Suggest A Book!

Discussion in 'Books & Comics' started by Pugz, Apr 14, 2006.

1. Pugz

Pugz Ms. Malone V.I.P. Lifetime

This is a place where you can suggest books to read or discuss books you've read.

I don't know if Mo Hayder is published in the US but she's an excellent authoress. She's written Birdman,The Treatment, Tokyo and Pig Island. All her books are well written and full of suspense with a lot of twists!

I also recommend Anthony Horowitz, he's written the best selling Alex Rider series (which is now being turned into films! Which will be better than POTTER! XD), Horowitz/More Horowitz Horrors, The Diamond Brothers series,The Killing Joke and the new Power of Five series. He also writes a lot of suspense with plot twists and a slight comedy!

2. lilbballfrk

lilbballfrk Guest

I really recommend Fat Kid Rules the World by K.L Going. It is a great book which everyone should read. The author describes the life a of 295 pound boy who thinks he has no reason to live. He then meets a homeless man thats a legend at a school. The kid becomes really good friends with the homeless man and somehow promised him that he would play as a drummer in the man's band. It really is a great story and I would recommend this book to anyone.

3. A.M. Radio

A.M. Radio Guest

Only one book I can suggest to anyone.

Watership Down: The greatest piece of fiction ever written.

4. Malificus

Malificus Likes snow

I suggest The Redemption of Althalus by6 David Eddings.

It's an awesome fantasy book from a great writer.

5. moose

moose O N03Z!!! 4 /V0Z!!!

I suggest you reading the cirque de freak series by darren shan. There great books. I do believe there is 8 books.

Its about a boy who needs to become a half vampire to save his best friend. But then ironicly his best friend becomes a vampire hunter

6. Well, if you can't tell what my first suggestion will be from my avatar you need to go read Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card. Quite simply: I read this in 8th grade and I haven't found a better book yet. I've reread it a few times, and I've read every book in the series/sister series (in total there are 8 books that are all fairly short except for Xenocide). Xenocide gets a bit boring toward the middle but picks up at the end, and the book after it (Children of the Mind) is completely worth it. Ender's Game is a sci-fi based around children who are being raised to be commanders in a war against aliens. Almost the entire book takes place in an orbital space station called Battle School where the students are assigned to armies and play war games in zero-g. Well, that's not all of the book, but that's the first part you see.

The next book I recommend is The Golden Compass by Phillip Pullman. I can't really think of much to write about this one that isn't a spoiler. The first book centers around a girl named Lyra. The world Lyra lives in is similar to ours, but peoples' souls are represented as "dæmons" (separate physical entities that can morph shape while the person is young, but stay fixed when the person has matured). Lyra comes into posession of a rare object called The Golden Compass (of which there are only five in the world). The Golden Compass will answer any question asked of it, but represents its answers in pictures. There are books that are able to translate what a Golden Compass says, but Lyra is able to read it without any aid. The latter two books in the series involve Lyra's travels across several worlds.

The Wheel of Time is only for you if you want to read an epic fantasy that spans 11 books averaging around 800-900 pages each.

Young Wizards is another good series. The magic is not some wand-waving and gibberish words. Spells are constructed in a similar method to programming. In fact, there are several refrences to programming in the magic (such as the Kernel of a world, which is a ruleset that each world has that can be altered if you can find it). A very unique take on magic.

7. Nestor

Nestor Guest

Literature? Genuine Literature? As in stuff that isn't pounded out by hacks and stocked on the shelves every week? On The Road By Jack Kerouac. Anthem, by Ayn Rand. Good stuff.

8. Uber_mutt

Uber_mutt Guest

I totally recommend Twilight By Stephenie Meyer. Its about this girl named Bella who is the epitome of clumsy(shes so cute) but she moves in with her dad and meets this guy named Edward who turns out to be a vampire(didn't spoil it says it on the back). But there is love, danger, pain and baseball...whoot. Its really sweet.

9. See_Me_Fly

See_Me_Fly Guest

well theres the Magyk series by Angie Sage, which is quite enjoyable, then theres the witty and hilariously funny comments from a djinni (genie) in the book, The Amulet of Samarkand, though people say they didn't like the sequels...

Then for serious reading, there's Memoirs of a Geisha by Arthur Golden, Society of Others by William Nicholson, and thats pretty much it, though my sister reccommends Oryx and Crake by Margaret Atwood...oh and Shade's Children by Garth Nix... I suggest you read other books by Garth Nix too... :D i hoped i helped you...

10. Vincent_Valentine

Vincent_Valentine Studley-Do-Right

I whole-heartedly endorse "John Dies at the End" by David Wong.

If anyone is a fan of internet humor sites, you may have come across Davids website, Pointless Waste of Time

The book is essentially a suspense/horror book. The thing that makes it great though is that it has Davids sense of humor inerted into it without ruining the flow. It has a detailed, intricate plot that compells the reader. The great thing about it is that you can either go buy a copy or you can read it for free online at http://www.johndiesattheend.com. It does have "profane language," so it's not for kids.