst thing that the leafs could do. probs to fergusson to get this deal done.

6. andrew_bishop

I just know a lot of people will frown about the idea of 5.5 Mill over one year however. But hell the Leafs can pay it out and why pay it to a guy that they know little about when they can give it to a guy that flat out deserves it. Sundin has had a long and hard career and he deserves the respect of the media and the Leafs organization and I think thats what this deal has shown.

7. StroShow

StroShow The return shall be legenday! V.I.P. Lifetime

Good move by John Ferguson Jr. They had no choice to re-sign him. He's been the heart and soul for the Maple Leafs for over 10 years now you can't just throw him in the gutter because of people's opinions from his performance during the last 2 months of the season. Like Slimpsy said he didn't score in like 22 games but he did tallied 25 points during that time, which is good considiring he plays with bums likes Ponikarovsky and Antropov. If he had better wingers he'd have a way better season. They need to find good players to play with him on the first line.

8. Jeanie

Jeanie still nobody's bitch V.I.P. Lifetime

Antropov a bum, you sound like Don Cherry lmao.

They also need to find a consistent goalie.

9. andrew_bishop

Well I think before they make any move for a goalie they NEED wingers to help on the top line. No offence to Antropov or Pon.. Yeah im not gonna attempt his name but you know who im talking about , Well anyway no offence to them but they are not top line material right now. They are strong and big players that are really talented and are the future stars for the Leafs but right now the Leafs need to real in a top winger to help on the top line. There were actually rumors about them being in the Paul Kariya market.

10. Slimpy

Slimpy Guest

Antropov and Ponikarovsky are talented players, but their not good enough to be Sundin's wingers. They need someone off the market, like smyth or Kariya. Maybe even Gomez, get him to play right wing. For years now everyone has said that they need a winger for Sundin, hopefully this off season, Fergusson can finally bring someone in that can really help this club.