• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Sunday Lunch

Double-R

Registered Member
Hmm...Sunday lunch...

You know what? Come to think of it, I don't think I've ever had a traditional Sunday lunch in a very long time but when i was little, it would always be eggs, bacon or sausage, toasted white bread or a bagel, with a cup of orange juice.

Fast forward a few years and its pretty much boiled down to a sandwich and a cup of coffee or OJ for lunch so, no longer traditional. lol

idisrsly

I'm serious
V.I.P.
Make some Yorkshire puddings!! they are so easy,, its only flour, eggs and milk:Dheres a tip for good ones,, use a mug (well 3 of the same size if you have them) Put the same amount of eggs, milk and flour in each mug and then tip flour into a bowl add eggs and milk and mix to a batter, put in bun tins (with a little hot oil in them)a hot oven for about 20 mins or until risen and golden brown:)

Thanks Saffy. I will try it. I'm sure I will fail, but I will try. Got any good recipes for gravy? :D Yorkshire pud is nothing without a good gravy, amirite?

kitchendame

Registered Member
When my Nan and mom were alive we had Sunday dinner every week, and it was nearly always roast with potatoes, a veg of some sort, a salad and gravy and about once a month Nan would make the most amazing Yorkshire pudding. Hers wasn't the high, puffy individual ones I make. Hers was almost a cake, and she would drizzle half the roast drippings over it after she baked it--the other half would go to gravy. Dessert was never extravagant; perhaps some ice cream or fruit crumble, now and then a pie or cake (always home made).

After they passed away the family kinda scattered. Us four youngest always stayed close, though, and 5 or 6 years ago three of us went in on the purchase of a huge house that contained a main part plus three 2-bedroom suites. Since then my twin sister, her hubby and I, and sometimes my brothers and their wives, will join in. Tonight it's just my twin and her hubby and me, and we're not really having a roast at all--in fact, you might call it an extravagant antipasti, with several meats and cheeses, breads, olives, fruits and a glass or wine (or two). We'll finish off with home-made strawberry-rhubarb pie topped with whipped cream.

Then I'll have to curtail my eating habits until next Sunday, when we'll have a prime rib roast with Yorkshire pudding and all the trimmings.

EllyDicious

made of AMBIGUITY
V.I.P.
Any Sunday lunch is boring (just like the whole Sunday itself) because we have fish and salads and nothing more.
So I don't bother to care about this day at all.

Saffy

Registered Member
Hmm...Sunday lunch...

You know what? Come to think of it, I don't think I've ever had a traditional Sunday lunch in a very long time but when i was little, it would always be eggs, bacon or sausage, toasted white bread or a bagel, with a cup of orange juice.

Fast forward a few years and its pretty much boiled down to a sandwich and a cup of coffee or OJ for lunch so, no longer traditional. lol
hmmm that sounds like our typical breakfast:lol:

Thanks Saffy. I will try it. I'm sure I will fail, but I will try. Got any good recipes for gravy? :D Yorkshire pud is nothing without a good gravy, amirite?
you cant fail with the cup method;) gravy is basically using the juices and fat from the meat, straight on to the oven top and heat adding a little flour ,, add stock (you can just use a stock cube added to some hot water) you can season to taste really ,, a bit of pepper,, or maybe a bit mustard,, trial and error ,, you can use cornflour added to a little water to thicken if needed. I normally have garvy granules for a quick gravy if needed or if i am being lazy,, but i still add the meat juices to it:lol:eek:r add a bit gravy granules to your home made gravy to thicken if needed. :) Also ,,, google!!! lots of proper recipes there
When my Nan and mom were alive we had Sunday dinner every week, and it was nearly always roast with potatoes, a veg of some sort, a salad and gravy and about once a month Nan would make the most amazing Yorkshire pudding. Hers wasn't the high, puffy individual ones I make. Hers was almost a cake, and she would drizzle half the roast drippings over it after she baked it--the other half would go to gravy. Dessert was never extravagant; perhaps some ice cream or fruit crumble, now and then a pie or cake (always home made).

After they passed away the family kinda scattered. Us four youngest always stayed close, though, and 5 or 6 years ago three of us went in on the purchase of a huge house that contained a main part plus three 2-bedroom suites. Since then my twin sister, her hubby and I, and sometimes my brothers and their wives, will join in. Tonight it's just my twin and her hubby and me, and we're not really having a roast at all--in fact, you might call it an extravagant antipasti, with several meats and cheeses, breads, olives, fruits and a glass or wine (or two). We'll finish off with home-made strawberry-rhubarb pie topped with whipped cream.

Then I'll have to curtail my eating habits until next Sunday, when we'll have a prime rib roast with Yorkshire pudding and all the trimmings.
never heard of having salad with meat and veg and gravy before!:shocked::lol: I love rhubarb:D

Any Sunday lunch is boring (just like the whole Sunday itself) because we have fish and salads and nothing more.
So I don't bother to care about this day at all.
ah shame ,, i love Sundays:D

had a gorgeous massive yummy meal at te carvery:DI chose Pork and Beef for my meat ,, and was glad my fave roast Parsnips, and mashed turnip were among the choice of veggies..i squeezed in a yummy bramley apple crumble and custard for dessert:D

kitchendame

Registered Member
Saffy--We always had a crisp green salad on our plates along with dinner; it was mixed with tomato and onion and cucumber, and Nan would toss it with Miracle Whip. I hated the taste of MW as a child, so I remember I would douse it with gravy to kill the Miracle Whip taste. I discovered that that particular combination was delicious! To this day, now and then I will toss my salad with MW so I can put gravy on it alongside my roast beef dinner.

Saffy

Registered Member
Saffy--We always had a crisp green salad on our plates along with dinner; it was mixed with tomato and onion and cucumber, and Nan would toss it with Miracle Whip. I hated the taste of MW as a child, so I remember I would douse it with gravy to kill the Miracle Whip taste. I discovered that that particular combination was delicious! To this day, now and then I will toss my salad with MW so I can put gravy on it alongside my roast beef dinner.
i love salad ,, but i dont think i would like it with gravy on:lol: funny how different countries eat innit:D

kitchendame

Registered Member
It certainly is; of course, dousing salad with gravy to kill the Miracle Whip Dressing taste may only have been weirdness in my family...

Nixola

Boom Boom Pow!
A Sunday roast is a done thing in my family. We always have a roast on a sunday and I always look forward to it.
We usually eat between 12.30pm and 4pm depending on what's going on in the day. It can vary from roast beef to chicken or sometimes pork, we don't usually have lamb, and we usually have all the usual trimmings, roast potatoes, carrots, gravy etc..

Saffy

Registered Member
It certainly is; of course, dousing salad with gravy to kill the Miracle Whip Dressing taste may only have been weirdness in my family...
:lol::lol:

A Sunday roast is a done thing in my family. We always have a roast on a sunday and I always look forward to it.
We usually eat between 12.30pm and 4pm depending on what's going on in the day. It can vary from roast beef to chicken or sometimes pork, we don't usually have lamb, and we usually have all the usual trimmings, roast potatoes, carrots, gravy etc..
mmm great innit:D we only have lamb once in a blue moon really... but we do sometimes have lamb steaks an odd time through the week and then i normally do some roast veg with them ,,, yummy:D