Success and Failure (News story inside)

Merc

Certified Shitlord
V.I.P.
My Way News - Texas girls hoops team seeks forfeit of 100-0 win

DALLAS (AP) - A Texas high school girls basketball team on the winning end of a 100-0 game has a case of blowout remorse. Now officials from The Covenant School say they are trying to do the right thing by seeking a forfeit and apologizing for the margin of victory.

"It is shameful and an embarrassment that this happened," Kyle Queal, the head of the school, said in a statement, adding the forfeit was requested because "a victory without honor is a great loss."

The private Christian school defeated Dallas Academy last week. Covenant was up 59-0 at halftime.

Apologizing? For facing a shitty team? I'm sorry, but this strikes me as one of the serious problems in this country. See, we hate to see people fail understandably, but we also hate to see people succeed, especially succeed in a big way. I think it's ridiculous that this team is seeking a forfeit after they killed the opposition who put up no challenge whatsoever.

That's how sports work. Two teams play one another and whatever happens stays on the field. The story itself goes on to say how none of the girls on the losing team were upset nor dwelled upon the loss. Good for them, that's what I like to hear. They kept their heads up and figured, "Whatever, we move on and try again" and that's the attitude more people need. But no, people like the other team are seeking to apologize for their victory.

People need to stop feeling guilty for being successful. Yes, there are times that you let up because it's getting one sided, but if the other team cannot compete even in the slightest, is quitting or giving the game up to the other team really the appropriate thing to do? To me, that's like saying, "We're sorry you suck so hard so here, you can win this one." It's condescending. I understand that the team is trying to come off as respectful but seriously, you didn't disrespect the other team . . they just suck at basketball, plain and simple.

Perhaps this mindset is why I don't like to just blame "corporate America" or the "fat cats" for our country's problems because yeah some of these CEOs and owners are greedy bastards, but not all of them. A lot of these guys started with ideas and shitty living conditions and hit the top, why does that make them assholes all of a sudden? Well, I guess that's the end of my rant. So the questions I ask are:

Is this an acceptable end to this basket-blowout? Are you "guilty" for being successful or would you feel guilty if you were? Do you agree or disagree that the balance between success and failure is lopsided?

NINnerd

Survived a M&G with Trent
I think this is a part of why kids are growing up soft nowadays. Notice it's a Christian school that wants to apologize, etc.

However, the losing team has learning disabilities. On top of that, there are only 20 total girls at the school. Meaning their 8-person team probably isn't the best of the best. It's just whoever wanted to be on the team. So was it even fair to let them play against a "regular" school?

Bananas

Endangered Species
Wow...that is realy condescending.

Not only are we going to whip your inferior butts and pulicize it, we are also going to forfeit our greatness because thats how great we really are!

If a 100-0 victory is not enough. How patronizing can you get?

I would hope in this story that the team that scored 0 at least placed some effort into the game and prevented the score being 101-0 or higher, they are praising the other team for not scoring more, that disgusts me, they should praise the other team for at least putting in a valant if not abysmal effort. The team that won should be honoured in victory, for them to discredit it places shame on the loosers.

Is this an acceptable end to this basket-blowout? Are you "guilty" for being successful or would you feel guilty if you were? Do you agree or disagree that the balance between success and failure is lopsided?
gloat gloat gloat,man....its the spoils of war.

If we remove the element of success then we remove the elements that drive us to attempt such things. Success is a reward of accomplished effort.

Last edited:

Smelnick

Creeping On You
V.I.P.
That's really out there in my opinion. I don't see how that could be fair. So now, it's going to become a joke. Instead of teams trying to beat the other teams, they're going to try to lose as much as possible to guilt the other side into forfeiting.

I mean, it's nice of them to try to be nice to the other team, but that's the wrong way to do it. Just schedule a rematch, offer them tips on how to get better. To simply go 'oh sorry that you suck, here have the win' is complete patronization and condescension.

This is completely ridiculous, not to mention patronising. I wonder how the loosing team responded to that. I'd be embarrased. Everything is so bloody bubble-wrapped these days!

Its not an acceptable end... I would not feel guilty if I were successful because it would show hard work pays off. The only exception to that that I can think of was if it was unfair to begin with, in which case, they shouldn't have played in the first place, or understood that it was always going to be an unfair end result.

Success is a reward of accomplished effort.
well said!

Smelnick

Creeping On You
V.I.P.
.....The only exception to that that I can think of was if it was unfair to begin with, in which case, they shouldn't have played in the first place, or understood that it was always going to be an unfair end result......

Actually yah, I was gonna make that point too but I forgot. Did they not realize beforehand that this team sucked? Why even play them if there was going to be such an unfair advantage? Kudos for similiar thoughts bex =P

Last edited:
"Pathetic" is just not a good enough word to sum this story up. Teams get shut out and blown out in other sports all the time but you don't see them getting soft when they realize they've embarassed the opposing team. Not the winning team's the other one didn't come to play or has as much talent as a paper bag. Just like with the "playing bad kids at sports" thread, you win and you lose, that's how competitition works.

And this is only giving this team the go-ahead to give in and be a miserable failure later on.

ExpectantlyIronic

e̳̳̺͕ͬ̓̑̂ͮͦͣ͒͒h̙ͦ̔͂?̅̂ ̾͗̑
You win a game of basketball by having more points than the other team. The team that won wasn't ashamed about winning, or being better at basketball, but ashamed about being callous. They recognized they weren't as successful as they could have been by being gracious in their victory.

Last edited:

Turbo

Registered Member
Truthfully the fact that they want the game removed from records is an even bigger slap in the face than the 100-0 win. Basically it became a we feel bad for using you situation. Even if they had taken it easy on the disabled team it would've been wrong. Competing at your best, regardless of ability, is the idea of sports. These catholic girls have double sinned technically.