• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Suicide Now Leading Cause Of Injury-Related Death

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
Suicide has overtaken car crashes in as a leading death cause, new data released indicates in a sobering statistic.

Suicide Now Outstrips Car Crashes As Leading Cause Of Injury-Related Death
Suicide deaths have passed car crash deaths. I know a lot of it is because of economic conditions but how low would you have to feel to do away with yourself? I know loss of income or home can make life seem hopeless especially for those that have no one to help or care. I guess depression can put you in the frame of mind that it is your only way out of a bad situation.

Which car crash deaths have went down due to better engineering, seat belts, laws that are tougher on drunk drivers. What do you think? Think they are really going up or did people use to cover up suicides in families better?

Alta

Registered Member
How suicide has surpassed car crashes is beyond me. Either life is slowly getting crappier for everyone, or people are committing suicide for stupid reasons.

erlendalvestad

Registered Member
Suicide deaths have passed car crash deaths. I know a lot of it is because of economic conditions but how low would you have to feel to do away with yourself? I know loss of income or home can make life seem hopeless especially for those that have no one to help or care. I guess depression can put you in the frame of mind that it is your only way out of a bad situation.

Which car crash deaths have went down due to better engineering, seat belts, laws that are tougher on drunk drivers. What do you think? Think they are really going up or did people use to cover up suicides in families better?
I think you're spot on. Evidently, more resources are going into improving car and road safety than into helping people get out of depression.

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
It use to be embarrassing for a family when one of the members committed suicide. They also thought that the person that took their own life would burn in hell. Now I think we have a better understanding of it and the depression that causes it and are better at recognizing a suicide. Too bad we aren't better at helping people deal with their problems so they won't resort to taking their own life.

Vidic15

No Custom Title Exists
V.I.P.
That's an insane fact. The bad thing about suicide and prevention is that we cannot detect any signs of suicidal behaviour in a person until the time they do it.

A friend of mine is a nurse in a hospital and couple of weeks ago, they had a suicide attempt, the guy did everything possibly to end his life, cut both of his wrists, broke his ribs, stabbed himself twice and they saved him. I imagine he'd be very pissed off.

pro2A

Hell, It's about time!
I've been there. I can tell you that depression has a lot to do with it. Everyone has a breaking point. When things get so out of hand and you are depressed your breaking point threshold is low. It seems like the only way out is to end it. Millions of people are struggling today. People are working harder for more debt. It can be really disconcerting. Many people can't take it. Depression is at an all time high.

Last edited:

MenInTights

not a plastic bag
It makes me question conveniences of modern life. I mean we've got all the technology to make life easier, we work less, more entertainment but still we're more stressed out than ever. I just think life 100 years ago was a lot harder, but being overloaded like we are is not the answer either.

AngelsPeak

Wanna play?
It makes me question conveniences of modern life. I mean we've got all the technology to make life easier, we work less, more entertainment but still we're more stressed out than ever. I just think life 100 years ago was a lot harder, but being overloaded like we are is not the answer either.
Life may have been harder 100 years ago, but I think it's that very hard work that made people feel good at the end of the day. I know that some of my own best days were the ones where I could look back on my accomplishments and feel good about myself.
Many people have become quite lazy and feel as though they are owed something by the world without having to work for it.
Not all suicide is the result of laziness, but feeling good about yourself and what you've done at the end of the day is pretty huge.

MenInTights

not a plastic bag
Life may have been harder 100 years ago, but I think it's that very hard work that made people feel good at the end of the day. I know that some of my own best days were the ones where I could look back on my accomplishments and feel good about myself.
Many people have become quite lazy and feel as though they are owed something by the world without having to work for it.
Not all suicide is the result of laziness, but feeling good about yourself and what you've done at the end of the day is pretty huge.
One thing about today's world is you can get into a cycle where are literally working yourself to death. In my recent past, there's been times when I worked 8am-12am day after day. I did it to pay the light bill because the lights were out to be cut off or the car payment so the car wouldn't get repo'ed or the rent so we wouldn't be homeless. I just think that in the past hard work meant something when today a lot of people are literally killing themselves just to stay afloat. I don't think it was always like that and maybe that's some of the suicide epidemic.
I've never considered suicide, but I can remember a very difficult season in my life where I would pray that God would take me in my sleep. I don't know, I guess that pretty much is considering suicide. For me, I felt like I was drowning in guilt and regret. It felt like everyone I met was judging me, making fun of me and looking down on me. I realize now how wrong I was. First, most people aren't like that. The ones that are aren't worth the time of day anyway. Next I realized that no matter how much I had screwed things up, there were a lot of things in life that I had done right. Most importantly was that God created me and he had plans for me and I was valuable in His sight.

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
I don't think its good to have to work too much, it can make you older than your years and the stress can put you in a early grave. Which I can understand working a lot trying to pay the bills, you have to eat and live. I think it takes more now to pay the bills than it use to.

100 years ago they did have to work harder but when the sun started going down you went to the house. There wasn't TV, the internet getting you more stressed out because of the bad news. You had more quit time and people talked to each other.