Sunday Lunch

Discussion in 'Food & Beverage' started by Saffy, Sep 18, 2010.

1. Saffy

Saffy Registered Member

Do you have a traditional Sunday Lunch?
    here in England, especially the north where i am , we have a roast dinner on a Sunday. It varies a lot now at what time, years ago it was always lunchtinme any time between 12 noon and 2.30 pm, but now some people still have a Sunday Lunch but dont eat till later in the evening. Some dont bother at all anymore, or just do it occasionally. I almost always do a Sunday Lunch every week and usually my daughter and her boyfriend come over, sometimes my son and his girlfriend too. We eat at about 2 pm and its normally roast Chicken and sometimes, Beef, Pork or Lamb:) The meat is roasted in the oven and with it we have various vegetables, roast potato's, Yorkshire puds and gravy:D
    [​IMG]

This wek however my hubby is treating us all to a carvery meal at a Pub nearby:D Carvery is where you go up to the counter where they cut and serve your meat to you, usually a choice of 2 or 3 meats and you can have one or a bit of each,, then the rest ,, veg, yorkshires, potatoes etc is there for you to help yourself to. You may go back and have as much veggies as you like:D
    [​IMG]

2. Bliss

Bliss Sally Twit

We go to my parents every Sunday for Sunday dinner. We always have chicken with all the trimmings - roast potatoes, Yorkshire pudding, mash, lots of veg and gravy. My mum cooks everything herself and it's my favourite dinner of the week. She makes amazing Yorkshire pudding.
    ------
    Oh and we always eat it at 2pm and never eat anything else for the rest of the day lol.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2010
  3. idisrsly

idisrsly I'm serious V.I.P. Lifetime

Sunday lunch is very similar here than it is in the UK, less one thing. One very important thing. The one thing that makes me want to cry when I think about how much I miss it. Yorkshire pudding.

The hotel I worked in in Weybridge also made the best Yorkshire pudding I've tasted and working there allowed me to eat there every Sunday. I miss those lunches.

But, that is there and I am here, so what can you do. I have lunch with my parents every Sunday at 1pm. And typically, we also don't eat after that again. It's not always roast, sometimes it's more bbq style meat, but it's always a special meal. Lamb roast is most popular for Sunday lunch here.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2010
  4. Oooh_snap

Oooh_snap Living on the 0th floor V.I.P. Lifetime

There is never a dinner or a lunch that I do regularly let alone on Sundays. I typically have work 7 days a weeks, so I cook ad lib to my schedule. There has never been a tradition in my family to have get togethers or cook anything special on Sundays. Having a tradition such as that would be nice though!

5. Saffy

Saffy Registered Member

Make some Yorkshire puddings!! they are so easy,, its only flour, eggs and milk:Dheres a tip for good ones,, use a mug (well 3 of the same size if you have them) Put the same amount of eggs, milk and flour in each mug and then tip flour into a bowl add eggs and milk and mix to a batter, put in bun tins (with a little hot oil in them)a hot oven for about 20 mins or until risen and golden brown:)

[​IMG]
    oh ,, hard luck having to work so much:( there was a time for a while i was mostly out on a Sunday, so then i used to make sure we had a roast dinner one day through the week,, :D

6. Impact

Impact Registered Member V.I.P. Lifetime

I do love me a Sunday roast, unfortunately it's never a regular thing. And it's done at night, not lunch time. Like Idi, there is one very different thing that I never do, and that's Yorkshire Puds. I love them though, and always used to have them when I lived at my dads place.

7. Saffy

Saffy Registered Member

well you should try and make some too:D or dont you have the frozen ready made ones,, poor second but better than nothing:)

8. Impact

Impact Registered Member V.I.P. Lifetime

I don't like the ready made ones. When you're bought up on home made yumminess, they just don't compare. I guess when I find motivation to cook a roast next time I could try them out. I've never made them before, but I have a friend who managed to set her kitchen on fire from heating the oil too hot before tipping the mixture into the tins, and that always kinda put me off

9. HalfEatenSurprise

HalfEatenSurprise Registered Member

I thought it would be fitting to reply to this today.

I am having a Sunday Dinner very soon. On the plate there will be:

Roast Chicken
    Yorkshire Pudding
    Sage and Onion Stuffing
    Cabbage
    Boiled Potato
    Roast Potato
    Carrot
    Some other vegetable (Broccoli, Parsniip, Cauliflower)
    All this with a nice drizzle of gravy on it.

Perhaps I'll include some sort of sauce tothe meal, although I usually prefer it plain. And I think bread sauce is a bit of a worthless condiment.

There will even be apple crumble for afters, -

Sunday Dinner is my favourite dinner. It is unbeatable.

10. Saffy

Saffy Registered Member

well dont let the oil get too hot:rolleyes::lol:you should try it thought they are very easy to make:D I agree home made are the best:nod:

yum..not exaxctly sure what im having as yet as going out, but it will be traditional sunday roast, very huge and depends on how much i eat wether i can fit in dessert,,, i normally cant when i go there, and their desserts are yummy too:-/:nod: