Summer is here, time to buy a mountain bike

Discussion in 'Sports' started by Mirage, May 5, 2007.

1. Mirage

Mirage Administrator Staff Member V.I.P.

Well now that summer is here, the mountain trails seem to be calling me. Trouble is I don't have a mountain bike at the moment.

If anyone here is into mountain biking, what type of features do you recommend for a bike that will last me a while? I don't want to buy a basic bike and then want to upgrade in a few months. I also don't want top of the line that will cost $5,000.

Any ideas?

2. FourBear

FourBear New Member

Can't really help you, but good luck. It seems like all the models I want are waayyy out of my price range. :\

3. tater03

tater03 Registered Member

I don't mountain bike but we are getting one for my brother this year. Were all going in on it but not sure what they cost. I sure hope he isn't wanting something for 5,000 because he won't be getting one.
    I wish I could be of help but I really have no clue. Have you tried running a search for any reviews on any. That's what I like to do when I am looking to buy a big purchase.

4. Mirage

Well an average to above average bike will cost around $1,000-$2,000.

You can also get decent ones for around $500 as well.

Then there are the super high end bikes that get a lot more expensive.

5. chipinoh

chipinoh New Member

I've got a Trek Fuel EX I bought from a neighbor who was divorcing & moving. $1200 bike, ridden maybe a half-dozen times, & I got it for $500! :D If he hadn't been cheating on his wife, I would've felt guilty.

6. Mirage

I've heard good things about Trek. How do you like it so far?

$500 is a really nice price especially if it was in great condition, which it seems like it was. :)

7. chipinoh

chipinoh New Member

It's great! It's my first "real" mountain bike - I had an entry-level Schwinn when I was in college. I don't hit anything too gnarly, but so far, it has performed flawlessly.

8. FourBear

FourBear New Member

You could afford one in college? I'm in college, and so broke now...I was I could afford even an extremely entry-level bike, haha.

9. tater03

tater03 Registered Member

Wow, now that is a steal of a deal. I wish I could walk into something like that. We are headed out next weekend to check out some bikes for my brother.

10. technoflutemom

technoflutemom Registered Member

I would suggest you go to your local bike store, see what they have and then research those brands and models. If they have a good reputation, go with what they have. I have had a lot better service (repairs, tweaks, tune ups) by buying from the local guy.