Summer is here, time to buy a mountain bike

Mirage

Administrator
Staff member
V.I.P.
Well now that summer is here, the mountain trails seem to be calling me. Trouble is I don't have a mountain bike at the moment.

If anyone here is into mountain biking, what type of features do you recommend for a bike that will last me a while? I don't want to buy a basic bike and then want to upgrade in a few months. I also don't want top of the line that will cost $5,000.

Any ideas?

tater03

Registered Member
I don't mountain bike but we are getting one for my brother this year. Were all going in on it but not sure what they cost. I sure hope he isn't wanting something for 5,000 because he won't be getting one.
I wish I could be of help but I really have no clue. Have you tried running a search for any reviews on any. That's what I like to do when I am looking to buy a big purchase.

Mirage

Administrator
Staff member
V.I.P.
Well an average to above average bike will cost around $1,000-$2,000.

You can also get decent ones for around $500 as well.

Then there are the super high end bikes that get a lot more expensive.

I've got a Trek Fuel EX I bought from a neighbor who was divorcing & moving. $1200 bike, ridden maybe a half-dozen times, & I got it for $500! :D If he hadn't been cheating on his wife, I would've felt guilty.

Mirage

Administrator
Staff member
V.I.P.
I've heard good things about Trek. How do you like it so far?

$500 is a really nice price especially if it was in great condition, which it seems like it was. :)

It's great! It's my first "real" mountain bike - I had an entry-level Schwinn when I was in college. I don't hit anything too gnarly, but so far, it has performed flawlessly.

tater03

Registered Member
Wow, now that is a steal of a deal. I wish I could walk into something like that. We are headed out next weekend to check out some bikes for my brother.

I would suggest you go to your local bike store, see what they have and then research those brands and models. If they have a good reputation, go with what they have. I have had a lot better service (repairs, tweaks, tune ups) by buying from the local guy.